“Friendly staff, nice rooms, noisy trains”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #54 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 10, 2006

This hotel was very nice - quite new and in a good location for pubs, restaurants etc. The only downside is that it is situated close to a train track and the trains beep through the night because of the lack of level crossings. You kind of get used to the noise though.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side

Reviewed August 27, 2006

After reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked my reservation for a weekend stay at this hotel. Overall, the hotel was average to good (I'd give it a C+ if I were a teacher), but there were several unusual negatives that put me and my other two guests (15 year old boys) off pretty seriously. First, the tiled floor was extremely sticky when we checked in. A comment to the desk personnel resolved the problem the next day, but then I discoverd an weirder problem--mystery unclaimed underpants on the floor!

I don't know if these were considered a gift or an oversight by the cleaning crew, but a pair of "tighty whities" was discovered underneath the desk in our room on our second day. (They may have been there on the first night, but we were so tired, we didn't notice.) They did not belong to either one of the guys, and because they were crumbled in a ball on the floor, I suspect they were used. Blech. It even grossed out my son and his buddy.

My final complaint came as a result of scheduled shuttle service. The van was supposed to depart on the hour, each hour, so we raced downstairs to catch it--only to be told to wait until the driver finished his lunchbreak; 15 minutes later, the driver got in the van and took off with another staff member without even coming in to get us or to announce he was leaving. Fortunately, I jumped up and told the front desk clerk that the van was taking off without us, so she called him back. Pretty rude.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank OnTheRoadEditor
Reviewed July 25, 2006

During the weekend of July 22, 2006 my husband, infant son and I, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. My previous impressions of Holiday Inn Express hotels was definitely shattered. We were pleasantly surprised by the large size of the hotel room; the hotel decor; the hotel's wireless internet; the variety of food offered during the free breakfast; and the friendliness of the hotel staff. We have stayed at a lot of hotels around the country, and we can definitely say that this was one of the best in terms of bang for the buck and location. Talk about location - we were within walking distance and short drives (less than 1 mile) of major Pittsburgh attractions. An example of the quality of the hotel staff is that one evening there was a party held in one of the hotel banquet rooms. The number of guests at the party made the Holiday Inn Express parking lot full so that it was impossible to find a parking spot. When this matter was brought to the attention of the hotel staff, they immediately sent someone outside to help hotel guests find alternative close, free, safe and adequate parking. This is just one example of the great quality of service and professionalism of the hotel staff. We will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh Southside if we ever find ourselves in the Pittsburgh area again.

Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank fishfry
Reviewed April 21, 2006

This hotel was a great little gem! We traveled w/ two little children, and we were pleased there were several other families there too--not just business travelers. The hotel's location made me hesitate a bit since it is off the beaten path and it didn't appear there were prime tourist sites nearby, but in reality I would highly recommend its location. It is a short drive to Station Square & the Inclnes, a walk to Carson street's many shops and restaurants/bars, and a very reasonable drive to the many things we did in Pittsburgh. The hotel also has nice views of the city and is in a quiet area.
The parking is a nice sized, secure lot and worth the $9.
The hotel's amenities are nice, and I will echo another writer's comments about the room appearing huge with the arch way adding to the effect and apparent size of the room. No problems at all w/ two blow up mattresses on the floor!

The only mediocre spot was breakfast. In this day of competitive hotel offerings, the cold-cereal/danish/toaster waffle breakfast is not going to draw people here. Holiday Inn seemed to advertise some sort of "world's greatest" cinnamon bun. They weren't!

All in all, a very pleasant & well maintained hotel, nice staff, and great location.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank relambjr
Reviewed March 15, 2006

This is a really nice Holiday Inn, one that sets the bar for me for other hotels in its class. The building is new, the rooms are in great condition, it has a pool, and is just a really nice property.

The location is great -- Carson Street, with its many bars and restaurants, is right around the corner, and the city awaits across the river. There's even a mediocre Italian restaurant on the premises, if you're lazy, and a dozen places that'll deliver subs and pizzas to you.

The building is new, always a plus. The rooms are decent sized. Be aware that there's road noise on the road side, and train noise wherever. If you're a light sleeper, this might not be the place for you. There's even jacuzzi rooms, which I stayed at once. The jacuzzi was in the room so you could be decadent and soak while watching TV and doing nothing of redeeming value, it was great.

The staff is okay. Sometimes the front staff is helpful, sometimes not, but they're never rude. I'm a bit baffled as to why they took about 20 stays to remember me, but hey. And the shuttle driver in the morning, Mr. Chip, is just a really nice and laid-back guy.

As far as amenities, they have an indoor pool which I didn't use, and a very small exercise room. I think there were like 2 treadmills and a bike, nothing for weight lifting of any sort. Oh, and a TV. The breakfast is standard HI Express breakfast, but the room is large and open. I think there's free wireless in the lobby. The rooms have wired Internet, though. Parking is expensive, be warned, it's like $8 or maybe even $12 a night, I don't know, I always take a cab. Also be warned that it can be hard finding a cab around Southside, not sure why, I guess they cruise the city more or something.

All in all, though, this is my favorite HI Express hotel, and I recommend it without reservation for anyone going to the city.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank rabidstoat
Reviewed January 29, 2006

We just got back from our 6th stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Southside. I have never had any problems at all with this hotel. Everything is always super clean, the staff are very courteous and helpful, and the rooms are always great.

Until this weekend, we had stayed in every room type except the King Suite with Jacuzzi tub. Since it was our anniversary, we decided to upgrade. We booked online and got a great rate $153 for a saturday stay. Made the 4 hour drive to Pittsburgh and looked around South Side for a while. Checked in at 3 pm and went up to our beautiful 6th floor room. This room was ahhh-mazing. The king size bed was so comfortable. The jacuzzi tub was spotlessly clean. The bathroom had huge comfy towels. We were in heaven.

Took a nap and a dip in the jacuzzi. Decided to get some dinner. Asked the front desk for a recommendation. They suggested a seafood restaurant in the new South Side works area. Unfortunately, it had a 2 1/2 wait. Found another restaurant down in the Station Square mall. Great food, great band.

Sadly, we were only staying one night. So, Sunday, we had to get up and leave our beautiful room. Had breakfast downstairs in the lunch room. The cinnamon rolls are so great. Fresh fruits, yogurt, cereal, hot coffee, lots of teas, bread and french toast. MMMM.

We'll definitely be back again. And we'll definitely spring for the jacuzzi suite.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank betting_im_not
A TripAdvisor Member
Union, NJ
Reviewed January 11, 2006

The room itself was huge. The room I got had 2 queen sized beds and a nice archway with columns separating the sleeping area from the sitting / breakfast area. There was also a little kitchenette and the bathroom was nice.

If your intent is to be on the south side, then this hotel is in a great location. It is right around the corner from a dance club for the college types called halo cafe and a great restaurant is nearby called bruschettas.

The service was great. There is a huge parking lot that will keep your car safe. There is an indoor swimming pool.

• Stayed: January 2006