“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Alexandria, VA
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've stayed at a number of different Courtyard/Marriott hotels in my travels. This one is a gem. Conveniently located in the heart of the downtown area, it was walking distance to all my clients. There are also a number of nice restaurants located within a block of the hotel.

The staff was wonderful, and very accommodating. The room was pleasant and comfortable, and most of all, quiet! The cafe area is open for breakfast, but unlike some other Courtyard properties, they don't serve anything during the evening. There is a very nice restaurant attached to the hotel, though, Sonoma Grill, which I highly recommend.

I will definitely stay at this hotel on my next trip to Pittsburgh!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
tinkin3,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. It’s wonderful to hear that our central location in the heart of downtown afforded you the convenience of being walking distance from your clients, as well as all the many dining options nearby. I’ll be certain to pass along your complimentary feedback to our friendly staff on their excellence in service and warm hospitality. We’re glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us and we hope you’ll return for another visit soon. Thank you again for writing.

Francisco Selles, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent the night with our 4 year old daughter for the 4th of July. The hotel location is great. Right next to the convention center, easy walking distance to all of the theaters, great restaurants, river walk and ball park. We walked to Point State Park and it wasnt far either.

The hotel seemed newly remodeled. Lobby was nice. The breakfast bar was perfect for the next morning, smoothies, oatmeal, grilled breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, etc and Starbucks.

We got a 4th floor, king size room overlooking the courtyard. Room was spacious, clean, the bathroom was really big.

I would definitely plan on staying here again, especially for a night after a theater show.

The interesting part of our stay was it coincided with the annual Furry Convention. People everywhere with tails and ears, or full on fur costumes. Very entertaining for us and our daughter.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank HappyRen123
HappyRen123,
We’re happy to hear from you, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. It’s great to know our central location provided many options and conveniences for your travel needs and you enjoyed an entertaining walk to our many area attractions with the Furry Convention in town. We appreciate your business and kind comments about our clean and spacious accommodations. We hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again for more family fun. Thank you again for writing.

Ligonier, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Marriott has three properties in downtown Pittsburgh and this is the first time we stayed at Courtyard. It has a younger crowd which makes sense because of the price. Courtyard is conveniently located near the culture district, shopping and the bridges to the north shore. It's also not far from the strip district or the bike trails.

The hotel is located on Penn Avenue and has valet parking. Valet service costs 16 + 6 tax + tip.

Internet service is free. There is a small market open 24/7 by the front desk where you can buy snacks. Buy bottled water if you want it because there are no free water bottles in the room.

We didn't try the restaurant but it has a good reputation with locals. They have free coffee in the lobby. There is also a Starbucks on site.

The hotel is clean. The room was nice but had no view. It looked out over the courtyard and at other room windows. The downside with this Marriott was the bed. We are so used to the extremely comfortable beds in Marriotts. This room did not have the usual Marriott bed. It was okay but not great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DianeCips
DianeCipa,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our clean rooms and found our convenient location near the cultural district well suited for your travels. Your feedback and satisfaction is of greatest importance to us. We sincerely apologize that the comfort of our beds did not meet your expectations. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and we hope you will have an opportunity to return for another visit. Thank you again for writing.

Tustin, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

For not knowing where I was going, this Marriott Courtyard turned out to be a pleasant surprise, from the location to the quality of the room. If you're going to stay downtown, this would be a good choice for practically anyone. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Silver Elite member]

For your consideration:
(1) My top floor room was huuuge ... lots of space in which to move around, and made to feel even more spacious by the high ceilings.
(2) Rooms on the north side (away from the street) face the Convention Center. The view is unexciting, but there's no street noise.
(3) There was no mini-bar or self-use fridge in my room (no hum during the night, yay!). I'm not sure if this is typical for all the rooms.
(4) Showers are excellent and have good water flow without having to crank up the pressure.
(5) There is free internet available next to the lobby, which made it very convenient for me to check messages on my way in or out of the hotel (I don't own a laptop or smart phone).
(6) Valet parking is $22/night with unlimited in-and-out. I was told that the nearest downtown self-parking lot was a couple blocks away, with a $10/entrance charge (note: I did not verify this myself).
(7) The hotel is situated on a street with a multitude of choices for dining/drinking. I stayed two nights and had dinner right across the street both nights.
(8) There are Metro stations a short walk away, and the ride is free if one stays within the central business district. Bus stops are all over the place. If you're energetic, walking is definitely an option if you need to get to the financial area near where the rivers meet.
(9) The front desk staff was awesome. Everyone I met was friendly and gave me great advice about getting around in the Pittsburgh area.
(10) My mid-week stay was just shy of $300 per night (including parking), which I consider average for a good downtown hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jim L
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your review.
I loved your listing of notable items. Of course the source of celebration for us is number 9!
I am glad you found our hotel to be the complete package! At the end of the day we want our guests to make the most of their visit to our beautiful city, whether on business or leisure. We don't mind being a anecdote in the story as long as we leave a favorable impression, enough to make you return to us if your plans bring you back to the 'burgh!

Kindest Regards,
Francisco Sellés
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights before biking the GAP. The breakfast bistro is very good with a good variety of choices. The mini store was great for picking up snacks, fruit, beer etc . My room was luxurious and quiet. I also appreciated the front desk putting my rental bicycle in safekeeping in a back room overnight.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
I am so jealous! We see an increasing number of bikers arriving to Pittsburgh by train and staying with us before starting the trek. In the process we have learned quite a bit about the Great Allegheny Passage and the C&O Canal Trail. For those of you who do not know, these bike trails run from Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD and to Washington DC (respectively). There are a ton of resources online to help plan your trip. We've seen all types of folks set out on what must be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Qtrain, I am glad we were somehow part of the adventure by providing a good starting point. If you set out on the trail again bring friends and join us once again.
Thank you for the kind review!

Attentively,
Francisco Sellés, General Manager
pittsburgh
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are native Pittsburgh Moms and wanted to treat our teenage daughters for their birthdays with dinner and a Saturday afternoon in the strip district. The staff was friendly and the rooms very clean. The rooms feel spacious because of the high ceilings and the decor was up to date and attractive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
momtraveler43,
It’s great to hear from you! Thank you for sharing your review and kind comments about our spacious and clean accommodations, as well as our friendly staff. We appreciate you choosing to celebrate your teenage daughter’s birthdays with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. Please plan to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The location for this hotel is always good when you are doing downtown activities. Great for cultural district and strip district. I feel we got a pretty decent rate for a Saturday night stay downtown. However, there were a few things that I just didn't expect in a decent hotel. For one, the shower temperature was horrible. I couldn't get it to stay at a normal warm temp for more than a minute or two. It would then suddenly turn SO hot I felt like I might have burn marks! So I had to quick make it freezing cold. It was very frustrating. A shower should be a basic thing in a hotel like that.

The worse thing was the housekeeping in the morning. We were only staying one night and checking out that morning, but early in the morning before we had woken up, they were banging on our door and shouting very loudly. Knowing we were checking out anyway, no housekeeping should have been stopping by in the morning, period. Nevermind continually banging and shouting until I finally got up and turned them away. Then housekeeping continued to be very loud and noisy out in the hallway. So we just cut our sleep short, got up and checked out early. Very disorderly and unprofessional in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kelly P,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, and we’re glad our central location was well suited for your travel needs. We sincerely apologize for your unhappiness and the frustrations you encountered during your stay. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again