“Very pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #55 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed on a Friday night while traveling through the area. Upon arrival we learned we were in a smoking King room. The desk manager immediately offered to upgrade us to a non-smoking King jacuzzi room at no charge. The room was large and comfortable.
The entire hotel seemed very clean. complimentary breakfast was varied and better than expected. The staff was helpful and attentive. Secured parking was convenient and easy to use. It was an excellent value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2011

So I wasn't sure where this hotel was located and didn't expect a lot from an HI express, but it was literally spotless. The staff was so friendly and there was fenced parking. It is right down the road from a lot of restaraunts/bars and close to all of pittsburgh. Breakfast was amazing and they even upgraded me to a jacuzzi room for free. In fact every time I go to the Steel City I try to get this hotel again, but it is usually booked because it is so nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Oh_Henry_11
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I travel often for my job and I found this hotel to be clean and modern. The hotel is in a great location (10th street on Pittsburgh’s South Side) and is located near plenty of restaurants, bars, and entertainment. The price for this hotel is a little bit more than what I typically would see relative to the value and I strongly recommend looking into “lowering” the price through services like Priceline (which I did for my one night’s stay). I do have to state that I was awaken several times by trains that run close to the hotel but I find this to be true of all of the hotel’s I have stayed at on the South Side. The running trails down by the river are OK but I admit that I liked the trails up by the Spring Hill Suites hotel much better. Parking is expensive at $14/day but that seems to be the norm for hotels over on the South Side.

Pros: located in the middle of everything. Cons: Value vs. Price is a little out of whack, car parking fees

Room Tip: Ask if any rooms are away from the train tracks!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank NY3BStra
Reviewed September 12, 2011

After reading some troubling reviews, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was clean, reasonably quiet and the free shuttle service was great. The only drawback was the shuttle would not go into town or back from town from about 4:30 until 6:30 due to "rush hour" even on weekends.

Room Tip: Top floors are much quieter
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ourphoebe
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for a night with my family while visiting the USA this past month. The hotels' lobby was very clean and inviting. The front desk had a bit of an attitude when we asked them of how to get to the local attractions. The hotel does feature a shuttle to local attractions. This was a great service! The rooms were spacious and we had no probnlems with cleanlieness. Overall I would stay here, but would consider other hotels and would recommend you to do the same!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TotalRnR
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The hotel with its location and helpful staff makes the rates for rooms worth it. It is located near plenty of bars, restaurants and entertainment however, the area need more for the over 40 traveler. Just as the hotel advertises, it is on the, “Bourbon Street of the South Side.” The facilities are quaint and in need of an update, however the staff and breakfast facilities make up for the décor. Over the past six months I have notice a change in the hotel staff and overall cleanliness of the common areas. The staff is doing a great job of changing a deteriorating lobby and common areas into a place you would want to stay. The rooms need upgrading, i.e. Flat screen monitors, and updated furniture. The current furniture reminds me of a college dormitory. There is only one shuttle so getting around using their courtesy Van can take a few minutes longer than hotels having two vehicles. The shuttle drivers are very friendly and helpful, Mr. Chip and Dave the Man, can make the wait well worth. I would like to thank the management for making these changes and making the hotel a place I can continue visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the odd side of the building, wonderful view especially from rooms 601.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We booked this hotel after we couldn't find anything closer to the University and we were pleasantly surprised. We normally stay at the Wyndham and I expected a generic room and we were impressed with the view and the size of the room. The room was very clean and it was only a 15 minute ride to the University with traffic. Lots of restaurants and a free shuttle within 3 miles. 14 dollars to park the car and we always found parking available (although we do have handicapped so I don't know about regular parking spaces). As people have noted, there is a train that is loud and it did wake me up about 3 times during the night but I was able to go right back to sleep. Another reason we were so surprised about this hotel is because we had a rough start with reservations. When I called 2 months after my husband called with a credit card number on the phone, we noticed they did not e-mail us a confirmation so when we called the hotel, they said we cancelled the reservation. We were very skeptical because of this initial issue but it all worked out well. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family