“Worst Hotel Experience Ever”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #54 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed here recently for a work trip. After a comedy of errors in both booking the rooms and staying at the hotel, I sent the below (abridged) complaint to the Holiday Inn national management:

**********************
I have never experienced the sheer lack of service as I did recently at the Holiday Inn Express South Side Pittsburgh.

Reservations and Payment: I booked a group of 8 rooms for four days. I needed an invoice or confirmation with the entire cost of the rooms in order to have my organization write a check for the total cost. I was told that the manager of the hotel was the only person who could provide me with this documention. Over the three weeks preceding the stay, I left no less than 9 voicemails for the manager. Each voicemail provided my name, email address, cell phone number, confirmation code, and a clear explanation of what I needed and why. On one of my repeated calls, I did finally manage to get the assistant manager on the phone; he promised to send me the required information immediately. I finally received the invoice a week later after an additional two voicemails; unfortunately, it indicated that the entire cost for the block of 8 rooms for four nights was approximately $1,500. I immediately replied to the email asking for the correct amount (a total that exceeded 5,000). I never received a reply to this email.

I called the hotel five days before the group checked in so as to have each individual's name on the reservation so that they could check in easily. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the very polite front desk person, painstakingly giving each name, receiving confirmation numbers for each guest, and going over the payment plan in detail. Upon checking into the hotel, none of the guests were able to use the confirmation numbers I provided them, nor were any of the rooms in their name. Upon checking out, it was established that half of the rooms were charged to each individual's credit card rather than taken from either the corporate card I used to pre-pay the rooms with, or the large check I brought with me. Upon trying to remedy this, I spent another 20 minutes with a very polite and helpful front desk clerk, only to find that not only were the majority of the rooms charged to individual cards, but that they couldn't even find one of the reservations.

Service: Upon checking in, one guest discovered that the couch in his room had been vomited on by the previous guest. When he went to the front desk, he was told that there had been a sports event the previous night, and that someone would eventually be up to clean the couch. Upon arriving back at his room the next night, he found that "cleaning up" apparently meant reversing the couch cushion. He was never offered an alternate room, nor was the mess ever taken care of properly. Three of the guests did not receive maid service for three of the four days. They did not have "do not disturb" signs on their doors, and when they specifically requested service, it was not delivered.
*****************************
I received a standard form response to this, which didn't address any of my actual complaints but promised to have the specific hotel contact me within 48 hours to further discuss this matter. Needless to say, I've not hear back from them.

It's a shame since the actual property is pretty nice. However, in all of my frequent practice of booking hotel rooms, I've never quite had an experience like this one.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side

Reviewed February 6, 2011

I am going to start with the positive. The staff of the hotel is great! Very helpful! The rooms are clean, and resonably confortable. The bed is a little to firm for my taste. They do have free wifi as well which is very nice.

Now not the hotels fault but figured I would give people a heads up. The trains track are a block from the hotel. All hours of the night a train goes by with the wistle blaring. It makes for a very restless night.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Christie1076
Reviewed January 6, 2011

This hotel is located just past the 10th street bridge south of the river. It's very convenient to both downtown Pittsburgh and to the South Side areas. It's a short block to Carson St., which has lots and lots of very nice bars and restaurants. The hotel itself is pretty nice. My room was not very up to date, but it was fairly clean, comfortable, and very large with an extra couch and table, as well as a fridge and microwave. The staff was very nice. There is free internet, but it is wired. There is a free shuttle, but I did not use it. Although the location is great, one disadvantage is that, being next to a busy bridge, it can get pretty loud around the morning rush. There is parking at $14 a night.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Go to Pittsuburgh on a regular basis, love going to the bars in South Side so we thought we would try this hotel out. Our main purpose for going was to go to a Penguins game. When we arrived we were greeted by the cutest "grandpa" conciege. We then parked the secure parking lot, you need a key card to get in. We then went to our room that turned out to be absolutely huge, far too much room for two people. We had 2 queen beds, a sitting area, a "kitchen table & Chairs" and a fridge and microwave. Snooped around the rest of the hotel. The gym was quaint, and the pool and hit tub were of decent size.

The lobby offered coffee 24/7 as well as the most fabulous iced tea. We were informed when we went to ask for a cab that the shuttle runs to and from the game free of charge...BONUS!! And to call and it would pick you up in the same place it dropped you off. Very nice! This hotel is only 2 blocks from South Side which is amazing so once again no cab fares.

It offered continental breakfast but we missed it. Free paper in the morning. Free internet. Free coffee. This list for this hotel is endless. For us the location was key and hit the mark!

Would definately reccomend!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2010

This was a nice hotel. The room was much bigger than what I expected.

We stayed here for a long weekend, the Friday and Sunday nights were relatively quiet but the Saturday night was very noisy. There were several bachelourette parties on our floor alone, complete with decorations all over the hallway. The elevators were filled with very loud guests in the evening. Very annoying.

The breakfast area was OK but very noisy and crowded on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Many guests came down in their PJs – I hate that but there is not much the hotel can do about it.

At one point there was a restaurant in the hotel. They really need to take the signs down in the lobby and hallways directing guests to it. I wasted a couple of minutes walking around looking for it.

The location was great for us although we did get lost a couple of times trying to find it – GPS signals are low in that area.

The free shuttle service was great – they even picked us up after a game from PNC park. It is within walking distance to many restaurants although I found the area a little sketchy at night.

Overall, I was satisfied with this hotel. We will stay here again; hopefully it will be quieter next time.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vay_KayK8e
Reviewed November 4, 2010

1st we get into the room and find a 40oz bottle of beer left in the fridge. My daughter thought it was champagne. Then the toilet seat had fecal matter all over it, all the front desk could do is apologize. We asked for another mattress pad because the pad on the sofa sleeper was filthy. They never brought one up. The shuttle service is horrible. Depending on the driver is where you get dropped off at and picked up. We were told we couldn't be dropped off at pointe park so we got dropped off at liberty travel which is a much longer walk. On the way back we were told we should be at pointe park. Excuse me we were told you can't pickup and drop off there. Well it depends on who is driving. Are you serious. It was one of the worst stays I experienced in a very long time. I will be going back to Pittsburgh soon and I will be seeking out other options

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hypedog1
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We visited with three generations of our family. The location was convenient. We used the free shuttle to visit some museums, the driver was great.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
HIEXSSMGR, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

We are glad we were able to host three generations of family members while in Pittsburgh ! Happy to of transported you all in the hotels shuttle. Thanks for the kind words regarding the drivers !