“Solid choice”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our king room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. The usual amenities - iron and ironing board, hair dryer, refrigerator, coffee maker. The built in desk had a separate roll out table underneath the could be used as a dining table or additional work space - a nice feature I've not seen elsewhere. The hotel has an indoor pool with spa, exercise room, and internet station in the lobby. WIFI is free, parking is $18. daily. There are also a small bar and restaurant. The restaurant doesn't seem to do much business - in fact, it was open only for breakfast during our stay - but there are several restaurants within a 10 minute walk. I would recommend skipping the hotel breakfast and heading for the Panera just down the street.

All the staff are very friendly - we really felt they valued our business. When the desk clerk learned we were in town to someone in hospital, we were given a special discount which we weren't even aware of.

All in all, a well run and welcoming place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DOD56
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

DOD56,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with at Courtyard Shadyside. It's great to know that you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable rooms, as well as our friendly staff. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we hope to extend our hospitality to you again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Average courtyard, clean rooms, comfortable beds. Annoying to pay for parking. Convenient location for universities. If you are looking for the Starbucks - it has a separate entrance. I would return her.e.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura G
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were here for two nights/3 days for a college visit to Pitt. The hotel is VERY college-visit friendly and we were treated so hospitably. Although I wasn't thrilled with the mandatory daily parking/valet fee it was countered with the VERY convenient free shuttle within a 3 mile radius. That meant we were able to be dropped right in front of Pitt's Alumni Hall by the complimentary shuttle with no concern for finding parking and no worries about feeding a meter b/c our car was back at the hotel. Then when we were ready to be picked up after a day at Pitt, the driver was there in minutes to get us! FABULOUS. We also used the complimentary shuttle to be dropped at the restaurant of our choice that evening for dinner--and picked up again, within minutes of our call for a return trip back to the hotel.

Also, we arrived late on Friday and were tired and so hungry. We were thrilled that there was a restaurant on-site and that it was open until 10pm. Since it was 9:30pm I was thinking our meal might reflect that it was the "end of the day" back in the kitchen but I was wrong. It was freshly prepared and not one speck tired. Excellent.

What else did I dig?

Our room was clean--and FIVE pillows PER BED!
Paul Mitchel shampoo and conditioner. Nice job Marriott!
Coffee pot NOT in the bathroom! YEA!
Nice thick towels, not the skinny scratchy kind
Ginger at the front desk was so nice along with every other person we connected with! Valets were sooooo attentive!

If my daughter does chose Pitt for college, this will be my go-to hotel when visiting her in lovely PA!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

LightQueen,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Courtyard Shadyside. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while on a college visit with your daughter. We're pleased to hear that our complimentary shuttle service provided value added convenience to your travels, and we're glad our comfortable accommodations and excellent service made or an enjoyable stay. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our staff and I'll be certain to recognize Ginger with a special commendation for her warm hospitality. Please continue to make Courtyard Shadyside your number one choice hotel in Pittsburgh. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a good location, but the service sets it apart. Everyone was amazingly accommodating - the valet staff, the front desk, the restaurant staff, housekeeping, and management. My family and I were made to feel welcome from the time we got out of the car until the time we left.

Room Tip: No bathtubs on upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

mslktk,
We're happy to hear from you, and we're glad you enjoyed your weekend stay with us at Courtyard Shadyside. Nothing brings us greater satisfaction than recognition of our staff's excellence in service. We have a great team of dedicated associates that strive daily to engage with our guests and provide exceptional experiences. We hope to have an opportunity to extend our hospitality to you and your family again in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at this Courtyard in September, 2013 for two nights. Pros of the hotel include: convenient location, very nice lobby with bar and classy common areas, large rooms. Staff was friendly. The beds are very comfortable. Wireless was fast. Starbucks in lobby! Good shampoo offered.Cons include: Carpet needs refreshed, especially in the hallways. Valet is the only parking option and it costs $17. Room was clean overall but the carpet took away from the overall impression of cleanliness. Bathroom tub wasn't all that clean either, or at least you could say it was heavily used. There were knats flying around but I think that was just due to the time of the year (I hope not for any other reason!).

