“Great Location!”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here with 4 other couples for a get away without kids. This place was perfect...within walking distance to plenty of bars and restaurants, including the Strip District. The staff was very friendly. The hotel offers a free shuttle service (a van that holds ten) to locations within a 3 mile radius. We were never waiting on the shuttle very long and I would take a free shuttle over a free breakfast any day! We took the shuttle to Pamela's in the Strip and then walked back. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear adam N,
We love that you used our shuttle to explore the city and that you made it to Pamela’s- Those hotcakes are something else!!! I am glad you found out team to be friendly, and if your intent to return is any indication, I’ll take it that you found everything in working order and up to the standards you expect from a Marriott hotel.

My team and I appreciate your enthusiasm to “return in a heartbeat” and want you to know we will be here waiting!

Kindest regards to you and your friends,

Reviewed October 22, 2013

So I write this review while still in the hotel and I really cant believe the things I have experienced here thus far. It is clear to me that this hotel is very much lacking good management.

Overall the hotel is lovely, set right downtown and very close to the Lawrence conference center. It appears that everything here has been freshly renovated and they've done a great job with it. Some reviewers have commented on the creaky floors which I experienced but this comes with the charm of an old building. The rooms are laid out well and are quite functional. Also, I have to say that the majority of the front desk people I have encountered have been terrific.

Now the Bad...

1. No amenities in my room eg. shampoo, conditioner, coffee. Nothing. Now this wouldn't be a big issue as I dont use them anyway but in combo with everything else, it screams poor management
2. Housekeeping employees
A. Today when I walked out of my room there was a housekeeper sitting on the chair outside the elevators playing with her iphone. Couldn't believe that this is an acceptable practise in a Marriott hotel. I went up to her to ask her what level the terrace is on, and was told "just a minute, Im almost done writing this" While i waited for her to finish she then looked up and said "third floor" nothing more.
B. Also today another housekeeper that was walking around the corridor chatting on her cell.
3. The 'market' - which usually signifies freshness, beware of this area as everything is overpriced and also almost everything I looked at was months past the best before date.
4. Cleanliness - My room honestly is filthy, the TV area is covered in a 1/4 inch of dust, there was hair in the bathtub and on the toilet seat and a red stain on my bedspread. As well the lights in the corridors are covered in cobwebs.
5. Room service - Ordered room service while here. I ordered a sandwich and a drink. When it arrived there was no tray, and was plopped on the desk. The Pepsi I ordered was delivered in a coffee cup and there was no straw and no silverware for my food. In addition no condiments for my sandwich or fries. Wow.

overall it's clear the ownership of this hotel has invested a lot into freshening it up with the renovation. It's a shame the management they've hired dont know how to get up from behind their desk and walk their hotel to see what's really going on.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WorkinTraveller

Dear WorkinTraveller

I was very sorry to hear of your displeasure during your recent stay with us. Certainly, many of the issues you raised are serious and pertinent to travelers looking for future accommodations. Which is why I find it interesting that the complaints regarding cleanliness, service, and freshness leveled against our hotel do not coincide with other traveler reviews nor do they appear on customer feedback trends we monitor continually.

I wish you would have challenged me or any manager from my team to address these issues while you were in-house as our guest as we are only empowered to address problems if they are brought to our attention. I challenge our guests to let us know when they are dissatisfied or when they see something that is unsatisfactory. If then we fail to act, we are truly guilty of mismanagement. All of our department heads have been made aware of your review and are looking forward to ensuring that it is not representative of our hotel to readers and prospective guests.

Attentively,

Reviewed October 20, 2013

||Do not consider this as Marriot standards.
Not worth the $200 plus per night.
Upon arrival we were assigned a King' Courtyard view Room.

Yes it had a view of windows that have not been cleaned in months, perhaps years. Yes we had a scenic view of the courtyard with an overfilled ashtray. Management need to pay attention to detail if they want to disply the Marriot name.

The location is not the greatest as the sidewalk "rolls" up after 7:00 pm. It was Sunday.

A positive note, the staff were friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

RLG50;
I apologize you were so displeased with our King rooms and their atrium view. I agree that as with most things it has it's pros, very quiet rooms, and cons, lack of a city view.
Our windows are cleaned annually, but I apologize if they were not up to your standards.
I'm sorry to hear that you found the courtyard to be unkempt and I will address this with our staff to assure it receives consistent attention.

It has been a very busy weekend as we had the Pens v Canucks and Panthers v Old Dominion games Saturday, as well as the Steelers v Ravens this evening. Our team has been working diligently to serve our guests, as I can attest to by having spent a good part of the weekend along side them. I hope you are making the most of your stay and I greatly appreciate your positive note regarding our friendly and attentive staff.

