“Warmth all the way through”
Review of Lidia's

Lidia's
Reserve with OpenTable
Lidia's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 2,209 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Walked from Hampton on a cold windy evening( only 2 blocks) Reception was enthusiastic and competent. Room was gorgeous in modern style. Wait staff were all excellent, 4 or 5 of them in various roles did not get in each other's way.
Food was exceptional: Tuscan fennel and bean soup in tomato base was perfect for that cold night(not on regular menu) Meatballs and octopus were on the regular menu and were outstanding. Osso buco was shank, not knuckle, but was so specified on menu, so no marrow, but still excellent. Beet, apple and goat cheese salad a nice mix.
I always find Sangiovese from other regions than Tuscany to be very good and good value; this was true of the Verdi from Veneto. Screw cap, but that's okay with me.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

While in Pittsburgh ate at Lydia's. A bit expensive (relatively speaking) but the food is good and the service is excellent.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife is Italian so our family has a very high standard when it comes to Italian food. It is usually quite difficult to find this standard in most cities we have visited but Lidia's was second to none.

We don't even normally have pasta at restaurants because nobody makes it like my family does. I was wrong. Three of the four of my family tried the pasta trio and we all enjoyed it and asked for more which they kindly took too. We also ordered a fried calamari and veggies along with the bread and dip they kindly provided before dinner. It was all fantastic and my son cleaned his plate of spaghetti from the kids menu.

I would highly recommend to anyone searching for authentic Italian food and I would most certainly done there again. The staff was nice and knowledgeable. I just wish they would open up a restaurant now in Toronto!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have eaten at several Italian restaurants in the Pittsburgh area when I visit my daughter and this was a disappointment. Each of us ordered something different so we could taste different dishes. The lasagna was bland and my daughter ordered their pasta trio which is a house specialty but none of the dishes had that great flavor we expected. I doubt we would go back as there are better options in the area.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My father and I were eating here for a couple days looking at the colleges in a nearby town. As a celebration, we decided to go to Lidia's, as we have watched Lidia Bastianich's cooking programs on PBS for many years. It was obviously popular, as the restaurant was booked full for the night, and we could not get a reservation, however the gladly and graciously took us in as walk-ins. We ended up eating at the bar because we didn't mind and because I want to be a chef when I grow up. This gave me a very nice view into a busy kitchen and what it was like. Anyways, when we sat down, we were immediately greeted by the bar tender. I believe his name was Paul, however, whoever he was, he was an extremely good waiter and multi-tasker. His job was to serve those who only ordered drinks their drinks, serve those who ordered food their food, clean the tables, make the drinks, and consult with the kitchen simultaneously. It was interesting to see how this Paul handled a busy night, as he was punctual, friendly, polite, and conscious of the each diner in front of him. The service was very fast, and the head chef knew when to time the dishes to make sure they came out on time. As for the food, the bread was warm and unctuous and accented by the side of olive oil we dipped into. We always save some bread to perform "Scarpetta", the Italian action of mopping the bread through the sauce to soak up every last drop. I started with the Polipo, a Mediterranean octopus salad with potatoes onions, and frisee. It was tender, smoky and delicious. The next course was the Ravioli di Cinghiale that I shared with my dad, 2 GIGANTIC pillows of ravioli with a creamy interior and glutinous exterior. It was absolutely delicious, however, with another course, I found that they were too big. I would have been happier with 4 small pillows rather than 2 large ones which took up the entirety of the plate. And the finally (because we were so full we couldn't eat dessert), was the Bistecca, a perfectly cooked 20 ounce rib eye steak with super crispy potatoes, roasted tomatoes, and garlicky broccoli rabe. I the steak was juicy and lucious, however the broccoli rabe I did feel, was a tad bit over cooked. I would have appreciated some more crunch and texture.

In conclusion, the food was amazing with just a few things that could be changed. However, the flaws in the food were always covered up by the service and the ambiance of the restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant to anybody who enjoys true Italian food.