“Mixed thoughts” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monterey Bay Fish Grotto

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sweetbriar Street
Description: Thank you for considering Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for your affair. This award-winning restaurant has always taken pride in its level of standards and excellence. These exceptional standards are reflected in the mouth-watering fresh fish and impeccable service. Guests have come to expect this level of quality in every aspect of the main dining room as well as the private dining room. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto's fish is fresh and flown in from a number of locations on the East Coast, West Coast and Hawaiian Islands. For this reason we are the regions Premier Fresh Fish Restaurant offering 20 kinds of fresh fish in an array of original, delicious styles.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Mixed thoughts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I have been to Monterey Bay before but not the past few years and decided to try again.Unfortunately, we are did not have a great experience, but I think it was due to our waiter. We were sandwiched in a two seater with two other couples surrounding us, making it hard for any sense of privacy. The two tables around us had a wonderful, pleasant and attentive waitress. For some reason, we had an absent, apathetic, waiter who failed to listen to our requests. We asked for lobster salad with dressing on the side and he brought salad with dressing mixed throughout. When he returned with a different salad, it was much smaller and less attractive with the lobster dumped in the salad. I asked for no lemon in my chicken and was served chicken with lemon inside the skin. I had to send it back and ended up with no meal. The taste of my husband's food, however, was good and the dessert was delicious. The menu certainly had many seafood choices. I am sure if we had a different server our experience would have been different. There were two flies and a fruit fly that pestered us repeatedly throughout the meal which made me uneasy. I'm not sure when we will return. It's a lot of money for less than impeccable service.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Montclair, New Jersey
“Food as good as the view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We took the view up the Duquesne Incline to check out the view. Wow. Since it was lunchtime, we decided to eat and we had heard good things about the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto. What a spot to have lunch. It is at the top of a building, so the views are breathtaking. The food was very good and the wine list was comprehensive (and All American). The place was pretty empty, presumably because it was lunchtime on a Wednesday in August, so we got a wonderful table. I assume that it is pretty pricey at dinner, but the prices at lunchtime were pretty reasonable, especially when you consider the food quality combined with the view.

• Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary (July 2012) up there and we took our 4 adult kids with us. It was a great atmosphere and the food was awesome. It was the first time we had lobster mac and cheese and I havent had any better since then. The veiw of Pittsburgh was great from all angles and we really enjoyed everything about it even the bathrooms! The wait staff was knowledgeable of the menus and our needs were met very expeditiously. No complaints whatsoever. I'm happy I picked that place to celebrate such a wonderful occasion.

• Visited September 2012
Morgantown, West Virginia
“I SHALL RETURN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have seen many many reviews about MBFG, most complimentary, some not so complimentary. My experience was 10 out of 10. First the view, we had reservations for 8:00pm July 26 (about 50 minutes before sunset) the view of Pittsburgh was absolutely fantastic. Our waitstaff was fantastic. The food was very good (Maco shark and Maryland crab cakes), the wine and drinks were good. The desserts were very good. The ambiance was fantastic, even romantic. I highly recommend the MBFG on top of Mt Washington (1411 Grandview St) Pittsburgh PA. We had 2 glasses of wine, a couple mixed drinks, 2 entrees and sides, 2 desserts and tip ALL for under $150.00. Considering this is a business casual white tablecloth restaurant, pretty good value. Take your significant other and enjoy the night!

Visited July 2013
“Good appetizer great entree and excellent dessert and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Unique cockrails and extensive hard liquor list. We shared a Caesar salad (meh) and tasty lump crab bisque poured table side. Our crab stuffed scallops - excellent. The "grilled cheese" dessert was the perfect finish. Service excellent. Atmosphere - so so. Worn interior. Seated window side at sunset - can not beat the view.

• Visited July 2013