“Worth a try”
Review of Casbah

Casbah
Reserve with OpenTable
Casbah is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,210 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Cross street: Alder Street
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have always liked the Big Burrito Group restaurants, this one included. Interesting selection of entrees with unusual accompaniments. I had the short rib ravioli recently which was superb; this time I went with the strozzapretti; it was ok but I would not have gone for seconds if dining at home. I was actually surprised with the size of the entree; it was just enough for me but might not have been for someone with a large appetite, especially considering the price. Tasted the double cut pork chop which was done perfectly: moist, tasty, a large cut. Bread was provided with a cured Greek yogurt spread, an interesting choice, and butter. We ordered the grilled flatbread appetizer; I liked the spreads but my companion thought they were rather bland. Two thirds of the restaurant seating is actually in the outdoor courtyard; nice for summer dining. We were told it the courtyard is open in the winter as well with a heater along the top and plastic side panels that come down. Might be nice in the fall and spring but I'm skeptical for a really cold winter night. Waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, helpful. Interesting crowd of diners from older couples, young singles, families with young children. Did not see children's menu and I would think the tastes are too sophisticated for many young ones.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were considering dinner and were tired of the same old everyday places so we agreed to revisit Casbah as we had both been there before and enjoyed the food. On this visit, we started with the calamari, which included lemon aioli, crispy parsley, serrano chilies, agrodolce, and was delicious ($11). For the main course, my friend had the Long Island Duck, which consisted of roasted breast, braised leg, gnocchi, spinach, lavender, rhubarb, duck jus ($29). She described this plate as the best duck she has ever had, which is saying a lot because prior to this, the best duck anywhere (in her opinion) was at Willow. I had the Casbah Double-Cut Pork Chop with braised kale, pea & prosciutto risotto, garlic cream, sage jus ($29). Usually, this is one of the best pork chops you will ever eat, but on this evening it was a bit undercooked for my liking. It was still good, but not what I expect from Casbah. As for drinks, my friend had the Springtime Mule ($11), which is Hendrick’s gin, hibiscus syrup, hibiscus water, ginger beer, cucumber, and lime served in a copper mug (interesting). The taste was ok. I had the Lenotti pinot grigio ($13). Its never a cheap dinner, but dining here every once in a while is a special event. We will do so again very soon.

1  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We've been eating here for years, and, in fact, use the Big Burrito Group catering whenever we need that service. The food is always inventive, fresh, and tasty. There are always several vegetarian options, and if you want to make a change (no chicken in the pasta, for example) the kitchen is happy to oblige. The drinks are strong and different, the servers are friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. We'll be back! (In fact, have planned a large celebratory dinner there next month.)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

My friends and I started a Sunday brunch club and we eat at a different restaurant each month. Casbah was wonderful. The atmosphere is wonderful, excellent service, good food and drinks! We had a lovely time and plan to revisit for dinner.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

When you order the specially prepared food it is a real treat. There standard items on the menu are great but if you patronize the restaurant as often as we do you will never be disappointed in the service or trying something you always wanted to try. The owners are very generous in providing dinners for non-profits to have fund raising opportunities. That is an other reason why we patronize this restaurant.