“Wow- great food and service”
Review of Union Pig and Chicken - CLOSED

Union Pig and Chicken
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant specializing in fried chicken, ribs, and barbecued pork and brisket.
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Just returned from a weekend in Pittsburgh and actually had take-out from here twice- once for lunch and once for dinner. Had eaten there two years ago, and the good word is that it maintains high quality and pleasant service. For lunch try their lunch special- 1/4 chicken (BBQ or fried) w/ one side and a soda for only $8. The fried chicken is moist, tasty and NOT greasy at all. Mac & Cheese, coleslaw are standard sides and both are very good. They also have an up-priced side of hierloom tomatoes which brought a large, tasty, and refreshing salad. For dinner we did similar sides and supplemented a whole chicken with a small amount of brisket and port -too much food for three people and very reasonably priced. It's just up the street from my daugter's store (The Shop in East Liberty) and we are not sure how she avoids eating their great food everyday.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

This was by far the worst service I had in a restaurant. Food was good but we had to call the waiter's attention several times and we checked on our food not once, but three times. He forgot about it continuously. Then my food came on the same plate as my boyfriend's. I had to ask for my own plate. I understand being new at the job, which this kid was, but he shouldn't be bartending and waiting on people, which he was. He then told us, even though it was obvious our group was of several separate people, that you could only split the check into two. I've never been to a restaurant with that kind of policy before and he said it's on the menu, which it is but written at the bottom in 8 font print. Then he said how our groupon wouldn't work (which we told him we had at the beginning before we ordered) because of the drinks we had. The groupon states that drinks can't be included in the price, which is state law and understandable, but he said it would negate it.. Luckily they were taken off the check anyways as an attempt to rectify the situation but he just ended up confusing us further. Again, he was new and it looks like he was pretty much thrown right in but he needs to communicate better with his customers to avoid confusion. I got this groupon as a nice surprise for my boyfriend as a home away from home gift. It ended up being the home you'd leave and never go back to gift.

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

They claim to have a special rub but it's all salt. The flavor will punch your palate back to your liver and make you want to drink their $7 beers. Do. Not. Eat. Here.

Memorable mention, the wings were fine after we returned all of our food.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

On our drive back to NYC we had to stop here b/c it smelled so good from the outside. They did not disappoint. I ordered the Banh Mi sandwich which I was surprised o see on the menu and really enjoyed i -- is it as authentic as the real thing in Vietnam -- no --but it was still very good nonetheless. I also had the bug juice which I really enjoyed. My husband had one of their rib combos which of course I had to try and it was tasty as well. I wouldn't hesitate stopping there again if I were in the area!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Hi I ordered ribs which come by the pound. I paid 18$ foe 4 small boned old!!!! ribs had to be two week the bone was dark and meat old and dried with grey skin. I felt taken advantage of after I was told to come back at 2:45 for my order lunch did not start til 2:30 it was 2:00 pm. I did see brunch the best I should have ordered that for 13$ and saved my money, greens full of vinegar and terrible, mac and cheese old.