Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$229
$195
$142
$159
$143
  • Pool
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$174
$139
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$204
$183
  • Pool
Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$107
Hampton.com
$112
$108
Doubletree.com
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$163
$142
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscarson streethi expressfree shuttlefront deskstation squareshuttle servicewithin milesbars and restaurantsfree breakfastbreakfast roomlight sleeperstay at this hotel againmile radiuspirates gamekey cardacross the rivernon smoking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2006

I stayed at the HI Express Southside last in 2005 during November for a full week.

Having never travelled by myself and travelling far from home I was a little worried about the location. The fact is, Pittsburgh is beautiful, entertaining, and the people on average are extremely friendly and willing to help you if need be.

The front staff was very friendly. My flight was in early and I got to the hotel much earlier than what the scheduled check-in time was. I felt guilty about it but asked if they had a room ready, the front desk woman said at this point they were all either yet to be checked out or cleaned. She then immediately decided to phone up to some rooms to catch a cleaning person to check on the status of some of the rooms and graciously placed me in a rather spacious room with a great view. If you get a room on the "back"/west side of the hotel you will get a great view of the golden triangle and the river.

I never had a vehicle during my stay but the parking lot seemed to be rather average, not really small or extremely large, just what it needed to be.

It is also in a great location. Station Square is a short drive as is Mellon Arena and the rest of down town. The always energetic Carson Street was half a city block south of the hotel as well. There is a free shuttle that is able to take you and pick you up from downtown and station square and carson street. They also have a planned shuttle for fans to go to Mellon Arena, Heinz Field and PNC Park. The shuttle does not cross the bridge over to PNC/Heinz but leaves you at the bridge to walk across. Which really, is a great thing in itself. Its a short, brisk walk across the bridge and to the field's anyways so is of no real nusance.

The complimentary breakfast was average but everything you would really want. Choices of several cereals and the like. I was impressed. Wake up calls we always right on time. There is a business centre in the lobby that with a computer and free internet service.

There was always free coffee - or sometimes hot chocolate - for me when I was going out of in. There is also a free newspaper every morning waiting outside your door in the morning. Cleaning staff are always moving around, and were always ready to move in and clean the room every day when I would step out. They always cleaned everything they were suppose to, and nothing that they werent.

They didn't take the entire tip I left them; but I assume they didnt have much use for my loonie.... The shuttle sometimes ran a bit behind depending on who had to go where or people having to be picked up. One of the men was extremely freindly and grandpa-ish. The other was a bit more pessimistic but may just be looked at as less hospitable due to the one older mans generosity and friendliness.

Downtown/Mellon Arena, Carson Street, Station Square/The Inclines, PNC Park/Heinz Field are all within very good distance of the hotel.

Room was something I actually did phone home about. Service was great. Staff were exceptional. The trip was amazing. People/Fans were awesome, hiking/jogging was scenic, nightlife (especially during a triple-header weekend: Steelers, Panthers Football, and Penguins) was awesome as well.

Primanti's on Carson street is also only about a 6 block walk from the Hotel and if you are going to Pittsburgh you already now, is a must stop eatery.

The art scene was really impressive as well. I cant think of anything I really disliked during my stay there. Security was always on hand. Always felt very safe.

It's also a lot less expensive than what you will find down-town as well. So I think this is a hotel you must look at when booking a hotel in Pittsburgh for a night, a week, or a weekend.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
8  Thank A_P_Duke
Reviewed October 10, 2006

This hotel was very nice - quite new and in a good location for pubs, restaurants etc. The only downside is that it is situated close to a train track and the trains beep through the night because of the lack of level crossings. You kind of get used to the noise though.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2006

After reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked my reservation for a weekend stay at this hotel. Overall, the hotel was average to good (I'd give it a C+ if I were a teacher), but there were several unusual negatives that put me and my other two guests (15 year old boys) off pretty seriously. First, the tiled floor was extremely sticky when we checked in. A comment to the desk personnel resolved the problem the next day, but then I discoverd an weirder problem--mystery unclaimed underpants on the floor!

I don't know if these were considered a gift or an oversight by the cleaning crew, but a pair of "tighty whities" was discovered underneath the desk in our room on our second day. (They may have been there on the first night, but we were so tired, we didn't notice.) They did not belong to either one of the guys, and because they were crumbled in a ball on the floor, I suspect they were used. Blech. It even grossed out my son and his buddy.

My final complaint came as a result of scheduled shuttle service. The van was supposed to depart on the hour, each hour, so we raced downstairs to catch it--only to be told to wait until the driver finished his lunchbreak; 15 minutes later, the driver got in the van and took off with another staff member without even coming in to get us or to announce he was leaving. Fortunately, I jumped up and told the front desk clerk that the van was taking off without us, so she called him back. Pretty rude.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank OnTheRoadEditor
Reviewed July 25, 2006

During the weekend of July 22, 2006 my husband, infant son and I, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. My previous impressions of Holiday Inn Express hotels was definitely shattered. We were pleasantly surprised by the large size of the hotel room; the hotel decor; the hotel's wireless internet; the variety of food offered during the free breakfast; and the friendliness of the hotel staff. We have stayed at a lot of hotels around the country, and we can definitely say that this was one of the best in terms of bang for the buck and location. Talk about location - we were within walking distance and short drives (less than 1 mile) of major Pittsburgh attractions. An example of the quality of the hotel staff is that one evening there was a party held in one of the hotel banquet rooms. The number of guests at the party made the Holiday Inn Express parking lot full so that it was impossible to find a parking spot. When this matter was brought to the attention of the hotel staff, they immediately sent someone outside to help hotel guests find alternative close, free, safe and adequate parking. This is just one example of the great quality of service and professionalism of the hotel staff. We will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh Southside if we ever find ourselves in the Pittsburgh area again.

Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank fishfry
Reviewed April 21, 2006

This hotel was a great little gem! We traveled w/ two little children, and we were pleased there were several other families there too--not just business travelers. The hotel's location made me hesitate a bit since it is off the beaten path and it didn't appear there were prime tourist sites nearby, but in reality I would highly recommend its location. It is a short drive to Station Square & the Inclnes, a walk to Carson street's many shops and restaurants/bars, and a very reasonable drive to the many things we did in Pittsburgh. The hotel also has nice views of the city and is in a quiet area.
The parking is a nice sized, secure lot and worth the $9.
The hotel's amenities are nice, and I will echo another writer's comments about the room appearing huge with the arch way adding to the effect and apparent size of the room. No problems at all w/ two blow up mattresses on the floor!

The only mediocre spot was breakfast. In this day of competitive hotel offerings, the cold-cereal/danish/toaster waffle breakfast is not going to draw people here. Holiday Inn seemed to advertise some sort of "world's greatest" cinnamon bun. They weren't!

All in all, a very pleasant & well maintained hotel, nice staff, and great location.

• Stayed: April 2006