“Taste of the Islands”
Review of Kaya

Kaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Kaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,266 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Strip District
Cross street: 20th Street
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was a great experience. As an out-of-towner, the whole "strip" situated in what used to be the warehouse district is a bit of an oddity, but to find this gem transported from the Caribbean was wonderful. We sat outside, and it was very pleasant. Even there, though, the music was a bit too loud. That would be my only reservation about the place. It was bedlam inside as we passed through on the way to our table.

The menu itself was quite varied. The conch chowder was excellent, and the fish tacos had the right blend of crisp, tang & succulent tasty fish. The chantarelle mushroom risotto (vegetarian) was also rich and tasty. There are plenty of choices for both vegetarians and omnivores, but on the third Wednesday of each month they have a prix fix vegetarian menu that looked great.

The bar features several creative concoctions, and we were satisfied with our choices. An interesting offering we passed on was a series of "rum flights" that would allow you to compare and contrast various styles (and price points) for a reasonable charge. I may have to try that next time.

All in all an enjoyable experience I would happily repeat.

1  Thank VirtuallyAnywhere

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stumbled upon this gem on Visit to Pittsburgh. What a great and pleasant surprise. I had chicken breast with enchilada-had great avacado salad as well. Wonderful flavor, chicken breast was cooked to perfection. Spouse had grilled salmon salad with cilantro-balsamic dressing. Included spicy pecans, manchego cheese and granny smith apple. Coup de gras was the key lime pie. I know how basic could that be. This version was deconstructed with house made ginger graham crisps. Dont miss this wonder. Out server Robin was a doll and very knowledgable. In the Strip district. Beautiful interior.part of a larger restaurant group...I hope they expand.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a delicious lunch at Kaya this past weekend.
I ordered the pulled pork and banana sandwich with the soup of the day (watermelon gazpacho was superb) and a mixed green salad. My husband had the jerk chick torta with sweet potato fries which was also very good.
We also enjoyed cocktails, guavtini and the dark and stormy.
Excellent food and service at Kaya. Highly recommended.

1  Thank LaRa12
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love Kaya. We have been going there for a long time and the food is always really really good. I'd like to see some menu changes once in a while, but the standards are tasty, well prepared, seasoned to perfection. Also, there are some reasonable options price wise. Additionally, it's great that it's open late on the Strip (easy access for my family) b/c many of the restaurants in that area close very early.

Sometimes, the wait staff can be a little slow or inattentive, but mostly it's pretty decent.

My main complaint is that the sewer system outside is quite rank. The last time we ate there, we sat outside in order to be seated more quickly (and quietly) but the whole meal was pervaded by the smell of sewage and every time a car drove by, the smell wafted over out table and it colored the meal.

1  Thank klsyking
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Sometimes Resturants too hard to be hip, and cool, and I think that is the problem with this place. A bloody Mary called vampari with fruit juice and tomato juice ? Yucky! The 3 salad trio was bland, and the fish taco tasted like it was made with fish sticks. The server was good, and maybe we just were there on a bad day ... Oh and my feet stuck to the floor on the way to the basement bathroom