“Nice and quiet.”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #37 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for Anthrocon 2014, normally we stay at the Westin but this year wanted a bit more quiet.
Location is excellent for con-goers and close to many food options.
Housekeeping was nice, friendly and helpful; they met our requests always with a smile. We had a small incident where our housekeeper left only two bath towels (4 people), but after a call more towels were delivered. Front desk was also friendly. Our room was clean, good size bathroom and comfortable beds (window did have a deep crack top-to-bottom). Overall, it was nice; we'll stay here again.

The only reason I do not rate this 5-star, it's a little unnerving to unload luggage in the street, and our room was placed weirdly on the bottom of a landing after staircase. We had -heavy- luggage and of course there was no way to get a valet cart down there so we had to team up and haul our cases up/down the stairs. There was a room adjacent to ours marked as "accessible" which we thought was ironic given the only way in/out of the landing was either through the service stairs, or up the hallway stairs.

Room Tip: Ask if you have a corner room at the end of the hall as these are the ones placed down the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kee S
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Kee S,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers. I am happy to hear your enjoyed our quiet rooms and great location, but most importantly our friendly staff. I appreciate you recognizing our strengths while providing us some areas of opportunity for improvement. A return visit is the best compliment, so we hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Despite being a Marriott-brand hotel, Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown's service and room qualities were not up to par with the Marriott standard but still charged Marriott price.

I had a bad impression of this hotel before I even entered. I made a two-night reservation for a business trip, but I was stranded in an airport overnight because of cancelled flights. I called the hotel to explain my situation and asked to change my reservation, but the receptionist was not having it. She was completely unsympathetic to my plight and insisted me to pay for the night that I'm not staying. Eventually, I had to get my project manager to resolve this issue.

Both the room and the lobby were not spacious, although that's understandable given that the hotel was in downtown. What's not understandable was the creaking floor throughout the hotel floor, which amplified no matter how light my steps were. Good thing that I was not living below night owls, but that would not matter because the AC unit was too loud to get a good sleep anyway. Why would a Marriott hotel have an AC unit that's louder than my grandma's AC unit from the 1980s is completely beyond me.

Seriously reconsider if you decide to live here. Aside from sub-par room and service that are unusually low by the Marriott standard, note that the only available parking nearby will escalate the unjust price that you have to pay to stay in this hotel.

1  Thank Jay Y

Dear Jay Y,

Thank you for your review. Please know we take issues such as noise pollution seriously and we’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and we are sorry for falling short of this goal. Your satisfaction is important to us and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Location is very good, just on Penn Ave, walking distance to restaurants and the Andy Warhol Museum. Rooms are OK, breakfast is OK. Free WIFI. Everything is just OK, nothing outstanding. Breakfast area is Ok but not beautiful. Lobby area is nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We are glad you stayed with us and appreciate your business. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and nice lobby. Along with providing us with areas of opportunity, your feedback serves as encouragement to our associates. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Our room was great. Employees were all very nice and accommodating, most especially the valet who drove us to the location of a wedding in the shuttle van. Very close to many things downtown. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Ellen D,

Our associates understand and believe that our valued guests deserve an exceptional stay and we will continue to push daily to find new ways to WOW our guests. I will be sure to share your very nice comments with our team; they work hard to ensure guests feel at home. I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The quality of Courtyards varies, and this is one to avoid. I have found that the older properties, & those frequented by "conventioneers" are normally sub-standard. This is an example.

The facilities are worn by years of many, many conventioneers. The nearby Convention Center means that it is almost always filled with either business travelers, or party-goers visiting the craft, rock music, comic book, cooking, etc, Convention. Thus, the hotel has been worn by years of wear & tear of people "having too much fun" away from home. The lobby has been refreshed, but the rest of the hotel is overdue for an update. The staff is hard to find & appear to be annoyed if asked any questions or any service is requested.

I suggest that you stay elsewhere and walk further to the Convention Center.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

I'm so sorry to hear we let you down and would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay and service you've come to expect from us. We value your business and your loyalty to our brand. I appreciate your feedback as it allows us to positively impact future guest experiences.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We were in town for a conference and wanted points at a hotel where we collect them (Marriott, Hilton and IHG). Marriott was closest and was just around the corner from the convention center. I will say that in cold weather, Westin is better because they have a sky bridge to the convention center. But, for us, this was great. The bed was VERY comfortable and the room quiet. We stayed the weekend after the conference for some down time and to enjoy Pittsburgh. We could not hear the Jazz Fest going on in the street because the rooms are so quiet. With that said, our room faced the interior courtyard which is going to be quiet. The bellmen / valets got to know us and were so very friendly and helpful! What terrific people. The front desk even faxed a few pages for me gratis and they gave me a lot of paper to print. However, the business printer is so slow that you save money printing lots of pages at FedEx which is what we wound up doing. We asked at check-in to extend our stay and were very pleased at how the first reservation and second reservation were plot on our invoice - makes it so easy to denote business versus personal expenses. Thank you for a terrific stay.

Room Tip: There is really not a view from this hotel in my opinion because it is short and the river can not b...
1  Thank DLemon
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

I’m so glad you enjoyed your experience staying at the Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown during your convention and long weekend. I’m delighted to know you enjoyed our comfort. It’s encouraging to hear that our hard work is affecting the guest experience. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our team. Thank you taking the time to write.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

The location of this hotel is great! You're right in the heart of Pittsburgh's cultural district. There are several restaurants and night life within walking distance of the hotel. We didn't interact with the staff very much but from what I could tell everyone was very friendly. The hotel was clean and offered night amenities like a gym & courtyard terrace on the third floor. Our room had vaulted ceilings with very large windows - unusual for a downtown hotel but definitely a nice surprise. The beds were soft, they had a sturdy and soft pillows to fit your liking. Water pressure was a little strong but nothing to shy away from. Our view was of a parking garage but that didn't bother me at all. I'd recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. We’re pleased to hear our spacious rooms, friendly staff, and convenient location made for an enjoyable stay. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area.