“Good Italian!”
Review of Lidia's

Lidia's
Reserve with OpenTable
Lidia's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cross street: 15th Street
Caracas, Venezuela
“Good Italian!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This a fairly large, boisterous and crowded Italian restaurant, owned by a now well known chef/restaurateur sitting in what appeared to be an old warehouse in its previous life. The place was pleasant however the tables were tightly packed. The decor was just OK.
Our party was numerous and was bracing myself for a just average business dinner but was pleasantly surprised by the food served and the service.
Ordered the special of the house, the 3 type pasta plate and was again surprised by the fact that they were all served "al dente", just right but maybe with a bit too much sauce; they were all served on the same plate which was unusual since they had a tendency to mix with each other but they were very good and, as a matter of fact, repeated two of them, as well as a few members of our party.
The wines served were an Italian Pinot Grigio and 2 different reds; the price/value was on the high side, not unusual these days at well concurred restaurants.
Service was very good throughout the meal.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, TX
“Excellent restaurant living up to its namesake”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Firstly, I have to react to another review that mentions Spaghetti Warehouse as being a better alternative. If that's your idea of good pasta then you don't know anything about pasta.

I had lunch twice here on a recent business trip. I can't believe I walked right by this restaurant without noticing it. I have watched Lidia on PBS for years, and I'm glad I stumbled upon the restaurant. The first time I ate was on Sunday at brunch. I sat at the bar and Rob was extremely helpful. The brunch buffet was really the only thing available, but he let me order off the list of brunch offerings. I had the chicken panini (again something another review mentioned). It was, by far, one of the best sandwiches I have had: perfectly toasted, chicken cooked just right. The accompanying bread basket was served with two different kinds of butter that were excellent.

The second time I went was two days later for lunch with a co-worker. We each had the pasta trio. They bring out the pans in which the pasta was cooked, serving it straight from the pan. I'm not a fan of pears, but the 4-cheese and pear ravioli in a butter sauce was amazing! So was the papardelle with ricotta and spinach, and the fussilli with a tomato-based sausage sauce. I had seconds (unlimited) of the ravioli. I was a little surprised by the Caesar salad that accompanied the meal. It was swimming in the dressing. Having watched Lidia for years, though, I would have expected this. I actually like a lot of dressing on my salad, so this was not a bad thing. Someone else, though, might not have liked it. Indeed, my co-worker had asked for her dressing on the side and was glad she did.

The prices were actually good. Again, I'm not sure what other reviewers expect. I'm guessing they are tourists that, when eating out at home, go to Olive Garden or some other chain. The prices were perfectly in line with what was served, if not even less expensive. I had actually expected higher prices.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was high style, but still casual. It looked like it was an old warehouse, and the space had been used perfectly.

I would have loved to go back for dinner and tried more items, but oh well...

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just average”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Why the excitement. This place is average. The food is just ok you won't be rocked. It's not bad but. Crazy over priced. Try somewhere else. Not worth it.

• Visited September 2012
“Price too high for so-so food”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stuck wih the pastas and salad. None of the dishes were memorable. Pastas tend too be heavily flavored with a lot of cheese. We ordered the 3-different pasta special. They put all three at the same time on the same plate, none of them were made to order, coming out warm but not hot. The crowded plate led to flavors mixing together. Would not recommend this dish.

Service was ok but not warm or friendly. None of the servers smiled.

I would not return there.

Adam G, Manager at Lidia's, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for Lidia’s Italy in Pittsburgh on Trip Advisor. I want to extend my apologies that the food was not to your expectation in the way of flavor.

We pride ourselves on our pastas, especially our house specialty Pasta Trio, so any feedback on this dish is taken very seriouslyin order to make sure that what we are providing is always of the highest quality, greatest flavor and enjoyable temperatures. I can assure you that every pasta trio is made to order and delivered tableside in the pans in which each of the three were cooked in.

If you would be so kind as to contact me so that I may review your experience in finer detail and so that I may make the appropriate corrections it would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at 412.552.0150 or via email at agreiner@lidias-pittbsurgh.com. Thank you again for your candid 3-star review.

Truly,

Adam M. Greiner
Manager
Lidia’s Pittsburgh
agreiner@lidias-pittsburgh.com
412.552.0150
New York, New York, United States
“I expected more from this place”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went to Lydia's in Pittsburgh twice in las year and was not impressed either time. Wile Teh service was good, the food was just OK, for a place with her name on it I really expected quality to be better. We got some appetizers which were smaller portions of salad which were very good, however the actual meals got was the pasta sampler which is unlimited pasta for a fixed price and here were 3 choices. All of them I would rank as average, nothing that I wold say WOW about. Overall great location where hey cold do so much more with if they fixed menu a little.

Visited May 2013
Adam G, Manager at Lidia's, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for Lidia’s Italy in Pittsburgh on Trip Advisor. We were delighted to serve you, but ashamed to learn that the food quality did not meet your satisfaction.

We usually receive glowing compliments on our pastas, especially our house specialty Pasta Trio, so when I read of an experience such as yours with that offering, I would like to speak with you about the pastas themselves to ensure that what we are providing is always of the highest quality, greatest flavor and enjoyable temperatures.

If you would be so kind as to contact me so that I may review your experience in finer detail and so that I may make the appropriate corrections it would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at 412.552.0150 or via email at agreiner@lidias-pittbsurgh.com. Thank you again for your candid 3-star review, and please accept my deepest apologies for it.

Truly,