“Wonderful Experience”

Cuisines: Southwestern, French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Two hundred feet from Pittsburgh's Duquense Incline.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Four of us visited Iasabela's on Grandview this past weekend. Our experience was wonderful in every way. The gourmet menu was a bit unusual with special choice dishes. Everything we selected was delicious and well presented.Three of us had the Pix Fixe meals at $70 each with seven courses. The portions were just right and our choices were all different...so delicious in every way. We were so surprised to have the owner photograph us and then present us with his photographs before we left. We asked the excellent staff to order a cab for us and instead the owner drove us to our hotel (also dropped a young daughter at her dormitory at U of Pitt). He would take no money and gave us delightful conversation along the way. We will definitely return to this restaurant the next time we are Pittsburgh... The view of ther city during dinner was absolutely spectacular...not to be missed.

2  Thank bonnehall18

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a lovely place to dine. The tasting menu was perfect. The staff is excellent, pacing is exactly right, and the food excellent in every course. There is a beutiful view of the city below across the river from this height. Valet parking worked very well. The meal was memorable!

2  Thank 1superlady
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Pittsburgh for the first time, and absolutely loved it. From the food, to nightlife, to the people and view, everything was amazing, including Isabela on Grandview. We chose to eat on a weekend, where the option is a 7 course pre fixe menu for $70/person and we also chose the wine pairings which were $40/person. The owner greeted us and took our picture, framed it and gave it to us as a gift. After a romantic dinner (may sound like a lot of food, but it's extremelly portioned) the owner drove us around Pittsburgh and dropped us off at this amazing beer garden. He didn't require any money from us, and was so hospitable. I had left my photo in his car, and the next morning he personally delivered it to our hotel! Unbelieveable customer servce. Yes, you are paying no less than $250 if you go all out for dinner here, but it's well worth the atmosphere, welcoming feeling, and overall experience. May not be the most incredible food you've ever tasted, but it is definitely not untasteful by any means.

2  Thank T-dizz
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We recently enjoyed a romantic dinner at Isabela on Grandview, our first time, here. It was great! The view is spectacular, the food is creative and delicious. We enjoyed the tasting menu, and being from DC, thought that it was very fairly priced. Hands down the BEST sweetbreads I've ever had the pleasure of eating. The owner, George Merrick, takes great pride in providing top notch service. It was a wonderful evening, and we will return on our next visit to Pittsburgh!

3  Thank SAVI_Austin
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My fiancee and I went to Isabela to celebrate her birthday and had a wonderful time! When we were led into the upstairs dining room, we could immediately see why it has been rated the most romantic restaurant in Pittsburgh for the past 3 years. The upstairs dining room is tiny, with no more than 15 tables, all of which provide an incredible view of the city.

We both opted for the $70 7-course pre fixe dinner, with a few glasses of the house wine. Our total bill came to about $190 before tip. Before going to the restaurant, I read other reviews that said that the food was overpriced and portions were too small, but I disagree. The food is accurately priced for the quality, service and atmosphere. It's not Chili's; it's one of the nicest restaurants in Pittsburgh. The kitchen is located right off of the upstairs dining room, and you can actually see the husband and wife team working in there. However, it does not feel like you're on top of them, nor is it loud or annoying. Each dish is smaller than a normal serving, but you get more servings. We were both very full by the time the dessert came out. Our service was also excellent and the waitress was very helpful.

As a nice touch, the owner, George Merrick, personally visited each table and thanked everyone for coming. He then took a picture of each couple and gave it to us on our way out. I just thought that was a great way of capping off the evening.

I will definitely return to Isabela for a romantic evening, and I would recommend it to any couples looking to celebrate a special occasion. I would not recommend it to families with children or people who aren't prepared to spend some time there (I think we were there for about 2 hours).