“Good food, classic atmosphere, but nothing spectacular...”
Review of DeLuca's Diner

DeLuca's Diner
Ranked #19 of 2,222 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Strip District
Description: DeLuca's in the Strip District of Pittsburgh is the original DeLuca's Diner. Our diner is an old fashioned breakfast and lunch spot that has been in business since 1950, with the recent owners now operating DeLuca's Diner for over 30 years maintaining the nostalgic feel and look of the original diner. DeLuca's is located on Penn Avenue, just look for the rooster on top of our building!
Reviewed January 17, 2013

On a mini-reunion, some seminary classmates and I found our way to De Luca's for a late breakfast, hearing from some locals that it was one of the best places in town. Having eaten together at a few of the finest breakfast diners in the country, I will certainly agree that this place had some of the typical charm that can only be found at this sort of dive restaurant. Nothing was fancy or flashy. But the service was friendly and competent, the food was good, and the din and energy in the place was rather infectious.

Truth be told, my breakfast (eggs, potatoes, bacon, toast) was nothing special. And the menu was a little pricier than I think is appropriate for this sort of down-home cooking. But we all left De Luca's satisfied after a quality breakfast, having experienced an authentic slice of Americana. I won't frantically try to get back there the next time I'm in Pittsburgh, but I certainly wouldn't mind if I found myself sitting in one of those classic booths at some point down the road.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I saw this restaurant featured on tv and I love breakfast food so I just had to try it. I definitely was not disappointed. It was a Sunday morning and they were very busy so we had to wait for a table which got a little cramped with people.The guy behind us in line told us it was worth the wait so we stayed. I ordered French toast with warm apples on it and it came with eggs and bacon. There are so many options for toppings. My son ordered pancakes with corn beef hash and eggs. My boyfriend ordered a ham and cheese omelet which came with potatoes and toast. Everything was delicious. Not one complaint and the food came out so quick. We also had the fresh squeezed orange juice which was great. Our bill was only like $30 which isn't bad for the amount of food we got. None of us could finish our meals. I can't wait to go back !

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family, in whole or in part, has visited DeLuca's several times over the past three years and none of us has felt disappointed in the meals or in the experience. Each time we enter this diner named DeLuca's, self-proclaimed as "The Best Breakfast in Town," we feel at home in the loud, chaotic room filled with people who agree with our assessment of the diner.

DeLuca's will not give you cheap deals or eye-popping aesthetics, its business is breakfast and lunch, and they do them with flair. The wait staff remains mainly no-nonsense, and with a line at the door, that has to happen. However, they attend to each customer and we have never had an order delivered that has fallen short.

We visited for the first time about a year after the "Man vs. Food" episode aired on the Travel Channel, and felt pleasantly surprised at the portions versus the cost in a city establishment. Recently, we met a gentleman in the diner who told us we were making the right choice in eating at DeLuca's, as he refused to go anywhere else after trying other restaurants nearby. He drives more than 30 minutes to enjoy his breakfast at this blue and white-striped awning-clad restaurant in the Strip District. We drove 90 minutes for our breakfast. Worth every mile.

My husband and I prefer the Steel City Breakfast of Champs, consisting of 2 pancakes, toast, 3 eggs cooked to order, 2 strips of bacon and 2 sausage links. The pancakes engulf their own plate and the remainder of the breakfast covers the second plate. When four people sit at a booth, strategic placement of the tableware is a must, or the plates won't fit.

Arriving at DeLuca's on a weekday before 9:00 a.m. may allow you to get a table without much of a wait. Arriving after that hour will give you a line, and you hope you stand at the head of it. Weekends will greet you with a line at any time of the morning or afternoon.

While we mainly enjoy breakfast here, I have had lunch once, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would do it again if I could pry my family away from breakfast!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Been here 4-5 times. Strip district classic. Along with Pamela's the best breakfast in town. Menu is gigantic and the omelets are the best I've eaten. come hungry because the portions are hard to finish

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We were in Pittsburgh for the weekend and went to Pamela's on Saturday and De Lucas on Sunday. This place was awful. The line waiting to get in would make you think you should expect great food and service... Not! Sausage patties were burned and dry. Bacon Not cooked completely. Hash browns tasteless. But worst of all was the omelette "special". The "jumbo lump crab omelette" for $12 turned out to be imitation crab stick. When I told our waitress her reply was that she didn't know what it was made of. When I asked for the manager, she actually argued with me saying their supplier said it real crab so it is. I grew up at the beach. I know the difference. I told her I disagreed and I just wanted the bill. She replied that she would take it off my bill because I obviously didn't want to pay for it. I couldn't believe she actually argued with me because I didn't like their food. She did take it off the bill but it still cost me $30 for 3 of us. So sorry this was our last meal in Pittsburgh. If you want fast, friendly service for fairly priced GOOD food, go around the corner to the pink door. This place was the worst meal of our whole trip!