“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This little italian spot is very near our home and after a so-so first visit we decided to take my daughter and her friend for a second try. Arpinos has a nice outdoor seating and our first visit we enjoyed the ambiance. However it was a cool April night on our second visit and we decided to eat inside. I have been in loud bars before but I can not remember a louder restaurant. The noise made it very difficult to enjoy a pleasant conversation as we were constantly raising our voices to be heard. In our initial visit my wife ordered a spicy red sauce pasta and enjoyed it but did not rave. I ordered the fettuccine carbonara and was very disappointed as it was watery and lacked any real distinctive taste from the cheeses or pancetta. Nevertheless as I like BYOB restaurants and given its close proximity to our home, I decided to give it another try. The second go around I tried the vodka sauce and it was ok but not up to the quality at Safarino's in Crafton. The others in the party were similarly underwhelmed. In Pittsburgh with all its great italian restaurants, being ok is just not good enough.

1  Thank JKWPittsburghPA

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to Arpino Trattoria during Pittsburgh restaurant week. It was our first visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The restaurant is located in a shopping center, tucked back among other stores. There are not many tables and the place was full on Thursday night. Arpino is a BYOB establishment, so we brough a bottle of wine, as did most other diners. There was a small corkage charge. We had the $30 three course restaurant-week meal. All three course were very good. The first course was proscuitto wrapped mozarella, light breaded and fried, served with a slightly spicy marinara sauce. The second course was a chicken thigh and leg with root vegetables served over rissotto. The chicken was tender and the rissotto was tasty. Dessert was a cranberry walnut torta that was excellent (made by the owner's wife from an old family recipe). Service was friendly and attentive. The owner came out and spoke to us, as well as other diners. Quite a few of the patrons appeared to be regulars. Although Arpino is some distance from where we live, it was worth the drive. We plan to return to try some of the interestng sounding items from the regular menu.

1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Dined there for the first time. Service excellent. Small dining room, noise not an issue. Food was simple and presented well. Will return.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I wasn't overly impressed by this restaurant on many levels, however, the homemade pasta was excellent. I will probably return to try out another pasta dish. Portion sizes weren't very large. The appetizers and desserts were sort of average for the price, nothing special. I felt like I was eating dinner in an office, the restaurant was very bright for dinner time. The night we were there we couldn't eat outside, but there is that option on a nice evening.

1  Thank Karen G
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Going with a friend in the restaurant business, we were eager to try Arpino's, to get some perspective. We were seated outside, and promptly forgotten. We ordered what we were told was the "restaurant special", which we shared, along with an extra salad. The portion sizes were small, even by modern standards. We'd still be hungry had we not ordered the extra salad. There was nothing at all special about it-the raviolis and sauce were unremarkable, and the service was painfully slow. You can also get a better value, price-wise. Arpino's shares a shopping center with Max and Erma's-while I'm not a particular fan of their's, they would have been the better value, and the service would have been better.

1  Thank Lspdoll