“So-So Sushi”

Add it.
Misaki
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed December 1, 2013

After hearing a lot of good reviews from family members we decided to try out Misaki on our recent trip to Pittsburgh, especially for the sushi. Sadly we must be really spoilt with our local family run Japanese sushi bars that Misaku fell under par when it comes to the Sushi at the buffet although there is a lot of to pick from and try - there's certainly worse sushi out there, but it's nothing to write home about.

Staff were all friendly, there's certainly a huge selection of items to choose from, and it was a good experience especially when you consider the price. Also appears to be very popular as it was very busy when we visited on a Saturday lunch.

Overall, if your use to fresh, made to order sushi this might disappoint.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to give this buffet a try on Friday, October 11, 2013. This was the worst buffet we have ever eaten at in the last 10 years. To start, the parking lot was empty at 5:30 on a Friday night-that should have been our first clue that the experience would be a disaster. The buffet items were warm at best with some being room temperature and some cold. The Asian items presented had been on the buffet well past their prime and not good tasting. The fried foods were soggy from sitting on the buffet too long. The sign on the building as well as the website advertise all you can eat lobster on Friday and Saturday nights but no lobster was on the buffet. When my boyfriend asked where to find the lobster our waitress informed us that there was no lobster that day and that lobster was on Monday only? After our first trip to the buffet, my boyfriend noticed a stink bug hanging above his head. We asked to see the manager. When he arrived at our table, he asked "what do you want me to do about it?" We had hoped to be moved to a different table. After all, the place was almost empty. Insulted by the manager's attitude, I asked for the check. When I received it, they had charged us the $21.95 for the lobster buffet with no lobster available. We asked to see the manager again. The manager returned and took $9.00 off of the total. Are you kidding me?? I would recommend eating at BD's Mongolian Grill in South Side Works if you want an all you can eat buffet. The items are fresh and cooked to order. The service, the food and experience will be much more pleasant. I would not recommend Misaki to a stranger on the street. In fact as we were leaving, patrons in the parking lot were asked about the buffet. Needless to say, we gave them an honest response and they got back in their cars and left.

2  Thank Trixii32
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch. Huge variety of sushi rolls and fried foods. Drink menu is also extensive - the sangria comes in a large bowl with a flaming volcano in the middle. Very reasonable price for the buffet.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Misaki is about 45 minutes from us, but worth the drive every time. The variety of sashimi, nigiri, and maki on the buffet is always fresh and prepared well. I also like that they change it up, you don't always have the same boring rolls. They also have a hibachi grill, amazing dessert selections, cold and hot seafood selections. It still has a "buffet" atmosphere, but you can tell the staff tries to maintain a nicer ambiance. During cooler seasons they have a beautiful fireplace going in one of the dining rooms. Huge booths are available that are "U" shaped and comfortably seat a family of 4. We enjoy sushi and seafood buffets and have tried different ones within a 30+ mile radius of where we live. This is now our "go to" spot when wanting a nice meal.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've been looking forward to trying this buffet out, given the generally positive reviews and advertising from this establishment. We are there on a week night after 7 pm, and they still had a healthy business. I am a seafood buff and a buffet buff. So let me do something comparison. Two best comparisons in the Pittsburgh area is Hokkaido (Squirrel Hill) and Dynasty (Cranberry). Unfortunately, Misaki places behind both of these counterparts.

Sushi (decent selection, but stale/sat around for too long. The red clam, for example, shriveled.)

Fresh seafood (snow crab, oysters, clams, etc.) - Well stocked. Tasted fine. Oysters were not replenished for over an hour. It had a full tray of lobster claws - first I've seen in Pittsburgh - except I realized why there was a full tray at 7 pm. They had all gone "bad" ... the meat inside in shriveled into nothing, turned black/grey, ... not edible. I opened 6 and all 6 were like that. I am amazed that owner would even put it out. It hurts far more than it helps the image of the place.

Cooked Chinese Food - So so, nothing spectacular. Dynasty is perhaps #1, Hokkaido #2, and this place is a distant third, not better than the average <$10 buffets.

Hibachi - Okay. Small selection. Again, Dynasty #1, Hokkaido #2, and this is an average, distant 3, no better than the <$10 buffets.

Service - service staff is friendly, but not very fast - either that, or they have short-staffed. For most of the meal, we were eating with empty plates under our elbows (small tables).

In summary, most disappointed $18/$19 per person buffet experience.

1  Thank Family_of_4PGH