“Best Japanese restaurant in Pittsburgh area, period”
Review of Umi

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Cross street: College Avenue
Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

I had not dined at Umi for several years prior to last night. Umi is one of the Big Burrito restaurant group, and is up to their reputation for high quality food and service. We enjoyed seating at a Tatami table, which is the low table with cut out for your legs (so you don’t have to sit cross-legged). In the past, I have enjoyed their Omakase (chef choices), but prefer to choose my own selection from their extensive and delicious offerings. Highlights included the yellowtail with jalapeños, the sawara, the dragon roll and the shrimp tempura (their best seller). Their sakes are also top class. It is a pricy restaurant, but well worth it. My wife made me promise to take us back there soon. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed May 12, 2018 via mobile

I have been waiting for a long time to eat at Umi-timing never worked. I jumped at the opportunity that was presented this week and it was worth the wait. My wife and I went work another couple that had been there a few times and let them order the first few dishes. Everything was wonderful, fresh and presented like artwork. I especially liked the Black Cod with Miso sauce and the Red Snapper with Mushroom. Truffle Sauce off of the Uni Specials Section. On our next visit we are going to try the Omakase 7 course meal. Lastly be advised that Umi is expensive so I suggest reviewing the menu online to get a feel for the pricing.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 12, 2018

I am so happy to have dined here! The atmosphere was beautiful and calming. Very clean restaurant. The sushi was top-notch! I tried certain items that I was sure I wouldn't like (from previous restaurants/experiences). I fell in love with the very things I thought I didn't like. The sushi is super fresh and amazingly delicious! I am very eager to add this to my must-visit list next time I'm in Pittsburgh.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

We eat octopus regularly at many wonderful Japanese establishments throughout the country.This experience was unbelievable. $17.00 EACH for tako su that was complete rubber with zero presentation . We never mind paying any price for excellence but high prices for substandard fare is unacceptable. In addition the waiter was amazingly condescending for such an overstated but underrated restaurant. The manager did nothing to make it better other than suggest we order more items that we’re sure were equally mediocre. He retreated in a huff rather than trying to at least suggest a solution. So sad when Big Burrito restaurants are usually ...at minimum...above average. Will never return since so many better sushi options in Pittsburgh and certainly in other cities.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Bgksav
Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

Excellent Sushi. If you have the time and the money order the 11 course dinner. Awesome fresh and creative sushi. Excellent atmosphere. Small and cozy. Good for couples.

Date of visit: September 2017