“Great Staff but Never Again”

Comfort Inn Conference Center
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Beckley, West Virginia
“Great Staff but Never Again”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I would never stay at this hotel again... Let me start by saying the staff at this hotel was great....very nice and helpful.... The hotel is honestly like a maze, we had to take our little map they gave us of the hotel to find the pool each time that we went, it also took a while to find our room, and to get back to the lobby.. I have never been in a hotel that was set up like this one was.. aweful.... Our room was ok... nice flat screen tv and patio doors so we could go straight to our vehicle.. They have a really good sized pool and hot tub... The pool area was not very clean , seems really run down and old actually the whole hotel seems rundown and old with a bad smell... They had a good free breakfast in the hotel restaurant , eggs , sausage , bagels, toast, muffins, waffles , cereal ,oj and coffee, plenty enough for a good breakfast.... The whole time that we was at this hotel , we wished we would have stayed somewhere else...Spend the extra money and go somewhere else, you will regret it if you dont....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I stayed at the Comfort Inn for 4 days in January to attend a relative's funeral, and booked it primarily because I could take my dogs along. Although the accommodations are not 4-star and amenities are no-frills, the rooms are sizeable and clean. The front office staff and housekeeping are exceedingly warm and friendly. The location is perfect, with easy access to Parkway East.

We also had a luncheon (approximately 40 people) catered at the hotel. The food and service were very good and all attendees agreed that they would consider the hotel for future events.

If you have pets, ask for the first-floor rooms with sliding doors to a patio and large and inviting walking area. The only issue I had was when the security bar on the door fell back into place while I was outside, and since I didn't have my room key and had engaged the deadbolt on the room door, I was quite effectively locked out of my room...and the maintenance man sent to help me took nearly half an hour to respond and was openly rude. A fairly minor complaint in light of all the positives offered by the hotel.

I am booking another stay there this month. Don't let the negative reviews below scare you away.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank jennifer626
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Entered the first room where the heater was on and it smelled like it had been smoked in the night before in this completely non-smoking hotel. I was on the top floor so I was sure it was not coming from outside. Changed rooms- the new room didn't have the heater on nor did it smell like smoke... Until I put the heater on. I was stuck there for 5 miserable nights and kept the window open the whole time. Overall everything in this hotel needs an upgrade. Their "fitness room" is a joke with maybe 4 pieces of equipment. The only positive of this hotel is that it was close to where I was doing business, but with so many other options near-by, I will never be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2011

Travelers are raving about these Pittsburgh hotels

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This hotel was terrible for travel with kids and my mother who has difficulty walking. There are no elevators and the place is built with many different levels. the hallways are very long and confusing. the room was clean and beds were comfortable, but the rest of the place is in need of major updates. The breakfast was fair. The pool area was very run down and bathrooms in pool area were falling apart.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mama2sons
pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed January 21, 2011

One night stay. Room was clean. Ate in the Indigio Resturant. The food was good and reasonably priced. Our server, Kelli, would asked us how the food was and if we needed anything. The breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, malt waffles, cereals, and other things. The staff helpful and friendly. Booked through Comfort Inn website.

• Stayed January 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Serious cleaning & remodeling are needed at this aging property. The convenient location & friendly/helpful staff just can't overcome the dirty, threadbare upholstery, ancient damaged wallcoverings or yukky stained carpet. The hotel was sold out because of a home game (Pittsburgh Steelers) & a wedding party, causing a traffic jam because there were not enough parking spaces in the lot. This also meant that guests were partying in the halls until the wee hours. On the positive side, there was plenty of hot water, the heater worked & the towels were clean. Copies are 10c a page at the front desk.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I recently had a business meeting in Monroeville, PA. I travel at least 150-200 nights a year and am no stranger to hotels. Unfortunately the hotel in Monroeville I booked at was in an over book situation and I didn’t make the cut. This Comfort Inn hotel is actually closer to Monroeville, PA. than downtown Pittsburgh, PA. I had a business meeting in Monroeville, PA. the following morning so decided to stay in the area as opposed to driving 60 miles out of the way for the next available hotel. My thought process at the time was, “it’s a chain hotel, how bad could it possibly be”.

First off, this place is just plain outdated. I don’t know when the place was built, but it hasn’t seen a coat of paint or new furniture in a long time. It was border line clean. Not really clean, just clean enough not to make guest leave upon first sight.

I typically don’t notice marked up walls, peeling paint, or torn wall paper, if it’s not overwhelming. This was beyond overwhelming. My particular room was a lower floor room, when I opened the door there was a very overpowering musty smell. I thought it just needed some air circulated so I turned on the AC unit. The smell coming from the AC unit was so bad I was forced to shut if off. Upon inspection around the windows and doors there was a very bad mold problem.

I arrived at the hotel about 8:00 pm, and by time I decided it was too bad for me to stay it was about 10:00 pm. At that point I decided I had two choices, check out and sleep in my car, or suck it up for the night. This wasn’t really the place I felt safe staying in my car, besides that I had paid for the night and needed to be showered and ready to go for my meeting in the morning. I decided to suck it up. Luckily to date I haven’t had any bed bug issues, however this would be the kind of place that would have them. When I did check out in the morning it was a very disheartening feeling. The clerk didn’t even ask if my stay was ok. I figure she knew better than to ask guest that knowing what the answer would be. I thought about asking for the manager, but what good would it have done for me to ruin my day by starting in off in a negative manner. Even if they would have refunded all the money it wouldn’t have made me any happier. This place is just a dump and should be torn down to make way for a clean hotel, or just a park … anything but what it is now.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank HotelPerson04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Comfort Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Allegheny Valley
Red Roof PLUS+ Pittsburgh Monroeville
Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 12 in Monroeville
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh - Monroeville Convention Center
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Monroeville

Been to Comfort Inn Conference Center? Share your experiences!