“strong menu, great bar too”
Review of Elbow Room - CLOSED

Elbow Room
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shadyside
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Sort of bummed that they moved from the old location to the new one (new feels too corporate) but menu is solid and service is always good. Nice bar next to restaurant.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Since this restaurant doesn't take reservations under parties of five, our party of four went in around 8:15 on a Saturday night . The hostess said it would be about a half hour wait. We waited at the bar area which was noisy and crowded with college kids. The hostesses were standing at the desk talking and laughing and having a glorious time. I went to the desk around nine to ask about our table and she said it would be another five minutes. Until we were seated and our order was taken, I was beyond the point of hunger and cancelled my order and went back to the inn that we were staying at. This was about nine thirty . I can't comment on the food, because I didn't eat there, but I was not impressed with the menu. If the hostess would have told us upfront that the wait would have been that long , we would have gone somewhere else.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

It's just a great neighborhood restaurant but they draw more than the neighborhood. Consistent. Busy but not distracting. Good prompt service.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

A party of 6 without reservations, they accommodated us quite well. The food and drinks were a little spendy, but everything we had was well worth it. Our waiter was very patient, especially when we all hauled out our cameras and appointed him as official photographer!

We had a little trouble locating the restaurant since the telephone book had them listed at their old location, a place they had moved from over a year and a half ago. Parking is limited.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very forced. You could tell that our waiter was only pretending he knew anything about wine. Not that I'm a wine connoisseur, far from it, but if I ask a waiter about a wine at a wine bar and he gives me an answer that makes it clear that he doesn't know what he's talking about.. I'd rather him go ask than give me a clearly canned answer or the wrong answer. It just seemed really forced and like they were trying way too hard.

I was also annoyed on another visit when they had half off drinks for happy hour, but they used bottom shelf liquor in place of what was listed as being in the drink (I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't seen her do it and called her out on it. She said that's what they put int he "half off" drinks). So if you're using less expensive alcohol, the drink really isn't actually half off. Super lame.

I'm not a hard person to impress at all, but in this case, I definitely wasn't impressed.