“Nice but uncomfortable seating”
Review of Byham Theater

Byham Theater
Ranked #65 of 180 things to do in Pittsburgh
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We saw Shrek the musical at the Byham last night. We were in the balcony area and could see the stage very well. The "old school" decor was nice and I felt like we stepped back in time. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The bathrooms are in the basement which makes for a long walk if you are on the balcony (several flights of stairs to climb). The seats themselves were comfortable, but there was absolutely no leg room for anyone who is not a child.

2  Thank jenkawuv
There are newer reviews for Byham Theater

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We watched different children's performances here over the winter months. The show was so close that you felt like a participent.

1  Thank dkweso
Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you like small, intimate theaters where you are a few feet away from a live performance, you'll love this restored early 1900's theater. We've seen jazz concerts, and Savion Glover, the tap dance master.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

If your destination to the Byham Theater involves taking in a play--by all means go and enjoy yourself--but know that parking is expensive, and to find a reasonable place for dinner can be difficult--have dinner before you go, unless you want to walk downtown and try one of the upscale restaurants. There are a lot of transients and poor people that hang out downtown. Generally they will not bother you--but use your street smarts when downtown or in the city after dark. Stay with groups of people along the way--but Pittsburgh is a very safe city.

2  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed December 12, 2012

As I do every year, I plan our Christmas getaway, and keep the details from Barbara (my wife). This is something she looks forward to, without knowing where it leads her.

This Pittsburgh holiday treat was much more than I expected, but all of my details were planned months ahead. The Byham Theatre was part of a wonderful last day, that ended on Saturday night.

The performance was on 12/08/2012, at 4 p.m., and it was the second day of the musical. Our seats were in the mezzanine, front row and in the center. It couldn't get any better. Most of the singing was projected to this area, and the large speakers made it more believable. The cast was sensational, and quite clear with their words.

The stage was well crafted. I was driving my wife crazy by picking out various items on the stage, that were mostly before our time. When was the last time you had seen a One Horse open Sleigh? Well, it is there on the stage. Maybe you can pick out the late 1800's young childs, hand pulled wicker sled?

The costumes were well designed, but it was the Actors and Actresses that pulled it all together.
They all played multiple parts, as most shows do, but how they put themselves into it, also pulled me in.
My heart felt the emotions of joy, merry, and tragedy.....my eyes were drawn to the ever changing characters.......my feet were alive and dancing with the music. The stage never really changed much, but it was your imagination that kept you abreast of things as it went on.

Bravo to the whole cast, and everyone who had a part in this musical.

Kids loved it as much as the adults. But, it was the children who squeaked the loudest (mostly right behind me).

It appears that most of the workers are volunteers, but work your way past that to look at the history, the craft, and the design of the interior of this theatre. I will stop there. It is best to discover all of this for yourselves.

Have yourselves a Wonderful Holiday.
jerryandbarb8

Our reviews are under that name. I will post the whole weekend later, after the New Year. Look for it.

2  Thank JerryandBarb8