“Wish there was one near me...”

Fat Head's South Side Saloon
Ranked #38 of 2,225 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed October 5, 2012

First time in Pittsburgh to watch the reds play the pirates we happened to walk past this place on our way to try out primantis. The burgers we saw on our way by looked huge but we had to try out the local primantis sandwiches we had seen on tv. I wish we had just come to fatheads twice. Primantis seemed horribly overrated, especially in contrast to the flavorful food and generous portion sizes here. I ordered the quadruple bypass burger and it comes with bacon, sharp cheddar, beef brisket, spicy barbecue sauce( it had an awesome kick to it) , and a fried egg. This burger did not disappoint. It was messy and impossible to finish in one sitting. Looking at the great variety on the menu I wish we had one near us to try out some more items on it. Would highly recommend to adults. Carson street at night on the weekends was crazy and entertaining, but definitely not kid friendly.

1  Thank Buckeye_Jeff

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Fat Head's is known for gigantic sandwiches and they do not disappoint when it comes to their specialty.

There's a bar section and a restaurant section. The menu is big and has a wide variety of selection. Love the pizza eggrolls in appetizers! The BBQ sauce is a bit too spicy for me, which made me dislike my entire meal, but everything else was very good. I will definitely return, but stay away from the BBQ sauce. They have microbrews and other "unique" beverages, as well as the normal bar scene drinks. It gets very crowded on Fri and Sat nights, so get there early if you want a table - if not, expect to wait at least an hour.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Arrived about 6:00 on a Sat. night and already a 45 min wait. Wait time grew to almost an hour and half by the time we were seated. Very large beer selection and we had fun trying different ones. Had teenagers in tow and it was fine for them although there isn't a kid's menu. Very large meals so plan on walking the interesting neighborhood afterwards. We parked on the street (free meters after 6 on weekend) a few blocks away.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The good -

HUGE Beer Selection
Great Service
Large Menu
Awesome Wings

The Bad -

The sandwiches use to be awesome, huge and full of meat and other ingredients. In more modern times the buns seem to have expanded while what matters (meat, cheese, chicken, etc) has shrunk.

Don't get me wrong it's probably worth the visit (get the wings) but honestly management needs to increase the what matters not just make bigger buns.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went to Fatheads on a recommendation from the Hotel desk. Everyone said "you have to go to Fatheads".

Well, I went and I was really disappointed. First they do have a large selection of beers and micro-brews, but the bar was really long with only one bar tender working so even getting a drink was difficult.

I ordered the Chicken Parm soup as an appetizer and it did indeed taste like Chicken Parm, but there was nothing special about the flavor. Plus, the cheese was hot and the soup was cold so that didn't help.

For dinner I had their supposedly award winning "Southside Slopes" sandwich. The bread was stale, and the pierogie, kilbasa and cheese just seemed like 3 ingredients thrown together by someone wanting to make a signature sandwich without much thought about how it would taste.

The portions are huge and the prices were reasonable.

I really had high hopes for this place and whoever writes the menu descriptions is doing a fantastic job. Everything on the menu sounds good, however I was really disappointed overall.

Maybe I caught a bad night or it has recently gone down hill.

2  Thank isclloyd