“Annoying venue for a show” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 113 Nightlife in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Annoying venue for a show”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Been to plenty of shows here. They definitely oversell it, and the awkward staircase & merch setup makes it mandatory for you to mosh & push your way around to get any kind of view. So - come ready to work your way to the front. They also have an awkward bar setup with barrier for all ages shows that puts a metal railing in the middle of the dancefloor.

Not my venue of choice in the Burgh - however if a can't miss band comes to Pittsburgh and they're here, i'll be there.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank TomStax

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Extremely disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Perhaps this place is fine just as a bar, but from the perspective of a concert venue I have to stay it's pretty awful. I attended the Bosstones concert this past Saturday. While it would have been lovely to be able to arrive at the venue extra early to ensure a good spot, such is life and my friend and I simply were not able to get there until show time.

Let's just say that I probably could have just sat in my livingroom and listened to them on my computer for free...sure it was great to finally get to HEAR them live, but I never even got to catch a glimpse of them. I didn't get to SEE this band that I paid to see. At all. I think it's atrocious and greedy how badly Altar Bar oversells their shows. When the crowd is backed up to the front door downstairs (and literally behind the staircase), and the upstairs balcony is 5 rows of people deep from the railing, I'm thinking there's a problem here.

We all paid the same amount to see this show. It's not my fault that I couldn't get there hours early. Regardless, no matter how you slice it, there were going to be TONS of people at that show who simply did not even get to see the band just because of how ridiculously crowded the place was. This was probably my only chance to see this band ever, but I didn't even get to see them. Altar Bar seriously needs to reconsider the quantity of tickets that it equates to being "sold out."

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Kelly P
Columbus, Ohio
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Super cool venue.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Went to the Altar Bar to see Neon Trees with Walk The Moon and my favorite home-town band, Twenty One Pilots! I got there hours early to wait and get front row, I had the honor of holding the door open for all the bands to take in their equipment. It was an exciting experience! When doors finally opened, I ran in there and grabbed a front row spot. It was probably the easiest concert experience I have ever had. I don't know if it's because the people in Columbus are more intense and they will push you over to get inside or what! But I would definitely come back to this venue!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Sara B
Phoenix Arizona
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Awesoem Venue, Atrocious Sound”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place has the makings of a world class club. Awesome building, cool location and great lineups. All of this is ruined by very poor acoustics and poor mixing. When dropped in to see "A Rocket to the Moon", since my friend will be seeing them on the Rock Boat in February of 2013.
We really enjoy the visit, but as audiophiles we were disappointed in the incomplete aspects of the sound quality. The owner has done many things to make this an awesome venue. He could have done better with less money. Like many small places it set up for big sound. Which a love, but few places take into consideration the sound reflection off the walls and floors. For this show it was a constant blending of the sounds being reflected over and over, creating an injustice to the bands, building and most importantly the customers. It was impossible to understand any of the lyrics that were sung. Not even those of the acoustic set by the single artist and his guitar.
Simply put, It needs some hard cork or sound suppressing flooring and some of the same on a few of the walls. It's one of those spots where the sound is better on the outside than the inside. It needs to be change into a concert venue and not left as the inside of a big speaker.

Visited October 2012