“Best Fish Sandwich Ever”
Review of Robert Wholey's

Robert Wholey's
Ranked #25 of 2,195 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Strip District
Description: We are proud to say we have been selling fresh fish, seafood, meat, and poultry since 1912.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Lived near Pittsburgh for 40 years, love going to the strip districk to shop but most of all to Wholey's for the Fish Sandwich. Now we live in Alabama and every trip back to the area includes a trip to the strip for a fish sandwich. Everything they have is good, but you can't find a fish sandwich like this in the south, believe me, we've looked. They even have a small area for kids to play so we could just stop & talk & enjoy the atmosphere.

4  Thank Deb596

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We eat here for lunch at least once every time we visit Pittsburgh. The fish sandwiches are huge and delicious. There is so many items (Shrimp, soup) that look good that I want to try in the future. Also, there is fresh seafood to buy and take home at very good prices. This is a very unique fish market/restaurant. Almost reminds me of the outdoor fish market in Seattle. You do not see many like this in other cities.

1  Thank dnrdavies
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This place is bustling with people! They have a great selection of fish and I found it very cool, how you can stand and watch them scale the fish and get it prepared for the customer. The fish you can order from the restaurant is spectacular! It has so much flavor! I would recommend getting a few pieces to at least try, there. It's worth it!

1  Thank gobucks951
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I love going down to the Strip to shop, and Wholey's is always a spot I go to for the fresh seafood. They have all sorts of hot foods, soups and sushi to snack on for lunch while you shop, with a seating area upstairs. I have eaten there before and mostly grabbed a munchie to hold me over, but nothing too serious. I once had a very bad reaction to the fried fish sandwhich, but it was the oil that it was fried in rather than the fish. No fault of Wholey's, it was kind of a once in a blue moon reaction....for the record, I rather enjoyed the sandwhich while I was eating it, but I no longer get that or any of the other fried stuff, but the lobster bisque is surperb, and you can get it cold to take home. All in all, a must stop when in Pittsburgh. A very busy place, but fun!

1  Thank EYWfan4life
Reviewed January 12, 2011

From the moment you enter the front door you feel the buzz...a hectic lunch counter with an array of tasty menu items...fried clams, oysters, shrimp, scallops, fish sandwiches, crab cakes, lobster bisque, clam chowder....it's all good. I am from Southern Ontario and visit Pittsburgh at least once a year. Wholeys is always my first stop!

1  Thank Grant R