“Very nice hotel”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My 8-year-old daughter and I spent an overnight in Pittsburgh to go to the zoo and the Aviary. We ended up staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Shadyside through Priceline. Location was pretty central to everything we ended up doing. Hotel was very nice and all of the staff was very friendly. There are two elevators and one was down for maintenance when we got there however the "closed" elevator was the only one that would open when we pressed the button. Front Desk staff called maintenance down to fix the problem immediately and within 10 minutes, we were able to get to our room. The room was very clean and updated. Beds were extra comfortable (we had a two queen bed room). My biggest complaint is no self-parking - you must do valet and they charge you $17.88 per day (includes taxes). We did use the pool and it was very clean however there was not hot tub.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Brandi G
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Brandi,

Our staff makes sincere hospitality their priority. Reflections like yours give us areas to improve our guest experience, as well as talking points to commend our staff. My apologies for your initial inconvenience due to elevator maintenance. I’m delighted to know you enjoyed our clean modern rooms and central location. Thank for taking the time to review your experience and we hope to see you again.

Best,
Alex Starr, GM

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here just one night on the college tour, and it hits the spot. Whether on business m-f or families on weekend, this one is Marriott at its best. The remodeling just got done, room stylish is smaller, but clean and humming...as nice as the property is, its the staff that makes this one shine. The hotel lost power the morning we were checking out, thank goodness later in am otherwise no ac, no elevators, cars stuck in lot, it was a mess...but staff and management swung into action and did all they could do reduce problems to guests..you dont often see upper management moving cars and hauling guests bags, but they did with smiles on their faces and apologies everywhere...this one's a gem. Would be a good base of operations for anything to do in Carnegie Mellon area, and everything else short drive.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Vic S,

Thank you for sharing your kind review with us and other travelers. It’s nice to know you enjoyed our remodeled rooms and convenient location. I’m so sorry for the power outage that occurred during your stay; but pleased to hear that our staff jumped into action. It’s encouraging to learn that our hard work is affecting the guest experience. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our team! Thank you taking the time to write.

Alex Starr, GM

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Overall, this was a decent Marriott. The room was nicely done and comfortable, and the furniture in the room was a bit "funky" but we liked it.

The downsides were: (1) it was incredibly expensive ... over $300 / night, which is not normally what we pay for a Marriott, (2) the valet parking was the only parking available and you couldn't even park yourself in their parking lot, (3) there were only two elevators and, as I think it was graduation weekend at Pitt, the wait was incredibly long, (4) the gym was very small, and (5) reservations had not received our amended itinerary so they charged us an extra night for the hotel.

The upsides were: (1) there was a nice Starbucks inside the hotel, (2) there was some kind of a gym at all, and (3) people at the front desk were pleasant.

Not sure we'd stay here again, but it was certainly some place that one could return to. I'd just do more comparative shopping on the rates.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sd_in_switzerland
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

sd_in_switzerland,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your honest assessment and sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of meeting your expectations. I am happy to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay overall and found our on-site Starbucks and friendly staff to be highlights to your visit. We value you as our guest and hope you'll give us another chance in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Other Oakland hotels were too close to busy streets with all the urban "issues" . This hotel is in Shadyside in a quieter area. There is still city noise but the area is more comfortable. Rooms are typical "Courtyard" size---smaller and arranged differently from other chain's rooms. There is a mini-refrigerator along with a coffee maker. The sink is outside the "bathroom"--- but behind a wall--still a lack of privacy and quiet. But, you can buy Starbucks coffee in the lobby---a real treat for me. No complimentary food, but an assortment of items for breakfast, lunch and dinner can be purchased. There is also a full-service bar. Be aware of the charge for parking---no self parking on site. Room was clean. There was the most unusual little couch---funny shape and a very stiff cushion. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia G
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

wilton3,
Thank you for choosing Courtyard Shadyside. We're glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay, as well as the convenience of Starbucks in the lobby. We appreciate your honest assessment and hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 8, 2014

i had the pleasure of staying at the Courtyard Marriott Shadyside several times since January of this year. I cannot stress enough how amazing the people who worked there are - I was incredibly impressed with how they navigated an extreme renovation in their hotel -lousy timing for me, I guess, as I got lost in all the curtained hallways and such - but I was amazed at how flexible and creative everyone seemed to be managing this.

More to the point, however, I was in town because a relative was undergoing treatment across the street at Shadyside Hospital and the staff at the Marriott allowed me to manage the strain of that, and my own mobility issues because they were always friendly, helpful, efficient and available.

I wish now that I had tracked the names of each of the people that went out of their way for me - but I would like to mention that Michael the Manager ? was fantastic and went out of his way many times to accommodate my special needs, ALL of the valets were also just fantastic, too!
And a special mention to the night man and valet for the emergency run for me and another stranded family in the wee hours of the morn to the airport, when all forms of taxis were not to be seen - making an executive decision to rescue us and make sure that we could get to home. (PS all folks beware of yellow cab taxi in Pittsburgh: it just doesn't work, and Super Shuttle failed me utterly. Pittsburgh is a fantastic city except for its strange lack of taxi service.) The cleaners were always polite and helpful and so was the breakfast gentleman. Even the people renovating around the hotel were friendly and polite. Sheesh.. I know that some of this is just Pittsburgh, but it seemed to be heavily concentrated at the hotel, and I greatly appreciate it and want to put it out there. My hotel stays were excellent as a result. I still am concerned that there is a policy (corporate?) that people who work in the lobby are not allowed to sit during their shift.. that is so unnecessary and bad for people's health and ability to service people. (I will write to your corporate office.) Thank you very, very much, though for the EXCELLENT SERVICE - and I would TOTALLY recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an easy comfortable stay close to the hospital.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 142lisa
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

142lisa,
Sincere thanks for your complimentary feedback from your Courtyard Shadyside experience. We appreciate your understanding as we worked to improve our facility during the renovation process and thank you for recognizing our staff's consistency in providing excellent service. Each member of our team strives to exceed guest expectations and I look forward to sharing your kind comments. Please continue to make us your number one choice hotel in the area. Thank you again for your review and patronage.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Near the Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center this hotel is under renovation. I stayed in one of the new rooms and was delighted. The design is clean and modern in shades of gray. The room was spacious with a comfortable couch and armchair. The bathroom came with a temperature- controlled shower and plenty of hot water but no bath. The bed was comfy but the sheets were not the crisp ironed variety that I love! Free fast internet everywhere was a nice bonus. All the usual amenities available including complimentary coffee. Room service was prompt with good inexpensive food. Overall, a great renovation.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Adrian G
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Adrian G,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Shadyside, and thank you for writing a review. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and found our spacious and comfortable accommodations to meet your satisfaction. Your feedback is important to us and we thank you once again for writing. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I am really enjoying the Courtyard updates and upgrades that Marriott has been working on over the last year or so. This is a very good hotel near downtown Pittsburgh. The staff was warm, friendly and well-trained (without being overly graciously ingratiating) . The property is clean, rooms are fresh and comfortable. And the breakfast buffet was reasonably priced. If you like classic Hyatts or Marriotts, try this Courtyard without missing anything!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RussontheRoad
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

RussontheRoad,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience at Courtyard Shadyside. It's great to hear you enjoy the new Courtyard branding updates, and we're glad our central location, friendly staff, and clean accommodations made for an enjoyable stay. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for writing and sharing your recommendations of our great hotel.

Best regards,