“Great location, Good Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #49 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Xenia, Ohio
“Great location, Good Hotel”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We visited with three generations of our family. The location was convenient. We used the free shuttle to visit some museums, the driver was great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HIEXSSMGR, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
We are glad we were able to host three generations of family members while in Pittsburgh ! Happy to of transported you all in the hotels shuttle. Thanks for the kind words regarding the drivers !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I'm originally from Pittsburgh, but went to visit and wanted to stay somewhere in town so we didn't have to drive when we went out. The hotel is conveniently located to many restaurants and bars and did have a free shuttle to the Rivers Casino(which we did not see or use). The check- in process was quick and the clerk was very personable-we booked our room on Priceline and got a smoking and she offered to check for a non-smoking for us. Our room was a double queen and it was average. The drain in the tub was clogged and we had to have someone come and fix it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My initial opinion of this hotel was impressive upon arrival as it is beautiful, but when I went to check in and they stated that my trip was noted as having not been paid for (there is a glitch in their online booking/payment feature online...DO NOT use it) I was taken aback as I indeed submitted payment in full online two months prior. They stated that although additional fees normally applied, they would waive the fees because of the circumstances. I paid $404 for a two-night stay.

Long story short: The tub continuously backed up with water, the fan did not function in the bathroom, the air conditioning did not cool the room properly (we sweated throughout the night), the mini fridge did not cool our food/drinks, and the whirlpool tub had a continuous brown ring around it. We will not return nor will we recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HumbleDiva316
Perkasie, PA
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We just returned from a two-night stay at this HI Express. This is now the second time we have stayed here and already have our reservations made for October when we return for parents weekend for Duquesne.

I cannot say enough about this hotel, the staff, rooms, breakfast and location are all excellent. Our first trip to this hotel we had our teenagers with us and did not experience any problems.

We had a king suite this time, it was very large and had a working mini fridge and microwave.

This is the perfect location if you are visiting Duquesne or the Southside!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I was in Pittsburgh on business for three months and to celebrate my last night my friends and I decided to get a hotel room in SouthSide so we could go out and not have to worry about driving. I would have rather taken the $20 cab ride back to my friends place. The room looked like a frat house. There were cigarette burn holes all over the curtains and the towels in the bathroom were folded nicely, but clearly dirty. After getting over the initial shock, my friends and I headed out for the night. Upon returning to the hotel I realized that the front desk had given out SIX extra room keys to people who just walked up to the front desk and said the room number. They never asked my permission, or tried to verify that these people were in fact with me, just handed them out like candy. When I confronted the man at the front desk, the ignorant security guard chimed in and treated me like one of the drunken fools passed out in the lobby. He barked at me that he had been there since 9pm and no keys to my room were given out, blatant lie. The man behind the desk admitted to giving out two, another lie and after making it clear that no more room keys were to be handed out we made our way back to the room.

The night was fairly quiet until 7am the next morning. There was a woman banging on the door across the hall screaming obscenities and trying to peer under the door. Apparently her boyfriend had left her out the night before and brought one of her friends back instead... This went on for about 30 minutes and the hotel staff did nothing about it. At that point I was ready to get out of there anyways! This place is a sad excuse for a hotel and could only be run by a slum lord.

Also, the place that looks like a restaurant next door is not one. When I pulled in there were people sitting at tables outside so I asked what kind of food they had. The lady at the front desk said it closed and they let their employees take breaks out there so it looks like the place is still open. Classy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SteelersGal85
Colorado
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Upon check-in, my colleague in I were told that they had two rooms left and we were asked which one of us was the sounder sleeper as one of the rooms was a little noisy. “It’s next to the ice maker” the clerk said.

Here’s where things start to go south on the south-side. What does a hotel sell? A good night sleep right? It’s like a restaurant sells good food. If you walked into a restaurant and the hostess said, “the food here really isn’t good.” Would you stay? I think not. So, they actually know that room 117 guarantees their customer a restless night, they say they have no other options available besides smoking rooms (yuck) and we get to pay a rate of $169 a night for this experience.

I put the key in the door for room 117; ground-floor room, no ice-maker in sight. I’m assuming it’s my colleague that got screwed with the noisy room, but as soon as I turn off the light and lay down in bed (tucked inside my dream sack) I realize that it’s me that got screwed after all. The outer wall is as thin as paper. The door in from the parking lot is like a thunderbolt every time it’s opened. When I was last woken it was 12:45am and now it’s 4:06am and there is clearly a woman in high heels pacing the lobby above me. That very friendly lady gave me the key to a fifth-floor room and apologized for the noise, but unfortunately, my sleepless night cannot be refunded.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
HIEXSSMGR, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
Thank You for your comments regarding romm 117 at the Holiday Inn Express South Side. The room is on the ground floor and close to the elevator landing. We do try to let guests know of the possible noise near the room which is why our Front Desk explained this at check in. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to contiuned service on the South Side of Pittsburgh.
Churchville, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with my 19yo and 21yo sons. The location is not too far from the Station Square area or the Carson St. night life in the opposite direction. We walked to both locations, but it is a distance, and we felt safe in the area. We hear trains near our home, so the trains never bothered us.They didn't seem frequent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. In and out parking is added to the bill. The lot is secure and available only to guests. We used the complimentary shuttle a few times. We waited over 30 mins for pickup only once and the driver apologized profusely for the delay. Unfortunately, our plans were altered by heavy rain on the night we had tickets for the Pirates game and our route on the Gateway Clipper was changed because President Obama was visiting. We also enjoyed the Duquense Incline, the Cathedral of Learning,the Heinz museum, the Strip district and the Southside Works shopping district.

• Stayed June 2010