“Amazingly Fresh Seafood”

Luke Wholey's Wild Alaskan Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Luke Wholey's Wild Alaskan Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 2,210 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Lobster, crab, oysters, scallops and shrimp! We decided to try them all, one way or another. We stopped in on a lazy Saturday afternoon and ordered from the lunch menu. Everything was very good and fresh and the atmosphere was nice too. The portions were more than enough to fill us up and the service was good, although our crab cake appetizer arrived after our entrees. Overall we had a very good experience. The next time we're in Pittsburgh, we'll be back!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I've had the opportunity to eat at this Luke Wholey's twice and both experiences were good. The lobster bisque is truly to die for...so smooth and flavorful. Thick cut of filet mignon seasoned perfectly with grilled asparagus..YUM. Crabmeat topped cod with a buerre blanc...OMG! Not only is the food good but the employees are very friendly. The manager always comes to the table to check on us and will immediately fix anything that may not be satisfactory. After living here all my life, I must say that this is the BEST seafood restaurant in Western PA.

1  Thank jewcpink
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were wandering around and saw the oysters and Bloody Mary's and decided we had to stop. Open restaurant, so we were able to enjoy the weather while still inside. The Penguins won Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and we enjoyed oysters and cocktails. Awesome experience. Truly memorable!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Luke Wholey’s Wild Alaskan Bar and Grille in Pittsburgh’s Strip District had been open for about nine months before I visited and for this I’m kicking myself. It kind of appeared at the end of last summer and seemed promising in that it has out-door seating and a glass garage door that can be lifted during nice weather. (This is new in Pittsburgh and has been steadily creeping toward ubiquitous.) I mean Wholey’s, because of the family name and landmark fish market was on the radar to try, but it took me too long.
I was already in a terrific mood when we popped in for a quick, early dinner, missing the lunch menu by minutes, at 4 P.M. (This was a pre-show dinner for our high school production’s second weekend and as it’s a terrific show, we were already primed for a good time!) The funky atmosphere made our afternoon more festive, but I would have been happy with the lunch menu which seemed to feature sandwiches cod, crab cake, lobster roll, catfish and shrimp po-boys as well as various chicken sandwiches and burgers and meats. Well, you can check out the menu at http://www.lukewholeys.com/lukewholeyseafood.html for yourself. The dinner menu expands the appetizers and entrees and I was well-pleased.
We started with appetizers of calamari, poppers and an oyster/shrimp platter where all pleased with nice seasonings and tenderness. One companion had a big old bowl of lobster bisque, chock full of hunks of the L word and next time I’m having it, diet or no diet! Trying to watch my calories, I opted for the shrimp and scallops in a sweet soy sauce, with rice and really, scallops are truly a gift from the Gods. At about $23 I found the price to be reasonable and the taste incredible: and I don’t think I’ve ever had better grilled asparagus. A dining partner had the same meal blackened. We traded shrimp and I’m not sure which of us won as both were cooked to perfection! A third companion is allergic to shell fish and was served an exquisite filet with smashed red skin potatoes. This is a Good Thing as I’ve noticed some steak houses don’t do fish well at all, but here, the reverse is definitely not true! (I’d mention Morton’s but it wouldn’t be discrete.) Our fourth companion had a crab-topped hunk of cod and pronounced it glorious. As for afters, the Madagascar Vanilla Bourbon Bean Cheese Cake called to me but I remained faithful to my diet and opted for a Frangelicotini instead.
So all things considered, we’ve found another great eatery in Pittsburgh. If you’re staying in town, say the Courtyard by Marriott near the Convention Center, it’s not a bad walk to get here: about 15 minutes up Penn Avenue. And it is well worth it!

1  Thank jrossmrv
Reviewed April 21, 2013

As a local attorney I with my wife and friends
wanted to try this NEW restaurant.
Sad to say but the people working there
do NOT know what they are doing.
This place was all show but will fail in time.
First of all our waitress took forever after we
ordered drinks to bring them to the table.
Even worse my wife overheard the Bartender
who we think was named Nikki say F at least
three times which was very bad in public.
My wife thought she was either drunk or high.?
Where do they get these people from ? and
who recomends them in the first place.?
The food was mediocre and needless to say
WE WILL NOT be back.