“Whoa this place is good”
Review of Union Pig and Chicken - CLOSED

Union Pig and Chicken
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant specializing in fried chicken, ribs, and barbecued pork and brisket.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

An unexpected gem. Barbecue on par with some of the best I have had in KC recently. A sparse modern look inside, with not much ambience, but the food really dominates - as it should. The brisket sandwich is fantastic. Ribs were near perfect. Sides had something for everyone. Worth the 15 minute drive from downtown.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went to Union Pig and Chicken last night and really liked the food. Their pork shoulder was outstanding. You sit at nice picnic tables that have been finished with a most friendly atmosphere. Since this was our first visit we asked the people next to us what they liked and they raved about the pork shoulder. We ordered a two meat platter with pork shoulder and ribs and we raved about the pork shoulder, as well. The ribs were very good, also, but the shoulder was outstanding. The side are really tasty and huge.

We plan to return soon and we will be back in the warmer weather on the Harley with a bunch of our riding buddies.

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Dropped in on a Saturday night around 8pm. It was very busy, but we expected it to be.
Hostess takes your name and you go upstairs to a cool little bar. The staff then comes up to get you. We did wait around an hour and normally I don't do it but figured I'd give it a whirl.

While waiting take a menu up to review.

The dining area consists of 2 rows of picnic like tables. I'm normally not a fan of this but the food makes it worth it.

Try a Cheerwine soda, it reminds me of a Ironbeer. If you haven't had either its sort of like a Dr Pepper.

The portions are HUGE ... So take this advice. Share!!! It comes out on a stainless steel tray and placed in front of you itsmouth watering.

My party of 2, opted to share a 2 meat combo which comes with a side, and slice of cornbread.
We added another side to round it out.
Brisket, BBQ chicken, mac n cheese & potato salad ... All was delicious!!

We both ate a ton and I had enough food for 2 days worth of lunches following.

This place is a must stop!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hip. From the outside you can't seen in through the plate glass windows. For your sake, please do venture in.

The interior is bare wood and plate glass walls. Expansive hardwood tables built to share. Flatware that has heft. Meals served on stainless steel trays. Limited but well executed menue. Minimalism with an edgy contemporary look and feel.

Essentially BBQ and fried chicken. May not sound promising. To some folk, the menue may even sound a bit depraved. However, it works. Food wise, very new millennium and post politically correct. The food and dining experience is good.

I had a fine lunch of 1/4 fried chicken (thigh and drumstick) with coleslaw. The chicken was moist and flavorful on the inside, crispy on the outside. Expect they used a frying chicken as it was large and tasty. The price was $ 7.00 including soft drink. I'd have been happy to have paid double. It was that good.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I figured I'd write a review about a place in my hometown since I love to see reviews from locals when I travel. In a nutshell, this is THE place for barbeque in Pittsburgh. It's not quite Texas, midwestern, or southern style; Chef Kevin Souza gives it his own style. But it's SO GOOD! The brisket is to die for, sides are all terrific, and prices are cheap for what you get. Others have commented on the communal tables; YMMV, but I love them. Only knock on the place is that it can get very loud. But the waiters are so friendly and food so delicious you hardly notice. Highly recommended.