HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$229
$195
$159
$143
$134
  • Pool
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$204
$183
  • Pool
Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$107
Hampton.com
$112
$108
Doubletree.com
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$163
$142
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscheesecake factoryomelet stationcarson streetbike pathhofbrau houseomelet barvalet parkinghot metal bridgemade to order omeletsmonongahela riversouthside worksfull kitchenrestaurants and shoppingsmall kitchenkitchen areabeautiful view of the riverwithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 9, 2014

New construction is not necessarily the best. Our April stay at Hyatt House was good and bad. Starting with the good:

- Excellent and friendly service from the entire staff (valets, front desk staff, kitchen/dining staff) - everyone made an effort to make us feel at home
- Good bed in bedroom, new fixtures in bathroom, large size fridge and other kitchen amenities
- large shower stall and decent water pressure
- free Wall Street Journal
- extensive breakfast with made-to-order omelets
- good WiFi
- great neighborhood near shopping, restaurants, bars, Peet's Coffee and (on Carson St.) some real old-fashioned Pittsburgh institutions (e.g. coffeeshop called "The Beehive")

Points that need improvement:

- main elevator near desk was out of order for approx. half of our 4-night stay - not acceptable esp. for a new building
- toilet handle (room 422) stuck and often left toilet running unless we made a special point to bring it back to its original position - easy to fix
- noise from trains was noticeable and sometimes made it hard to sleep. Our room faced South Water Street, not Hofbrauhaus (where one guest mentioned a noise issue in a review here) and not facing an inner courtyard used for parties (where another guest mentioned a noise issue in a review here.) Sound isolation is apparently an issue in many rooms.
- sofabed in living room was very uncomfortable - both kids had trouble sleeping there
- parking rather expensive at $14/day, valet-only. Valets were so efficient that this was not an inconvenience, just a somewhat high cost.

The parking valets were nice enough to inform me that on weekends the garage across the street is much cheaper than valet parking at the hotel. On weekdays, it's $15 so you might as well use the valet.

The Hyatt House was not cheap (close to $250 a night) but we used points for most of our stay. If I stayed there again, I would definitely not ask my family to use the sofabed. More likely, despite the friendly staff, I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Steve D
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

BostonFrequentTrav1,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your honest feedback on opportunities for improvement, and thank you for also sharing your positive comments on the excellent service you experienced during your stay. I have addressed your maintenance concerns with our team and will assess the other issues you mentioned in our next leadership meeting. We deeply regret any inconveniences imposed on your trip. We hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We usually stay at a hotel within a block of the University of Pittsburgh but with graduation and a Penguins playoff game rooms were hard to come by. We found a room at the Hyatt House, was under a 5 minute drive to the University. It is on the river and we had a river view. In the summer will be a nice place to sit outside. The hotel is located in Southside which is an area that has many restaurants, bars and shops so it was nice to walk around and see the sites and take in some local restaurants. The hotel was very accommodating with suggestions for dining.
The Hyatt House is designed for longer term stays so the room offered more than we needed - a small kitchen, small living room and bedroom area. Bathroom was spacious with a large shower. Room was vey clean. Room rate was higher than anticipated, probably due to our short stay. Breakfast is included and went beyond the traditional continental - with scrambled eggs, omelets made to order, breakfast meat and potatoes. Breakfast staffer Linda was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Plama,
Thank you for writing a review from your visit to Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We appreciate the opportunity to serve your hotel needs, and we're glad our location, service and accommodations met your satisfaction. Your feedback is important to us and we hope you'll return for another visit. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is newer and looks very modern. The rooms had a nice sized bathroom, a bedroom and living room/ kitchen area. It was very clean and modern looking. Deff would stay here again! The only down side to this hotel is that it is a few miles away from downtown pittsburgh.

