“Amazing!”

Tamarind Savoring India
Ranked #442 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Description: At Tamarind, we continue to offer classical cuisine from several regions of India, with a particular understanding of the food that is prepared in palaces and gourmet homes, along with a selection of the best of 'street food'. Visit our second location at Cranberry, PA.
United States
“Amazing!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Service was pretty slow but the food is worth the suffering and wait. It's not the average buffet quality food - the food here is really good. I normally do not tolerate bad service at restaurants well but I deal with it here because the food is that good!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank YKL1

• Arabic first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Good”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have enjoyed the food.Food was amazing, but I feel it is hard to find an Indian food restaurant in Pittsburgh that isn't good. Staff spoke very clear English which is always a plus. Spices were well done. Service was good

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Abhishek G
Houston, Texas
“Good Value, Good Service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

After my GPS failed to locate this restaurant, we were about to depart to any eaterie we could find, but we were fortunate to find a local Indian who pointed me in the right direction. I am glad he did, as we enjoyed a good, tasty meal, and chatted with the management and staff during our long lunch.

The Tamarind is a small, south Indian restaurant set into a strip mall in the Greentree suburb, easily overlooked to those who do not know this area, and we nearly missed it. The menu is plentiful and you can be sure to see a lot of customers. We were seated almost immediately by a waiter, which is sometimes overlooked in many restaurants which are fairly small. We passed on the buffet and went Al la Carte, with two of my family opting for the mutton biryani. As always their eyes are bigger than their belly's as they can never finish a plate, so 'to go' boxes are a pre-requisite, and it does make for a tasty supper. Our other teen as always went for the chicken tikka, and he always eats as much as he can, so he was happy.

My wife and I went with the vegetable samosa's, and these were very nice, cooked well and were suitably spiced, so even the kids had them. This was followed by me having the chicken korma, which was very good, not too sweet but the chicken pieces were succulent, this came with pillau rice. My wife opted for the chilli chicken and for sure, it was hotter than what I was able to endure, but she ate it happily and even though she was hungry, also took a 'to go' box.

The naan bread was good, and this is often achilles heel with Indian restaurants. Some places make bread as thin as possible such that if they cool down before you eat them, they go hard. However here, they were soft and thicker, so they were much tastier.

As always, I finish up with a bowl of kheer, and often this simple dish can be poor in some restaurants, yet here it was perfect, good consistency, great taste, and just the right amount of cardamom. The kids always pass this up, as they are usually too stuffed to participate in a such a delightful dessert.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed this meal, and so glad we found it. When next in the are, I will visit again. They got a nice tip afterwards.

One note of caution, this is a small strip mall, and parking can be a bit of a pain, so don't come I a group with several cars, especially on the weekends as the other shops are equally busy.

My

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great Buffet with Veggie and Non-Veggie choices”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is the one and only GOTO place in pittsburgh for great indian food.
I have had a chance to explore buffet options in New York,Toronto, Niagra, Jersey City and Pittsburgh and this is the best when you compare the taste and price.

It is my favourite Weekend Brunch place. Its definitely a sigh of relief specially for the people looking for authentic Indian taste

• Visited January 2013
Bengaluru, India
“Buffet is worth the price”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The buffet spread was good. Re-filled the dishes on time. Everything on the menu was really nice.

• Visited August 2011