“Intimate Thai Place”

Cuisines: Thai
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Intimate Thai Place”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice presentation. Portions are not large but it is not expensive either. Intimate size so you better like the people you go there with. All the entrees and appetizers were very good and the service is excellent. They take reservations and they honor them. We were seated immediately on a Saturday nite reservation. I would go there again. Remember it is byob small corkage fee.

• Visited February 2013

Usa, Japan
“Very delicious”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I went to this place along with my friends, and everybody loved it, from appetizer to main course, side dish, soup everything was very tasty, will definitely go once a month and take out in between.

Service is good too

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Thai comes to the North Hills”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Won Ton soup is unique and delicious, and the pineapple curry is delightful. The restaurant is small, a little hectic at times, but charming. Their spice level is higher than most, so adjust accordingly. The service was wonderful, staff was extremely friendly, and quick. We will return again.

Pittsburgh, PA
“Ignored and then laughed about our food allergy concerns”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

If you care only about the food: we had pad Thai and fried rice. Both were ok though nothing beyond what you would find in the average Thai restaurant around.

If you care about service or about people affected by food allergies, read on:
Our child has a very severe peanut allergy, so we avoid eating it ourselves because of the risk of accidentally transferring it to him. When we go out to eat without him, we do go to Asian restaurants and never had a problem getting dishes with no peanuts in area restaurants. For ourselves, we’re not worried about the risk of cross contamination. We just don’t want to bring any peanut materials home.

My wife and I (without our child) decided to try Red Orchid, which is small and family run with an open kitchen. I asked for Pad Thai without the peanut garnish on top, and explained twice to the server that this was very important. The kitchen staff heard it as well. The place was completely empty with no load on the staff. When we got the appetizers, I verified that they did not contain peanuts either. The main dish arrived and I asked again to make sure there were no peanuts and it looked fine without the usual garnish on top. Only after eating half of it did I chew on something hard and then found a cache of peanuts at the bottom. Not a single one that accidentally transferred, but quite a lot that were clearly put in there. Just to be sure, I asked the server to make sure these were peanuts, and she “wasn’t sure”, and went to ask the kitchen staff. Remember, this is an open kitchen.

At this point, one could apologize for the mistake. Instead, I heard the cook saying something about “ordering pad thai without the peanuts” not making sense. This has never been a problem in any other restaurant, after all, it’s just a garnish, it’s not like I asked for peanut-free satay sauce. The server came back asking if I was allergic (why else would I worry about peanuts?). At this point I explained that I’m not, but that it was important to me to avoid peanuts because of my child. At this point, at least two of the staff BURST OUT LAUGHING.

Life with a severely allergic child is difficult. No meal is relaxed. Travel and eating out is almost impossible. Certain cuisines, like Thai, are out of the question. You may feel that we are being overprotective. But ask yourself whether a customer who asks several times to ensure that a certain ingredient that is known to pose a hazard not be used as garnish deserves this treatment. If the kitchen staff is not interested in providing this variation, the server can suggest another dish. I will assume that the staff accidentally added the peanuts rather than willfully did so. But laughing about this? It’s absolutely unacceptable.

2 Thank uricmu