“Just Okay...”

Nakama Japanese Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #298 of 2,173 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Transit: 51A, 51B, 51C, 51D, 51G & 54C
Toronto, Canada
“Just Okay...”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

A meeting of friends the day before our Dave Matthews Band concert. We had a 2130h reservation.

Service was just middling. The teppanyaki chef, Sergio, was very good and entertaining. Waitress was okay, but not exceptional. Forgot items so they had to be canceled.

Music was too loud at the bar side of the restaurant. Quieter on the teppanyaki side, but for some reason, they called it a hibachi...

Beautifully decorated, *(light fixtures were reminiscent of samurai helmets) the bathrooms could have used more attention. Good for gatherings, to which we were witness to 2-3 birthday parties.

All in all, the sashimi was pricey and a la carte. Rice and miso soup had to be ordered separately. Rice okay and fried rice was cooked in front. Not oily, so that was flavourful and big portions, so the homeless guy down the block received some of my leftovers. Spicy chicken was not overly breaded, spicy and the meat tender. Wine selection typically overpriced but that's to be expected. Refills on water and pop were done without having to be repeated.

I'd try it again, but sometimes, flash seems to dazzle more than substance in this case.

Golden, Colorado
“Yummy”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

After an afternoon Pirates game, 3 of us sat up at the sushi bar and ordered fairly common sushi and sashimi. It was fresh and tasty. We also ordered a bowl of chicken fried rice that my husband claimed was the best he had ever had ( I think they cooked it with a LOT of butter). We watched the sushi chefs prepare way more interesting looking dishes while we waited for our food and enjoyed the atmosphere. Our waitress, Lauren, was a giant bag. That is my only complaint. Not sure if we were just really luck to get the 3 seats as we walked in or what?? There was a constant line up in the waiting area so maybe we were lucky.

• Visited June 2014
Austin, Texas
“Dont try to have a large party here.”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We were holding a bachlorette party there and they didnt really want to work with us. I know it was a busy Saturday night but come on people lets bend a little bit. The south side does not have a lot of parking so be prepared to valet or spend some extra time looking for a place to park. Note they will not seat you until your whole party is there which I understand but when I tell them we are all here just a few people are looking for parking don't tell me you are going to give my large table away cause we are 10 minutes late. As for the food, it was really just average. The prices are ok but kind of high for the quality of food you are getting. The chef was entertaining though and the waitstaff did a great job of taking care of us after we were seating. Also they are willing to split up the check for large groups which is always nice. One other comment I would like to make is it was really hot in there! I know they have quite a few
large grills going but lets put on the air conditioner people.
Overall I would say price/seating poor but average for food /entertainment/wait staff.

• Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“Nothing special”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Food is average. Service is good. Nothing special. I believe you can find better sushi for better prices in Pittsburgh.

• Visited May 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best hibachi and sushi in Pittsburgh!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This place is always crowded at night and even in the afternoons on weekend and you can tell why: it's the best sushi and hibachi in the Burgh! You can wait at the bar until your table is ready, and have a delicious mixed drink, which they have many to chose from. If you go on the weekend, and get Suzan, she is the best there, and will give you a great recommendation! Once you are seated and chose it is a little pricey, but well worth it for all you are getting. You get soup, salad and choice of noodles or rice which are huge portions! Every time i've been there all of the hibachi chef's have been super entertaining and friendly. The sushi bar has a great selection, and is always fresh and tasty! If you are looking for a great hibachi experience in the always exciting South Side of Pittsburgh, definitely go to Nakama!!!

Visited October 2013