“Indie seafood restaurant's got it all going!”

Luke Wholey's Wild Alaskan Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Luke Wholey's Wild Alaskan Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 2,305 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Loved the casual and local atmosphere. We came here with our 18 year old son, walked over from the Homewood Suites (see my separate review). We're a bit jaded, foodies from NYC area. Loved this place!

Shrimp and scallops with a light lobster butter were super fresh and tasty, with grilled asparagus and a lobster broth infused rice. Sauteed soft shell crabs with capers over smashed potatoes were rockin'. Couldn't resist getting sushi which happened to be 25% off. Eel roll had perfect rice and flavor.

We sat at the best seat in the house, 3 stools in front of the fish tank. Met Luke who told us he raised all those tropical fish since they were babies. How does he keep the tank so clean? They were fascinating to watch, and they didn't seem to mind us chowing down on their brethren in front of them!

Luke grew up flaying fish at his dad's fish market down the street but it's not just freshness he's got on his side. The preparations were inventive, and they let the seafood flavors shine through.

Had a refreshing martini with muddled cucumber. Hubby had a generous glass of bourbon and green flash ale on draft, good beer selection. They even have a Bloody Mary menu!

Today is their 5th anniversary. Congratulations and hope you make it 50 more Luke!

PS it's pronounced Woolley, like the mammoth.

Reviewed June 28, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I ate lunch here on our first trip to Pittsburgh and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stopped to read the menu and were offered a bite of soft shell crab off of the plate of a friendly man sitting near the door. Although this seemed a bit odd, we got into a conversation with him (he turned out to be the owner's father) and were so enjoying the conversation about our world travels that we decided to stay for lunch.

The food was delicious. My shrimp salad came with almost more shrimp than I could eat and the balsamic dressing was perfect. My husband raved about his blackened salmon for hours after the meal. Our server was also extremely friendly but in a fun, not obtrusive, manner and the return visits to our table by the owner's father made this an entertaining hour or so. We also got information about the city from both men. If you're in the mood to have some fun or just want some good food, I'd recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 15, 2017

I loved my dinner here! Started with the raw oyster and shrimp platter...wonderful...so fresh and the shrimp were perfectly cooked. Moved onto the seafood platter with a lobster tail, more shrimp and some fish...again, perfectly prepared...fresh and delicious...it only came with some sautéed kale which was fine, but an additional side would have been welcome. Ended with the recommended key lime pie which was great. Washed it all down with a few cocktails which, again, were well-prepared and fresh.

My waiter was outstanding. The ambiance is not much to speak of, being super casual, but it was exactly what I was looking for and I will definitely return!

Reviewed June 14, 2017

We went on a Wednesday evening for drinks and a casual dinner. We sat at the bar because a game was on. We ordered drinks, try the Root Mule, and they were great. Bartender was very friendly. We wanted to order food but were told that we could only order off the dinner menu which was mainly meals. They do not serve any fish sandwiches or casual food for dinner. Disappointing because it is a great, but casual atmosphere. We ended up leaving and heading across the street for food. I have been for lunch and really enjoyed the food.

Reviewed June 5, 2017

Some friends meet us in the Strip District for lunch and this was their pick. What a choice! It's worth driving from Ohio just for the Bloody Mary's. Service was great, prices are fair given the quality and the lobster role is wonderful. Parking late morning/early afternoon can be a challenge but it's worth driving around for a few minutes.