“We have needed this”
Review of Union Pig and Chicken - CLOSED

Union Pig and Chicken
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant specializing in fried chicken, ribs, and barbecued pork and brisket.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hip. From the outside you can't seen in through the plate glass windows. For your sake, please do venture in.

The interior is bare wood and plate glass walls. Expansive hardwood tables built to share. Flatware that has heft. Meals served on stainless steel trays. Limited but well executed menue. Minimalism with an edgy contemporary look and feel.

Essentially BBQ and fried chicken. May not sound promising. To some folk, the menue may even sound a bit depraved. However, it works. Food wise, very new millennium and post politically correct. The food and dining experience is good.

I had a fine lunch of 1/4 fried chicken (thigh and drumstick) with coleslaw. The chicken was moist and flavorful on the inside, crispy on the outside. Expect they used a frying chicken as it was large and tasty. The price was $ 7.00 including soft drink. I'd have been happy to have paid double. It was that good.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I figured I'd write a review about a place in my hometown since I love to see reviews from locals when I travel. In a nutshell, this is THE place for barbeque in Pittsburgh. It's not quite Texas, midwestern, or southern style; Chef Kevin Souza gives it his own style. But it's SO GOOD! The brisket is to die for, sides are all terrific, and prices are cheap for what you get. Others have commented on the communal tables; YMMV, but I love them. Only knock on the place is that it can get very loud. But the waiters are so friendly and food so delicious you hardly notice. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Cute, small place with casual, communal dining - like long picnic tables. The walls could use a little decoration to break up the stark "reclaimed" wood on two walls. Luckily, we didn't have to wait on a Saturday night about 7:30pm. It was mostly full and very loud. The service was quick and explained everything we needed to know. Menu is limited and somewhat pricey, but quality selections. Our group of four had the ribs, combo including the brisket and pork shoulder, fried chicken and mac & cheese. Food was very good and everyone was very pleased with their choices and enjoyed the BBQ because it is lacking in Pittsburgh. Choice of 3 BBQ sauces on the table. Sides were also very good - cole slaw, greens, cornbread were our choices. Fun, casual place, but not somewhere that you would sit for a long evening dinner.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I went here with my wife and 8yo niece. When you walk in you are shocked a bit by the huge communal tables. The staff was very friendly. The place is not very big and it can get packed leading to long waits. We only waited 10-15 minutes. We sat down and were impressed with the small but well thought out beer menu. The staff was very well versed in it. I tried all of them and they were all great. My wife and niece shared a fried chicken platter. I ordered the meat trio. The fried chicken was tasty and not dry at all. On my plate the brisket was out of this world, so tender it cut when the fork stared at it. The pulled pork had a funky Jamaican seasoning that i enjoyed. The ribs were fall off the bone good. We also enjoyed the sides of mac-n-cheese, greens, beans, and cornbread. I am a big eater and could not finish my plate. My suggestion would be to come with a group and just share everything. We will be back.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Want an amazing lunch. Don't count calories or sodium - just order, eat and enjoy. Highly recommend the brisket with Mac & Cheese.