“Quick dinner before a concert”
Review of El burro

El burro
Ranked #598 of 2,210 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I wanted a quick dinner before a concert at Stage AE so we stopped at El Burro. We parked right out front on the street. A few doors down is a branch of the Carnegie Library system which you can also check out during their operating hours while in the neighborhood.

I ordered the 2 shrimp tacos "street" (on double corn tortillas) - they were filled with a nice portion of shrimp but they were VERY spicy, delicious but spicy hot. My husband ordered a carnitas burrito - it was huge! Nicely filled with shredded pork and rice and not sure what else, but it was delicious. We also had their chips and salsa. Their salsa was very fresh tasting and a little smoky with chipotle seasoning I believe. The homemade chips came in a plastic bag. Since we ate there, I wish those would have been served in a basket. We brought along a couple of single serve wines but they do have an assortment of drinks you can buy.

The place is very tiny - maybe 10 or so people could fit along the counters on stools to eat, but it has a nice casual vibe. A great place to stop before a concert or sporting event to grab a bite to eat. Our dinner was about $20 for the two of us - you could easily spend that per person once you got to PNC Park or Heinz Field. Plus it is BYOB so bring your own wine or beer selection to enjoy! We will return when we are in the area again.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We had heard good things but we're a bit disappointed. The ingredients were good but the final product was bland. I ordered a burrito as is from the menu thinking that was the smartest way to experience the food for the first time and was really disappointed, very dry and tasteless. Ordered a taco with potato and got French fries, really? Not sure if we'll visit again.

1  Thank Dale B
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Nice quaint restaurant on federal street on the north side. The ingredients are always fresh and the staff never disappoints. I really love this place!

1  Thank Aaron S