Stayed: June 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

i_love_totravel_412,
Thank your for writing a review from your experience at Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We're pleased to know our clean and spacious accommodations met your expectations. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you for writing.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I came to Pittsburgh for a seminar and decided to stay here. They really built up the Southside since I went yo school here and the location is perfect. The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The first room we stayed in was adjacent to the Hofbrauhaus. It was rather loud during the night and I heard the workers there using the dumpster and talking until 3 in the morning in the alley. It also looked like the maid didn't clean our shower before we arrived as there was used soap and razor left in shower. Our fridge was also not working. The next morning I did bring this to the attention of the front desk and they were very nice and offered me a room on the other side of the hotel. The other room was on the 5th floor with a spectacular view of the river and downtown. It was very clean and peaceful. So I do recommend the hotel, but if you are looking for a quiet room then don't stay right next to the hofbrauhaus. The staff was very accommodating and we did use the shuttle service once which was a plus and a lot better than paying for a cab. The breakfast was good, nothing spectacular but good for complimentary. I really enjoyed my stay and just hope the maid does a better job in the future. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Jlr338,
We appreciate you selecting Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side while attending a seminar. I'm pleased to know our location was perfectly suited for your travels and you felt well taken care of by our staff during your stay. I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered with noise and cleanliness of your room. It's great to hear our staff was able to assist in relocating you to another room that met your satisfaction. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with our housekeeping staff in order to heighten our awareness of such issues. We value your business and hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you once again for your review and recommendations of our hotel.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a weekend getaway. The first night just my husband and I. The second night, our kids joined us. I will start with the good:
-Nice Lobby and outdoor patio. It's a beautiful view of the river.
-The Valet guys were very nice.
-Breakfast was good. Lots of seating and space to maneuver. The omelet station was a nice touch.
-Spacious rooms with a nice kitchenette. It was well stocked. We enjoyed having the table.
-Staff were really great, especially the breakfast attendants. They were out of Awake tea both days. I asked if they had any caffeinated tea and both days the staff did their best to find some. There were glass bins with English and Irish breakfast teas on the shelves. Wasn't sure why they didn't have any in the kitchen? Linda was especially nice and helpful.
-Comfortable beds.
-Quiet AC/heat
-Big workout room with lots of machines.
-Lots of outlets in the room. Especially helpful, outlets in the base of the lamps.
-TV inputs so you can connect your computer. The TV's are large flat screens.
-Fast WiFi
-The location is great. It's a beautiful area with a nice park and bike trail right behind the hotel. You can walk to shops and restaurants.
Now for the not so good.... Do you know when you stop at a red light and someone with their radio very loud pulls up next to you? Your head feels like it's going to explode? That was our room for 3 1/2 hours on our first night. They have a tent in the courtyard and there was some kind of party with what looked like teenagers. The music was so loud that we couldn't watch TV without turning it up loud enough to give you a headache. I talked to the 'Hyatt Host' who said all she could do was gaurentee that at 11:01 she would shut them down. I suggested that she ask them to turn it down and she agreed (I spoke to her the next day and she said there was some reason he couldn't turn it down). She apologized and did say she was going to speak to the sales people about the noise issue. I told her the window was actually vibrating from it. I used Gold Passport points for my stay but the rate was over $250 a night. What a waste (of my points too). Our room was right above the tent so I'm sure it was worse in our room than ones that were farther away. Here is a video of it. You can hear the windows shaking. This doesn't quite do it justice but gives you a sense of how annoying it was: http://youtu.be/y62HeExCHgk
So part of the reason I'm writing this is in the hopes of management seeing it. If you are going to have a party that loud, don't use the tent. Or install some super fantastic sound proof windows. It ruins the night for paying guests.
There were a few other issues that I probably would have overlooked if I wasn't already annoyed.
-No DVD player our room
-No regular tea out at breakfast (I don't drink coffee, really look forward to the Tzao Awake tea).
-Small pool/no hot tub ( not freezing tho).
-No curtains over the windows. It lets tons of light in the room at night from the brightly lit courtyard. And the sun in the morning. Woke me up at 6:30 both days.
-It's nice to have the option of the sleep couch but it's uncomfortable. It was fine for my 11 year old. But my 14 year old slept on the floor. Next time I will ask for a 2 bedroom.
-There was a good bit if dust on the lamps, top of the refrigerator and higher shelves. My husband is 6'2", he noticed it.
-Housekeeping did not leave any extra rolls of toilet paper. Had to track them down in the hallway.
-Water pressure was low. Not sure if it was just our room?
I wish it had been a better stay. Despite the issues, my kids really liked it. I might give it another try because it's close to home. But I will make sure there are no parties in the courtyard before I choose a dare. And that I book far enough in advance to get a river view. I requested one but we overlooked the courtyard.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank gandycat

Gandycat,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay. We appreciate your honest assessment regarding the positive aspects, as well as opportunities for improving our guest experience. I sincerely apologize for the noise disturbances you encountered from the party in the courtyard and regret the other areas where we fell short of meeting your expectations. We value your business and hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the rewarding stay that you deserve. Thank you again.