“2nd visit - just as good as the first!!!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #54 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We just returned from a two-night stay at this HI Express. This is now the second time we have stayed here and already have our reservations made for October when we return for parents weekend for Duquesne.

I cannot say enough about this hotel, the staff, rooms, breakfast and location are all excellent. Our first trip to this hotel we had our teenagers with us and did not experience any problems.

We had a king suite this time, it was very large and had a working mini fridge and microwave.

This is the perfect location if you are visiting Duquesne or the Southside!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side

Reviewed August 16, 2010

I was in Pittsburgh on business for three months and to celebrate my last night my friends and I decided to get a hotel room in SouthSide so we could go out and not have to worry about driving. I would have rather taken the $20 cab ride back to my friends place. The room looked like a frat house. There were cigarette burn holes all over the curtains and the towels in the bathroom were folded nicely, but clearly dirty. After getting over the initial shock, my friends and I headed out for the night. Upon returning to the hotel I realized that the front desk had given out SIX extra room keys to people who just walked up to the front desk and said the room number. They never asked my permission, or tried to verify that these people were in fact with me, just handed them out like candy. When I confronted the man at the front desk, the ignorant security guard chimed in and treated me like one of the drunken fools passed out in the lobby. He barked at me that he had been there since 9pm and no keys to my room were given out, blatant lie. The man behind the desk admitted to giving out two, another lie and after making it clear that no more room keys were to be handed out we made our way back to the room.

The night was fairly quiet until 7am the next morning. There was a woman banging on the door across the hall screaming obscenities and trying to peer under the door. Apparently her boyfriend had left her out the night before and brought one of her friends back instead... This went on for about 30 minutes and the hotel staff did nothing about it. At that point I was ready to get out of there anyways! This place is a sad excuse for a hotel and could only be run by a slum lord.

Also, the place that looks like a restaurant next door is not one. When I pulled in there were people sitting at tables outside so I asked what kind of food they had. The lady at the front desk said it closed and they let their employees take breaks out there so it looks like the place is still open. Classy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank SteelersGal85
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Upon check-in, my colleague in I were told that they had two rooms left and we were asked which one of us was the sounder sleeper as one of the rooms was a little noisy. “It’s next to the ice maker” the clerk said.

Here’s where things start to go south on the south-side. What does a hotel sell? A good night sleep right? It’s like a restaurant sells good food. If you walked into a restaurant and the hostess said, “the food here really isn’t good.” Would you stay? I think not. So, they actually know that room 117 guarantees their customer a restless night, they say they have no other options available besides smoking rooms (yuck) and we get to pay a rate of $169 a night for this experience.

I put the key in the door for room 117; ground-floor room, no ice-maker in sight. I’m assuming it’s my colleague that got screwed with the noisy room, but as soon as I turn off the light and lay down in bed (tucked inside my dream sack) I realize that it’s me that got screwed after all. The outer wall is as thin as paper. The door in from the parking lot is like a thunderbolt every time it’s opened. When I was last woken it was 12:45am and now it’s 4:06am and there is clearly a woman in high heels pacing the lobby above me. That very friendly lady gave me the key to a fifth-floor room and apologized for the noise, but unfortunately, my sleepless night cannot be refunded.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
HIEXSSMGR, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Thank You for your comments regarding romm 117 at the Holiday Inn Express South Side. The room is on the ground floor and close to the elevator landing. We do try to let guests know of the possible noise near the room which is why our Front Desk explained this at check in. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to contiuned service on the South Side of Pittsburgh.

Reviewed June 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with my 19yo and 21yo sons. The location is not too far from the Station Square area or the Carson St. night life in the opposite direction. We walked to both locations, but it is a distance, and we felt safe in the area. We hear trains near our home, so the trains never bothered us.They didn't seem frequent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. In and out parking is added to the bill. The lot is secure and available only to guests. We used the complimentary shuttle a few times. We waited over 30 mins for pickup only once and the driver apologized profusely for the delay. Unfortunately, our plans were altered by heavy rain on the night we had tickets for the Pirates game and our route on the Gateway Clipper was changed because President Obama was visiting. We also enjoyed the Duquense Incline, the Cathedral of Learning,the Heinz museum, the Strip district and the Southside Works shopping district.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We spent a long weekend here to see a Pirates / Braves game and the location is excellent especially when teamed up with the complimentary shuttle service. The room was plenty large with suite conveniences which was a nice bonus but it looked as if it hadn't been dusted in a week or more. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of offerings in a nice sunny room. We will definitely return to Pittsburgh and this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side for 2 nights in May 2010.

