“Mixed Feelings”
Review of Kaya

Kaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Kaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 2,254 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Strip District
Cross street: 20th Street
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I went to Kaya this weekend for a late lunch and I have mixed feelings about the place. It is small and cozy...but a bit too cozy as the tables are VERY close together. You can literally hear the entire conversations of the tables next to you. So if you are looking to have a private conversation over your meal this is NOT the place to go. Our waitress was very nice and helpful but she left empty glasses and an empty carafe on the table for a very long time. If the tables had been large it wouldn't have been a big deal but the tables are very very small. The empty items were in our way once the food arrived. The food...my boyfriend got the pulled pork quesadilla ($14) and said it was very good. I got the Cuban sandwich ($12). It was good but way too much bread for my liking. It had thick bread so I could barely taste the meats inside. Towards the end I removed the inside from one half of the sandwich and moved it to the other and ditched the bread from the empty side. We had the sangria ($20) which was tasty and we wanted more...but not for $20. We each had one cocktail after lunch so in the end, after taxes and tip...we spent about $74. So it ended up being a pricey lunch but that can be avoided if you don't have cocktails. Th sweet potato fries are yummy and you get a lot! Neither one of us could finish ours! So I am giving this place an average rating since I am torn...

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great food options for vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters. Very nice use of spices, flavors and vegetables. I liked it so well I went back two nights in a row. The first night I had the tofu tacos and the second night I had the tofu cracklins and paella. The lady next to me had the fish tacos which looked amazing. The portions are HUGE. I have a big appetite and took food home both nights.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

A friend and I arrived at 6:00, and were told all inside tables were reserved for the next 2 hours, which was a big surprise. But it was a nice enough day, so we accepted outdoor seating. Waiter was great, and very helpful with menu items. My friend and I shared generous orders of fish tacos
and vegetarian paella - and to our amazement, ate every morsel! Menu seemed a little pricey for the neighborhood, but we enjoyed it.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We enjoyed the calamari and the tofu cracklins - great sauce! Our mahi-mahi was very good, but the jerked pulled pork quesadillas which my son had were a bit more exciting. The sangria with the meal was refreshing and not too sweet. Certainly a delicious meal.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was in Pittsburgh for the weekend, and me and my wife were looking for a good place to grab a late lunch in the strip district. A few places we tried to go to were closed (which I thought was odd for a Sunday when both the Pirates and Steelers had home games), so we ended up going to Kaya based on the good reviews onlined.

We got there at around 3:00, and I was upset when I found out that I couldn't order some of the dishes I saw on the online menu, because they don't start serving dinner until 4:00. So I ended up "settling" for the Cuban sandwich. It turned out to be one of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life. My wife had a chorizo and eggs breakfast dish that she loved also.

So the food was amazing, the place has nice decor, good music at an appropriate (not too loud volume), and the Pirates game on the TV. Next time in Pittsburgh I'd like to go back and try some of the things I didn't get the chance to order off of the dinner menu.

Oh, and the food was very reasonably priced. $10 for an amazing sandwich, waffle fries and some pickles!