“Delicious fish dishes, great wait staff and View!”

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 2,188 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sweetbriar Street
Description: Thank you for considering Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for your affair. This award-winning restaurant has always taken pride in its level of standards and excellence. These exceptional standards are reflected in the mouth-watering fresh fish and impeccable service. Guests have come to expect this level of quality in every aspect of the main dining room as well as the private dining room. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto's fish is fresh and flown in from a number of locations on the East Coast, West Coast and Hawaiian Islands. For this reason we are the regions Premier Fresh Fish Restaurant offering 20 kinds of fresh fish in an array of original, delicious styles.
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is on the top floor of a building that stands at the top of Mount Washington. Three walls of the restaurant are floor-to-ceiling windows. You can make a reservation for dinner, but realize that window seating is assigned at the restaurant if it is available when you arrive. We had several delicious fish dishes. We were greeted warmly and sincerely by both our waitperson and the restaurant manager. We had a wonderful experience. It is expensive, but the old adage that "you get what you pay for" is very true for this restaurant.

1  Thank cmkcmk
There are newer reviews for Monterey Bay Fish Grotto

Reviewed August 5, 2014

It was my first time going and was invited based on the views...not the food. It took us 3 hours for the full meal experience which is ridiculous. The waitress was very knowledgeable of their menu. However, a few hours before I had checked their menu online to get an idea. I wanted one thing they had listed but it hadn't been on their menu in months according to the waitress. Don't trust the website! The parking is terrible with the valet. I would much rather park myself but we felt obligated to use them. The elevator ride to the restaurant is tight and weird having to share it with so many people. It took us 45 minutes to get our bread. The restaurant wasn't that clean - there were cobwebs in the corners of where we were sitting with floors that hadn't been vacuumed in the corners. The windows weren't that clean. It took us an hour to get the bread. The food was decent but not worth what they were asking. I got 6 shrimp with my pasta. However, the dessert was amazing! It was the saving grace of the night. Also, my white chocolate mocha was fabulous. You MUST try the angel food grilled cheese sandwich!!!! It's a long wait to leave the restaurant with only one elevator.

1  Thank melainacastengera
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great views of the city from the wine room. Was a bit cold this winter (sub zero temps), but would love to do again in warmer weather.

1  Thank FunAbroad
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Haven't been to MBFG in years. Ride up in elevator was shakier than I remember and windows dirty- bird poo obscuring view. Arrived in lobby 4:40pm restaurant completely empty- sent to Lounge for drink and wait until open. Given pager the size of a brick. One other party(5) in restaurant also sent to Lounge. Don't understand why one of Army of servers greeters and managers couldn't scout us out in lounge when ready. View still Breathtaking but carpet old and grey with dust or age on periphery and wallpaper torn. Windows dirty and deteriorating. Server was charming explained menu "everything fresh." Greeted by Mgr. #1 who wished us a good experience. Ordered Ichiban appetizer, Catfish Cajun style side Lobster Mac and Cheese. Ichiban (14.00) 2 toothpick skewers 4 inches long with 4 dice sized cubes of fish each- 2 yellowfin tuna, one salmon (I think) and one I can't remember 4 on each skewer- covered in some sauce. The red fish was gooey as if old/ uncooked or over marinated and fell apart on touch with knife and fork. All sitting on a river of very salty Aioli. Manager 2 appeared and asked us how our "second Mouthful" was around the second mouthful- kind of creepy. Catfish ($27.00) cooked perfectly but underseasoned and sitting in a pool of orange marmalade with dried out citrus bar- garnish on top Why? Mystery. Gave husband most of fish. Looking soo forward to Lobster Mac And Cheese. ($19.00) Found piece of shell in first bite- Lobster stringy chewy- frozen and/ or microwaved? Obviously not fresh and not cleaned well. Orrechiete gummy and flabby, sauce grainy, floury and separated; like the roux wasn't cooked long enough and also suspect microwaved. Did not take second mouthful, ugh. Isn't Lobster supposed to be tender, sweet and buttery? Mgr did take Lobster M & C off bill then came back to tell us he "informed the chef" and then asked if we would like dessert on the house. I was relieved my husband said no. Most expensive 4 mouthfuls of food I have ever eaten. Hubby did better than me but said the lobster in his salad was "a little chewy." Will not go back. If you go.. go for the view, have a drink and eat elsewhere.

2  Thank V Susan B
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was very lucky to have two wonderful girlfriends treat me for birthday dinner at Monterey Bay. We ate in the downstairs lounge, which I prefer over the cavernous upstairs main restaurant.

The service was great, the food was delicious and the views of the city are always superb. The lounge is laid out nicely so that it is not too loud to converse.

By all means, don't forget to have the crab cakes. They truly are the best in the city.

Somehow we found room for dessert!

1  Thank MurryG08