It's unfortunate to hear that you felt the street "rolls" up after 7pm. In our street you'll find some of the best restaurants in the city, two hotels and three theaters... In less than a mile you'll find innumerable fine-dining options, the headquarters of 5 Fortune 500 companies, three professional-sports arenas, parks, museums... I'm sure The City of Champions holds it own to Lakeshore when it comes to events and attractions. Pittsburgh is also a very safe city, one of the many measures that continues to rank us as one of the most liveable cities in America by Places Rated Almanac, Forbes Magazine and The Economist. After the game let out and the Steelers beat the Ravens(!!!) the city definitely slowed down, as could be expected of most city-centers on a Sunday night. Nevertheless, this does not mean it turns for the worst. We value you as our guest and appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in Pittsburgh.

Francisco Selles

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice, clean hotel in a great location. Easy walking distance to just about everything. The coffee (both the hotel's complimentary and the starbucks) needs tweaking, but overall, the place was great! I loved the fitness center. It was never crowded, spotless, and the equipment was in excellent condition. The restaurant was typical for a downtown city, but they had both indoor and outdoor seating. Staff were friendly and helpful, too

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors, it was very quiet. Avoid the 3rd floor, as the courtyard, fitnes...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Yankred
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the area and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We have a dedicated team with a focus to provide clean rooms and facilities with everything in working order. Our Bistro team takes great pride in providing fresh and healthy breakfast options. Please join us again and discover our other amenities and neighboring restaurants and attractions.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Excellent service at this hotel. Staff is very nice and eager to please.Short walk to the Benedum and Heinz Hall. Many excellent restaurants are in the immediate area. Will stay here again for sure.Breakfast in the bistro was very good and plentiful. Coffee in the lobby all day was welcome as was the lemonade.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

pinkcat527,
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Nothing brings us greater satisfaction than the recognition from guest like you of excellent service. We are eager to please and our dedicated team works hard to make for a pleasant stay. There is a laundry list of attractions nearby including the Heinz History Center, Station Square, Andy Warhol Museum, the Strip District, PNC/Heinz Field, Point State Park…. So you’ll definitely have an excuse to visit and if you do, please join us again!

Thank you for your patronage and kind review,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the Courtyard in downtown Pittsburgh when we drove to the city to visit friends. We did use a Marriott Reward certificate for a free nights stay, and didn't know what to expect with regards to the level of service or amenities. We have used Priceline before to make reservations and it seems that sometimes the staff treats you with a little less respect with you are a "Priceliner". I had expected the same thing when redeeming a certificate for a free night. Upon check in, I asked if there had any complimentary upgrades available (we are Marriott Rewards members) but I didn't expect to get much. We were told that there was an upgrade available and given 2 keys to the room. We were put in room 514. No view, but that wasn't why we were there. The room was fantastic. As nice as any hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was interesting when approaching the room that we had to walk down a flight of stairs at the end of the hall. Once we walked in, we could see why. The ceilings in this room had to be 16 feet high. The room had a very nice sized living area with tv, desk, sofa, bar. Next to that was the bathroom (more than adequate) and beyond that was the bedroom. King size bed, nice mattress, tv and plenty of space to spread things out.

I wish we had taken pictures so we could show everyone what a great room it was. We hated to leave.

Definitely will make reservations at this location again next time we come to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: If you can score room 514, consider yourself lucky. I don't know what other rooms are like this...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SSchus87
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Hi SSchus87!
We definitely respect Marriott Rewards members who are loyal to Marriott branded hotels on all those nights away from home. We see it as a privilege when guests like you redeem points to join us at our location. I'm glad you enjoyed the suite with the vaulted ceilings, oversized living room area, and wet bar. Being a conversion from a historic building gives our hotel a unique feel, we keep it feeling current by regularly working on our decor and amenities. As you pointed out, most of our suites and king rooms face the interior atrium, which may not have the most interesting view, but they are always insulated from the sounds of the city.
I'm ecstatic you enjoyed the upgrade! Let us know when you'll be joining us again so you can take those pictures and hopefully you can attach them to another great review.
Thank you for your kindness and for your time.

Attentively,

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Kyle, Shelagh, and Zac "saved the day" while on a 5-day business trip in Pittsburgh. They went above and beyond to assist with a most unusual need/request - find a shoe repair place that could fix a pair of shoes in a flash. While in all-day business meetings, they graciously found a repair shop, dropped off and picked up my shoes, and had them waiting for me upon my return. Thanks to each of you for your assistance. Somehow I have a feeling you will do the same for your next guest that comes along with either a common or unusual request. A+ all the way; customer service to the max!!! Thanks again!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brenda W
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Brenda W,
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to recognize our team's effort. I love how they worked together to problem solve allowing you to have a more productive trip. There's no training manual for that, just a group of people who enjoy working together and take pride in their work. Please join us again Kyle, Shelagh, Zac, and the rest of us will be waiting for you!
Kindest regards,