“Great food, great service”
Review of Common Plea Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Common Plea Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I don't usually review restaurants because whether you like a place is so subjective. But the reviews for the Common Plea vary so much that I thought I would report our very positive experience. We were seated promptly at a table we selected, and given the drink menus. They did have several wines by the glass.

Our server was knowledgeable and attentive, but not intrusive. Showed some personality, but was not overly personal. In sum, exactly what you want in a server. We were encouraged to customize our dishes, which was unexpected and welcome. All the food we ordered was really good, esp. the steak and the veal dishes. Everything was presented nicely. This was very tasty food; not wild and novel, but a good and updated take on some classic items. A big hit with our family group, which ranged in age from 20 to 92. Reasonably priced for the quality of the food and the upscale atmosphere.

2  Thank Needsavacation

Reviewed April 24, 2011

We eat out every week. We hadn't been to Common Plea for more than a year, and had family in. We had reservations, but it took 20 minuntes to reset a table. We sat down, the waitress insisted we look at the "speciality drinks" and wine list before we could have the menus, and would not give them to us. We said we didn't know what wine to order until we ordered food. The wine list was pretty good, but no vintages noted, and nothing by the glass. The food was very good. One of four said it was OK, but ate it all. One of us wanted potato, which we were told was not available. She didn't say French fries were available. It took an hour to get the main course. Overall, a mixed experience.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

My husband and I have been there many times, but that was 10 years or so ago. So we decided to treat ourselves and make the trip downtown for what used to be a great meal at a fair price. Well - it's not anymore. The $15 - choose 3 - soup, salad and appetizer or 3 appetizers, whatever three you like - were children portions or better yet, “baby portions”, except for the soup which was a full cup and very tasty. Wine was $12 a glass. My husband choose one of the specials, a filet which came with a side of asparagus (there were 4), the filet was dry and chewy. I think someone should tell the chef to "sear" the meat before grilling to keep in the juices. This small filet and 4 asparagus cost $32.00, which when told to us, the price was never mentioned. I choose the chicken picotta with a $6 side of angle string onion rings which came with a blue cheese dipping sauce. The chicken was thicker than I like and had to be cut with a knife; to me this type of chicken should be thinner and cut with a fork. Thank God we had my blue cheese dipping sauce from my onion strings because we both dipped our entrees in it for come flavor. I don’t think these use any salt or seasonings. Oh, and the “bread” before hand was a mixture of some kind of hard flat very thin bread and Italian – now how do you dip hard flat thin bread? The oil to dip in also had no flavor, just tasted like oil. So, okay, a disappointment – the dessert can’t be bad, right? Wrong. The tiramisu was mostly the spongy ladyfinger part, hardly any creamy cheese mixture at all. Nothing stays the same forever. We’ll never go back.

1  Thank pittsburghgirl050
Reviewed September 18, 2010

there were four of us in for dinner and 2 of us had never been there. we were greeted at the door by a well dressed manager who new our friends by name. Does this still happen today?...our service at first seemed disjointed but then we realized she had another table that seemed needy. she returned and soon we were enjoying some interesting cocktails that were pointed out by her.the food was what was expected but menu limited. some times you have to change but we liked it old school this time.

Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed in Piitsburgh recently. I chose the Common Plea from online reviews ahead of our visit. It was a distinct disappointment! When we called to ask if we needed to make a reservation on a Tuesday evening, the person on the phone replied rather snootily "reservations are required!". The atmosphere is nice enough but there is an old, stodgy kind of feel to it. We were seated promptly when we arrived by a host who seemed indifferent to us. The wine list did not include any "by the glass" listings so I asked the waitress what was available. She listed 4 wines by type without letting me know the vintners. When I asked for a description of two of them it was obvious she had not been given any information to pass on to diners. The wine I chose turned out to be quite bad but I didn't want to challenge our waitress any further so just "sucked it up". Our appetizer and salads were good and beautifully presented. The bread was very good, served with a good quality olive oil. Our entrees were NOT very good. My husband had barely average cheese ravioli and I had gummy gnocchi in a bland sauce. The nice "bite" of properly done gnocchi was not to be had! The shrimp accompanying the gnocchi were large and flavorful, however. Our waitress was attentive enough but mis-read several of our questions. All in all, we weren't very pleased, especially for the price. I would recommend that people look elsewhere. There are other restaurants in Pittsburgh in the same price range that will provide a better experience.