“The Amazing People at the Marriott Shadyside: Make it Shangri-La”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 8, 2014

i had the pleasure of staying at the Courtyard Marriott Shadyside several times since January of this year. I cannot stress enough how amazing the people who worked there are - I was incredibly impressed with how they navigated an extreme renovation in their hotel -lousy timing for me, I guess, as I got lost in all the curtained hallways and such - but I was amazed at how flexible and creative everyone seemed to be managing this.

More to the point, however, I was in town because a relative was undergoing treatment across the street at Shadyside Hospital and the staff at the Marriott allowed me to manage the strain of that, and my own mobility issues because they were always friendly, helpful, efficient and available.

I wish now that I had tracked the names of each of the people that went out of their way for me - but I would like to mention that Michael the Manager ? was fantastic and went out of his way many times to accommodate my special needs, ALL of the valets were also just fantastic, too!
And a special mention to the night man and valet for the emergency run for me and another stranded family in the wee hours of the morn to the airport, when all forms of taxis were not to be seen - making an executive decision to rescue us and make sure that we could get to home. (PS all folks beware of yellow cab taxi in Pittsburgh: it just doesn't work, and Super Shuttle failed me utterly. Pittsburgh is a fantastic city except for its strange lack of taxi service.) The cleaners were always polite and helpful and so was the breakfast gentleman. Even the people renovating around the hotel were friendly and polite. Sheesh.. I know that some of this is just Pittsburgh, but it seemed to be heavily concentrated at the hotel, and I greatly appreciate it and want to put it out there. My hotel stays were excellent as a result. I still am concerned that there is a policy (corporate?) that people who work in the lobby are not allowed to sit during their shift.. that is so unnecessary and bad for people's health and ability to service people. (I will write to your corporate office.) Thank you very, very much, though for the EXCELLENT SERVICE - and I would TOTALLY recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an easy comfortable stay close to the hospital.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 142lisa
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

142lisa,
Sincere thanks for your complimentary feedback from your Courtyard Shadyside experience. We appreciate your understanding as we worked to improve our facility during the renovation process and thank you for recognizing our staff's consistency in providing excellent service. Each member of our team strives to exceed guest expectations and I look forward to sharing your kind comments. Please continue to make us your number one choice hotel in the area. Thank you again for your review and patronage.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Near the Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center this hotel is under renovation. I stayed in one of the new rooms and was delighted. The design is clean and modern in shades of gray. The room was spacious with a comfortable couch and armchair. The bathroom came with a temperature- controlled shower and plenty of hot water but no bath. The bed was comfy but the sheets were not the crisp ironed variety that I love! Free fast internet everywhere was a nice bonus. All the usual amenities available including complimentary coffee. Room service was prompt with good inexpensive food. Overall, a great renovation.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Adrian G
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Adrian G,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Shadyside, and thank you for writing a review. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and found our spacious and comfortable accommodations to meet your satisfaction. Your feedback is important to us and we thank you once again for writing. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I am really enjoying the Courtyard updates and upgrades that Marriott has been working on over the last year or so. This is a very good hotel near downtown Pittsburgh. The staff was warm, friendly and well-trained (without being overly graciously ingratiating) . The property is clean, rooms are fresh and comfortable. And the breakfast buffet was reasonably priced. If you like classic Hyatts or Marriotts, try this Courtyard without missing anything!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RussontheRoad
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

RussontheRoad,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience at Courtyard Shadyside. It's great to hear you enjoy the new Courtyard branding updates, and we're glad our central location, friendly staff, and clean accommodations made for an enjoyable stay. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for writing and sharing your recommendations of our great hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our king room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. The usual amenities - iron and ironing board, hair dryer, refrigerator, coffee maker. The built in desk had a separate roll out table underneath the could be used as a dining table or additional work space - a nice feature I've not seen elsewhere. The hotel has an indoor pool with spa, exercise room, and internet station in the lobby. WIFI is free, parking is $18. daily. There are also a small bar and restaurant. The restaurant doesn't seem to do much business - in fact, it was open only for breakfast during our stay - but there are several restaurants within a 10 minute walk. I would recommend skipping the hotel breakfast and heading for the Panera just down the street.

All the staff are very friendly - we really felt they valued our business. When the desk clerk learned we were in town to someone in hospital, we were given a special discount which we weren't even aware of.

All in all, a well run and welcoming place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DOD56

DOD56,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with at Courtyard Shadyside. It's great to know that you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable rooms, as well as our friendly staff. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we hope to extend our hospitality to you again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Average courtyard, clean rooms, comfortable beds. Annoying to pay for parking. Convenient location for universities. If you are looking for the Starbucks - it has a separate entrance. I would return her.e.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura G
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were here for two nights/3 days for a college visit to Pitt. The hotel is VERY college-visit friendly and we were treated so hospitably. Although I wasn't thrilled with the mandatory daily parking/valet fee it was countered with the VERY convenient free shuttle within a 3 mile radius. That meant we were able to be dropped right in front of Pitt's Alumni Hall by the complimentary shuttle with no concern for finding parking and no worries about feeding a meter b/c our car was back at the hotel. Then when we were ready to be picked up after a day at Pitt, the driver was there in minutes to get us! FABULOUS. We also used the complimentary shuttle to be dropped at the restaurant of our choice that evening for dinner--and picked up again, within minutes of our call for a return trip back to the hotel.

Also, we arrived late on Friday and were tired and so hungry. We were thrilled that there was a restaurant on-site and that it was open until 10pm. Since it was 9:30pm I was thinking our meal might reflect that it was the "end of the day" back in the kitchen but I was wrong. It was freshly prepared and not one speck tired. Excellent.

What else did I dig?

Our room was clean--and FIVE pillows PER BED!
Paul Mitchel shampoo and conditioner. Nice job Marriott!
Coffee pot NOT in the bathroom! YEA!
Nice thick towels, not the skinny scratchy kind
Ginger at the front desk was so nice along with every other person we connected with! Valets were sooooo attentive!

If my daughter does chose Pitt for college, this will be my go-to hotel when visiting her in lovely PA!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

LightQueen,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Courtyard Shadyside. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while on a college visit with your daughter. We're pleased to hear that our complimentary shuttle service provided value added convenience to your travels, and we're glad our comfortable accommodations and excellent service made or an enjoyable stay. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our staff and I'll be certain to recognize Ginger with a special commendation for her warm hospitality. Please continue to make Courtyard Shadyside your number one choice hotel in Pittsburgh. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a good location, but the service sets it apart. Everyone was amazingly accommodating - the valet staff, the front desk, the restaurant staff, housekeeping, and management. My family and I were made to feel welcome from the time we got out of the car until the time we left.

Room Tip: No bathtubs on upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

mslktk,
We're happy to hear from you, and we're glad you enjoyed your weekend stay with us at Courtyard Shadyside. Nothing brings us greater satisfaction than recognition of our staff's excellence in service. We have a great team of dedicated associates that strive daily to engage with our guests and provide exceptional experiences. We hope to have an opportunity to extend our hospitality to you and your family again in the near future. Thank you again for writing.