Other comments: Pool area is very nice but heavily chlorinated to the point the fumes were distracting. Breakfast looked really good but I didn't try it so I can't confirm it was worth the money (it's not free).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

vivace21,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your Courtyard Shadyside experience. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay and found our convenient location, friendly staff, and variety of amenities well suited for your travels. We sincerely appreciate your feedback on opportunities for improvement. I assure you we will take your comments into consideration for improving our property and overall guest experience. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located in the Shadyside area. We stayed here while moving our son to go to Carnegie Mellon University. It is very clean and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are average, very clean and comfortable, although they could use some updating. It is not a fancy 5 star hotel but definitely worth staying at if you are looking for clean, comfortable and centrally located in Shadyside. They also have a $9.95 breakfast buffet which is very good. At first glance, I didn't think it was going to be so good, but it was one of the best omelets I have ever eaten! Also, I heard they were updating the hotel soon and that they are building another building across the way.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Margaret M,
Thank you for sharing feedback on your Courtyard Shadyside experience. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while moving your son into Carnegie Mellon University. We’re pleased to know our clean hotel, comfortable accommodations, and central location met your satisfaction. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside. I booked this room through Priceline using "Name Your Own Price" and got a winning bid for this hotel. Myself and a friend stayed in the room (two people). I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

I am sure the hotel gave me the best room they had at the time I checked-in and I am sure that this is how they give out the rooms to all guests whether they booked through Priceline or directly through Marriott. There was never a mention of Priceline. I applaud the hotel for this.

My room had a king-size bed and a sofa-bed in the room. There was a balcony and I loved that feature. The room was spacious. There was definitely space for a roll-away bed or two (you might have to pay extra for extra people though). There was a mini refrigerator in the room. The fridge is sort of built into the dresser between drawers and behind a wooden door. It does not have a freezer. There was no microwave in the room. There was a sitting area with the sofa-bed, an upholstered chair, coffee table and an end table. I love having this sitting area.

The hotel is in a great location. I really like my room. It had a balcony with a great view of a huge historical church made of stone. A really beautiful church with very nice landscaping around it.

Everything was extremely clean in the room. The rug was really clean -- neither my socks, nor my bare feet got dirty. The A/C worked really well in my room and I am glad because the weather was very hot during labor day weekend. There is a switch on the A/C unit for the fan speed and the temperature is controlled by a thermostat located on the wall. The Internet in my room worked very well. There was a cable to hook up a cable directly to my laptop and they also had wireless access that also worked very well. You can send documents to be printed from your room to the printer in the business center in the lobby of the hotel. Be sure to ask the desk clerk on how to send documents to the printer. There were no instructions in my room about it. The business center is very nice and has two computers available for guests to use. The shampoo, hair conditioner and body lotion provided by the hotel are premium -- actually they were PAUL MITCHELL. The sink area is separate from the bathroom and you cannot see the sink area from the main part of the room and provides privacy there. There is a separate area for the coffee machine. I never used the coffee machine because there was free coffee available in the lobby with real dairy half & half. If you prefer, something more there is a Starbuck's in the hotel on the first floor but you will have to pay there.

Breakfast was not included in the price of my room but as I understand, the hotel does offer a breakfast package deal that includes a breakfast buffet. The Shadyside neighborhood has some of the best restaurants and they are in walking distance from the hotel. For breakfast I recommend Pamela's on Walnut Street. Pamela's is very reasonably priced. Pamela's is famous for their crepe hotcakes. I got the crepe hotcakes stuffed with strawberries and it was the best breakfast ever. On another day at Pamela's, I got an omelette and it was one of the best omelettes I have ever had. President Obama and his family and Vice President Biden have eaten at Pamela's. On my third day, I ate breakfast at another location and wished that I had returned to Pamela's because Pamela's food was so much better.

Parking within the city limits of Pittsburgh is expensive and difficult to find a space. It is like this all over. The hotel provides valet-only parking at $18 per day. You get in/out privileges with the hotel's valet parking. There is no self-parking at the hotel. They only have valet. You could try parking on the street but you better make sure you are parked in a legal spot and that you have paid the appropriate fee. They do not have meters on the street. Instead you go to a central vending box located on the curb. There you enter your license plate and get a receipt. The boxes require EXACT CHANGE or you can use a credit card. The parking is crazy in Pittsburgh and the drivers are even crazier. The hotel's parking is in-line with what you will end up paying anywhere else in the area.

The hotel also has a small fitness room with a lot of aerobic machines (treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes) crammed into it. It also has some dumbbells and free weights. It looked very clean but I did not use it. There also is a very nice indoor pool and hot tub that also looked very clean and tempting but I did not use it either.

The hotel is beautiful and well-designed and decorated but the best part of this hotel is its incredible staff who were wonderful and friendly. The hotel's staff always said "YES" to me -- I never, ever heard them say, "no". The staff had a friendly, warm and energetic attitude.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WoodyAutumn
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

WoodyAutumn,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at Courtyard Shadyside. I loved all your observations and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your complimentary feedback regarding our helpful staff, clean accommodations, and great hotel highlight our core objective in providing an exceptional stay for each guest. We’re happy to have had you as our guest, and we hope you’ll stay with us again the next time you travel to Pittsburgh. Thank you again for writing.