“Our wedding night ruined:(”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 7, 2006

My new husband & I were so excited to stay at the Courtyard Marriott Shadyside on our wedding night due to its location to our wedding & the jacuzzi room we had booked...I had called twice to confirm & tell them it was our wedding night & we would not be able to checkin until midnight...both times they seemed friendly & said that they made a note on the reservation. So when we checked in to a normal small, unclean suite we were devasted... so we immediately went back to the front desk to get the keys to our jacuzzi room. Well when we went to get the keys the very unfriendly front desk man said that they gave our room away....i was absolutely shocked...how could they do that especially if they knew it was our wedding night!!! The man barely apologized & told us we could speak to a manager in the morning because there were no managers on duty at night:( He wasn't going to call any other hotel or do anything until I started crying...how horrible is that!! Do not stay here due to incredibly unfriendly staff, unclean rooms from what we saw, high parking rates, giving away of rooms!!!

Stayed: September 2006
7  Thank supershim425

Reviewed May 21, 2006

This was the third hotel in our week stay in the Northeast for family visiting. This hotel has a good location, great shuttle service, expensive parking, smallish rooms, good housekeeping, somewhat noisy because of proximity to hospital, nicely landscaped, good staff.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Traveldog2011
Reviewed March 2, 2006

The Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside is an outstanding hotel. I stayed here while on business at the University of Pittsburgh. The location was the best aspect of the hotel for me; I was able to walk to my interview, and subsequently walk around such areas as Squirrel Hill and Shadyside to get an idea of apartments (I may be relocating to Pittsburgh). The hotel runs a shuttle around Shadyside and Oakland, though I did not use it.

The room was exceptionally nice. The king bed seemed new and was very comfortable, as was the chair and the sofa. I liked the free high speed internet and room came with a refrigerator, which I hadn't expected. I admit it took me a few minutes to figure out the lights in the room--there were quite a few switches and it wasn't clear what did what. However, it was very nice to be able to turn on the light in the hall outside the bathroom from the bed! It made getting up the next morning much easier. There were also lights that could be dimmed to your preference above the bed. Very nice! The room was quite spacious, and if you could easily fit four people into the room by using the sofa bed.

The only downside to all Courtyards in my opinion is the overpriced breakfast buffet. I was in a hurry the morning of checkout and didn't have time to seek breakfast elsewhere, so I paid 11 dollars for a very average breakfast. If you eat a lot, it's great, but even if you are a moderate eater, it's a total ripoff. I need to learn a lesson and simply stay away.

The hotel does require valet parking, unless you park on the street and feed meters. I found the valet parking kind of ridiculous--I would have preferred a system of self parking you could pay for to keep prices down. They simply parked the car in the lot right in front of the building, and it was frustrating to pay 18 bucks to watch them drive your car no more than 20 feet away. However, parking is at a premium in the area so they can get away with this.

I didn't use them, but there seemed to be a nice pool and an exercise room.

Other than the breakfast and the parking issue, I heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank skyeport
Reviewed September 12, 2005

The Courtyard Shadyside is a very nice hotel for business travelers and those visiting Shadyside hospital. It is very clean with exceptional service, a nice restaurant, wonderfully comfortable rooms and a Starbucks in the lobby! The hotel is a bit expensive for the area, but you are paying for the convenience of being so close to the hospital apparently. The staff is courteous and the hotel is a real gem!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed February 24, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel twice, most recently in February 2005. Both times I booked this hotel via Priceline, for an excellent price, so I've found it a great value.

The hotel is just a couple years old, with a beautiful modern lobby. The rooms are very nice, clean, and beds very comfortable. The location is good for the hospitals and Shadyside. Generally just a very attractive & spacious accomodation.

My minor disappointments with this hotel are 1: on our first stay there, there must've been a party upstairs, because we were awoken in the middle of the night to pounding bass. We contacted the hotel staff and to the hotel's credit, it was handled immediately 2: parking is expensive! though the neighborhood borders on some dodgier areas, we prefer to park on the street and feed the meter than pay the expensive hotel parking fees.

Would definitely stay there again if I have a need to be in the Shadyside/Oakland area.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2004

My family and I stayed here when I had surgery at the hospital across the street. We tried to get into the hospital family house, but they were full, and they reccomended the Courtyard. The staff was great and helped us with all our stuff for our week stay. They even gave us a surgical hospital rate since I was having surgery at UPMC. We did not park in thier lot, instead we had validated parking in the hospital garage. My family really liked the hotel and that is saying something, considering my family is very sensitive to public places and cleanliness of places. We were having some problems with my checkout from the hospital and the hotel gave my family a late checkout extension so we did not get charged a fee there. As my husband was loading the car and checking out after picking me up at the hospital, the staff asked how I was doing and wished us a safe trip home and a speedy recovery. How nice is that??!! An excelent place to stay. Walking distance to grocery store, resturants and shopping.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 27, 2004

Stayed at Courtyard Shadyside when we visited Univ of Pittsburgh with my son as part of his college decision process. As he's chosen Pitt, we expect to stay at Courtyard Shadyside often. It's clean, well maintained, and has small but nice exercise facilities. The price is reasonable. They only serve breakfast in the hotel, but there's a nice restaurant right around the corner where we had a good and inexpensive dinner.

3  Thank travelsforbusiness