Pros:

The rooms. Based on seeing two rooms within the property (more on that later), you can expect the room to look exactly like the ones pictured on this and other sites. The rooms are actually quite spacious and have a working mini-fridge and sink. Bed was reasonably comfortable.

The advertised free continental breakfast was actually decent. The mini-cinnamon buns were probably the best part -- but you get reasonable choices (cereal [hot and cold], breads [bagels, toast, and biscuits], 1 type of egg per morning, 1 type of meat per morning [like sausage or bacon], various beverages including juice, milk, and coffee. You serve yourself like at a buffet.

Got the room through hotwire for $109 + tax per night which was not stellar but better than the advertised $189 + tax per night. Price was reasonable for the size/quality of the suite.

The pool! - Great for the kids, it was a bit smaller than I expected but fine for us. Most important, it was clean and towels were provided deck side.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. No complaints in terms of getting any assistance (directions/etc..). + On the first night, I asked where I could go to buy milk. A staff member asked how much I was looking for. When I told him just enough for my son, he told me to wait a second and went into the breakfast area (that was closed) and grabbed me a complimentary 250ml carton. A small gesture but VERY appreciated. ++ Also got moved to a non-smoking room (see Con below) on the 2nd night which the hotel certainly did not have to do. Greatly appreciated.

Free internet service is great! I used wired and had very little trouble getting access.

Cons:

Got stuck with a smoking room. Can't exactly blame this on the hotel as I booked through hotwire. Am not penalizing the hotel here, just want to point out that you may not get a non-smoking room. The reason I saw 2 rooms is that they moved us to a non-smoking room on the 2nd night.

Location. Although I think it is a matter of the type of traveller you are. There is an extensive bar scene on the south side and for that reason, the location was quite popular with many of the guests who were young and single. For families, I'd be inclined to say that it is not the best spot to be. Personally, I would not have felt safe walking around the neighbourhood (the hotel is surrounded by a "bath house", a salvation army rehab centre and a "behavioural health" facility). Again probably not an issue for many travellers but a little disconcerting when you arrive with a family.

While the front desk staff is great -- there was a let down. After we booked through hotwire, I called the hotel and asked if they could switch me to a non-smoking room. The staff obliged but when I got there, I was told they were full and there was nothing they could do. Again, mostly my fault since I had booked through HW, but was disappointed when I thought they had made the arrangements. Again, the hotel switched me the 2nd night when they weren't obliged to move us at all.

Advice:
We did the city tour with Just Ducky Tours. A little on the pricey side but fun nonetheless. And just as other reviewers have said, my son was allowed to drive the boat when we were on the water. It completely made his day. http://www.justduckytours.com/

For food: go to McCormick & Schmick's to eat off the happy hour menu. 1/2 pound Cheeseburger & fries is $2.95. There are other menu options that range from $1.95 - $4.95. Note: This menu is only offered at special times (monday - friday [3:30 -6:30]) or on gameday) and you must eat in the bar section of the restaurant. There is usually a drink requirement. Believe me, You will thank me for this. http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/pittsburgh-pennsylvania/pittsburgh-pennsylvania/FifthAve/menus.aspx

The other option is Morton's of Chicago for the bar bites menu from 5-6:30 and 9 - close
http://www.mortons.com/pittsburgh/bar/ -- get the 3 prime cheeseburgers!

As far as the shuttle service offered by the hotel -- Did not use it for a few reasons. But primarily b/c it operates on a first called/first served basis (and there is only 1 shuttle bus for the entire hotel). Didn't really want to risk being stuck out somewhere waiting for it to come get us. You also had to call the hotel to arrange for pickup and dropoff. Wondered if we'd actually get a seat if going to PNC park with everyone else from the hotel.

Primanti Brothers is overrated but a Pittsburgh tradition. I left feeling a bit disappointed.

Overall, I was satisfied with Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ][
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed our time in Pittsburgh. Short walk across the 10th street bridge to Duquesne University. Full Breakast included. Shuttle to local attractions including PNC Park. Would stay at again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business