“Sketchy look outside hides a gem”

Spice Island Tea House
Ranked #6 of 39 Coffee & Tea in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Central Oakland
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Walking to this place, the word "sketch" comes to mind - my precollege daughter telling me "no way, let's go" but I pushed open the door and found this restaurant to be a charming place - inside it is simple, clean and maybe a but artsy. Food was generous and tasty - pendang beef, a meat and potatoes stew with sweet
coconut milk and pad thai didn't disappoint. I will be back to try more of this menu!

There are newer reviews for Spice Island Tea House

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Many people think that the pad thai here is fabulous. I don't, but the food in general is very good, and I'd recommend the Burmese options, which resemble Indian food. The Singapore Kwei Thiao (spelling?) is also very good, and their numerous vegetarian and vegan choices are excellent. As others have said, it's not much to look at from the outside, but the service is great, always very competent, friendly, and, if you need it, fast.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a nice little restaurant which doesn't look like much from the outside, but is comfy on the inside, has quick service, and good thai food. I had the Java Fried Rice which was great - just what I was looking for. It was a fast, cheap, lunch with great Thai flavors for the $8 price tag. I would definitely return here.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I have been to every Thai restaurant in Pittsburgh that we know of, and this one is hands down the best. We've stopping trying other ones because we always say the same: "Good, but not as good as Spice Island". We've been here many times and will keep going back. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

One of my favorite places in my old neighborhood. I always get the Java Fried Rice (without red chili pepper). And the Thai Iced Coffee is a wonderful treat. So tasty!