“Always a good choice”
Review of Casbah

Casbah
Reserve with OpenTable
Casbah is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,207 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Cross street: Alder Street
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Casbah has always delivered excellent, inventive food. The patio can be a little noisy when crowded. Great wine selection, also.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had only one dinner in a recent trip to Pittsburgh to go all-out, and we are glad we picked Casbah. Both the rabbit sausage/confit pappardelle and the heirloom tomato salad were excellent starters. Rabbit is something you can't get every day, and the three varieties of tomatoes in the salad were nicely highlighted at their peak of seasonal freshness. My wife's perfectly cooked halibut was accented by the roasted fennel and chanterelles. My gnocchi was some of the best I have ever had and was not overpowered by the chicken confit, beans, chanterelles and cheese curds. I enjoyed the extensive list of wines by the glass, including a reasonably-priced flight of their featured wines. It was nice to mix and match and experiment with pairings a bit. At the price point this would not be an every-week stop for us, but it was a great special occasion meal. The only negative was that we were seated along the main path from the kitchen to the restaurant and this led to a lot of hustle-and-bustle nearby.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I like Big Burrito Group restaurants, since they are mostly gluten-free friendly. We just ate dinner with friends. The two pasta dishes were excellent (gnocci and pasta with lobster mushrooms.) However, two of us had swordfish and it was mediocre - didn't really taste fresh and was overcooked. It tasted like it was cooked yesterday and reheated. It came with a very salty chard and tomato vegetable side. Gave me heartburn, since it was very acid. It was supposed to come with polenta, but for reasons that don't make sense, they coated their polenta with breadcrumbs. Come on. There are few enough gluten free options and breadcrumbs can't add much. I often get polenta at local restaurants. They did give me a choice of sides and I chose the squash blossom risotto, which is really a main course. It was good, but uni-dimensional - just tasted like cheese. I would have been really disappointed if I'd gotten this as a main course. I also ate lunch here several months ago and I thought the prices were very high and my entree then was okay but not great. We will go to other local restaurants we like much better and skip Casbah.

1  Thank aeh223
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place is elegant and serves excellent various dishes!The taste and aroma is unique, they are just perfectionists!There menu features a wide variety to suit different tastes!!They have duck,lamb, steak, fish, pork, chicken and more! I have tried the duck and lamb and both were really excellent!!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had my first experience at the Casbah in Shadyside for a casual lunch with an old friend on a perfect Pittsburgh summer day. Sitting in the terraced area with partial outdoor atmosphere was amazing and gave the feeling of dining at a restaurant in India. The colorful design and unique layout along with comfortable seating was a perfect way to enjoy a sunny day while having partial shade and protection from full outdoors. Seating was spaced to offer privacy, yet close enough to create a casual intimacy. The service and food were over the top and the three course Gusto lunch menu offered variety and quality at a very reasonable price for the overall experience. I am anxious to return for dinner with my wife. BIG BONUS--FREE PARKING RIGHT AT THE RESTAURANT!!!!!