“the less expensive Marriott in downtown”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Marriott has three properties in downtown Pittsburgh and this is the first time we stayed at Courtyard. It has a younger crowd which makes sense because of the price. Courtyard is conveniently located near the culture district, shopping and the bridges to the north shore. It's also not far from the strip district or the bike trails.

The hotel is located on Penn Avenue and has valet parking. Valet service costs 16 + 6 tax + tip.

Internet service is free. There is a small market open 24/7 by the front desk where you can buy snacks. Buy bottled water if you want it because there are no free water bottles in the room.

We didn't try the restaurant but it has a good reputation with locals. They have free coffee in the lobby. There is also a Starbucks on site.

The hotel is clean. The room was nice but had no view. It looked out over the courtyard and at other room windows. The downside with this Marriott was the bed. We are so used to the extremely comfortable beds in Marriotts. This room did not have the usual Marriott bed. It was okay but not great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DianeCips
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

DianeCipa,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our clean rooms and found our convenient location near the cultural district well suited for your travels. Your feedback and satisfaction is of greatest importance to us. We sincerely apologize that the comfort of our beds did not meet your expectations. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and we hope you will have an opportunity to return for another visit. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

For not knowing where I was going, this Marriott Courtyard turned out to be a pleasant surprise, from the location to the quality of the room. If you're going to stay downtown, this would be a good choice for practically anyone. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Silver Elite member]

For your consideration:
(1) My top floor room was huuuge ... lots of space in which to move around, and made to feel even more spacious by the high ceilings.
(2) Rooms on the north side (away from the street) face the Convention Center. The view is unexciting, but there's no street noise.
(3) There was no mini-bar or self-use fridge in my room (no hum during the night, yay!). I'm not sure if this is typical for all the rooms.
(4) Showers are excellent and have good water flow without having to crank up the pressure.
(5) There is free internet available next to the lobby, which made it very convenient for me to check messages on my way in or out of the hotel (I don't own a laptop or smart phone).
(6) Valet parking is $22/night with unlimited in-and-out. I was told that the nearest downtown self-parking lot was a couple blocks away, with a $10/entrance charge (note: I did not verify this myself).
(7) The hotel is situated on a street with a multitude of choices for dining/drinking. I stayed two nights and had dinner right across the street both nights.
(8) There are Metro stations a short walk away, and the ride is free if one stays within the central business district. Bus stops are all over the place. If you're energetic, walking is definitely an option if you need to get to the financial area near where the rivers meet.
(9) The front desk staff was awesome. Everyone I met was friendly and gave me great advice about getting around in the Pittsburgh area.
(10) My mid-week stay was just shy of $300 per night (including parking), which I consider average for a good downtown hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jim L
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your review.
I loved your listing of notable items. Of course the source of celebration for us is number 9!
I am glad you found our hotel to be the complete package! At the end of the day we want our guests to make the most of their visit to our beautiful city, whether on business or leisure. We don't mind being a anecdote in the story as long as we leave a favorable impression, enough to make you return to us if your plans bring you back to the 'burgh!

Kindest Regards,
Francisco Sellés

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights before biking the GAP. The breakfast bistro is very good with a good variety of choices. The mini store was great for picking up snacks, fruit, beer etc . My room was luxurious and quiet. I also appreciated the front desk putting my rental bicycle in safekeeping in a back room overnight.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

I am so jealous! We see an increasing number of bikers arriving to Pittsburgh by train and staying with us before starting the trek. In the process we have learned quite a bit about the Great Allegheny Passage and the C&O Canal Trail. For those of you who do not know, these bike trails run from Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD and to Washington DC (respectively). There are a ton of resources online to help plan your trip. We've seen all types of folks set out on what must be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Qtrain, I am glad we were somehow part of the adventure by providing a good starting point. If you set out on the trail again bring friends and join us once again.
Thank you for the kind review!

Attentively,
Francisco Sellés, General Manager

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are native Pittsburgh Moms and wanted to treat our teenage daughters for their birthdays with dinner and a Saturday afternoon in the strip district. The staff was friendly and the rooms very clean. The rooms feel spacious because of the high ceilings and the decor was up to date and attractive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

momtraveler43,
It’s great to hear from you! Thank you for sharing your review and kind comments about our spacious and clean accommodations, as well as our friendly staff. We appreciate you choosing to celebrate your teenage daughter’s birthdays with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. Please plan to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The location for this hotel is always good when you are doing downtown activities. Great for cultural district and strip district. I feel we got a pretty decent rate for a Saturday night stay downtown. However, there were a few things that I just didn't expect in a decent hotel. For one, the shower temperature was horrible. I couldn't get it to stay at a normal warm temp for more than a minute or two. It would then suddenly turn SO hot I felt like I might have burn marks! So I had to quick make it freezing cold. It was very frustrating. A shower should be a basic thing in a hotel like that.

The worse thing was the housekeeping in the morning. We were only staying one night and checking out that morning, but early in the morning before we had woken up, they were banging on our door and shouting very loudly. Knowing we were checking out anyway, no housekeeping should have been stopping by in the morning, period. Nevermind continually banging and shouting until I finally got up and turned them away. Then housekeeping continued to be very loud and noisy out in the hallway. So we just cut our sleep short, got up and checked out early. Very disorderly and unprofessional in my opinion.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Kelly P,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, and we’re glad our central location was well suited for your travel needs. We sincerely apologize for your unhappiness and the frustrations you encountered during your stay. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We came to Pittsburgh to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. The hotel was sold out and completely full. They handled the crowd excellant. They took time and answered all of our questions. Our room was ready, clean and nice. The girl at the desk helped us with directions to Church and recommended restaurants within walking distance. Then helped us with a late check out after the race. The room was quiet. A totally enjoyable experience. I hated leaving.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Getting ready for the influx of Marathoners was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. We were excited to see a lot of Marathon-veterans who have been so loyal to our Courtyard Marriott over the years, and eager to impress our first-time guests. The desk agents learned all about the Marathon and were prepare for all types of questions. The Bistro team was eager to impress and opened early to make sure everyone had a breakfast option before the 7am start time. Our Room Attendants did an incredible job on Sunday, not only accommodating late checkouts, but by turning the house over for the in-coming convention-goers. It was a busy weekend but a great time, and although we couldn’t line up along the route on that beautiful spring day, it doesn’t mean we weren’t cheering on all our guests! Please join us next year, and maybe stay a couple extra days so we can show a little of what Pittsburgh had to offer.

Thank you so much for your kind review, Francisco

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Only problem was that we could hear people outside on the ground through our 8th floor windows at 1am. It was muffled but you could still here people if they yelled out, which I believe on a Friday and Saturday in a college town usually happens. Its not a deal breaker but something to consider. Rooms were nice, clean hotel and the fact that they can brew me a good cup of Starbucks at anytime is great.

• Stayed: May 2013

lexycal,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your stay with us Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. We appreciate your kind comments about our great location and clean hotel. We're proud to offer a good cup of Starbucks to our guests, and we're glad that was an added perk to your stay. I apologize for any noisy disturbances from the street level that you encountered during your visit. We value you as our guest and hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.