“Disappointing”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This Marriott is extremely disappointing. I stay here very regularly due to its convenient location to my companies headquarters but that will end.

The rooms at this hotel are average. My main complaint is that the mattresses are terrible. They are very thin and old.

The internet speeds are incredibly slow.

The hotel gym is so pathedic that it is almost amusing. The gym is about the size of a walk-in closet. There are 3 treadmills. All 3 of them are insufficient for running and one of them is seriously the most pathetic looking treadmill that I have ever seen. The only thing that I can think of is that it is in there as a joke or meant for a kid who is under 4 feet tall. There are also a very limited amount of dumbbells and thats it.

Courtyards DO NOT GIVE FREE BREAKFAST TO MARRIOTT GOLD MEMBERS! Hello, almost every other brand (including Hilton) gives free breakfast to their Gold and higher members. Why is Marriott so behind?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IlmNCPanther
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

IlmNCPanther,
Thank you for writing. I am very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience and sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of meeting your expectations. Your feedback is important to us and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to make amends when you were to return to the Pittsburgh area. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We enjoyed our overnight stay here to get our son settled at Carnegie Mellon, but I wish this hotel did not insist on valet parking. They have a nice, big above-ground parking lot surrounding the premises, and parking should come with the price of the hotel. If they want to keep out non-guests, they could always require guests to put tickets on their dashboards.
Another curious thing was that the front-desk staff greeted us like long-lost friends yet, a couple hours later, asked us for names and IDs when we needed to get back into our rooms and the extra keys given to us did not work. I certainly do not expect that they should remember every person, yet, in that case, a more conservative friendly greeting up front would be in order. This may sound like a strange complaint, but it is something the hotel should be aware of!
One more thing--I had asked for a room with a sofabed because our son would be with us, yet we pulled out the bed to find it unmade. We were not about to drag someone up at 10 p.m. to make it so did it ourselves, but my thought was that this type of service should be included if someone requests the sofabed. The hotel is not cheap, after all!
Otherwise, we like the hotel. When we were about to leave and looking at the lovely waterfall behind the hotel, it meant a lot to us that a staff member came up and asked us how our stay had been.

Room Tip: Parents with kids can get a king with a sofabed here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

MadameCoCo,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback on our opportunities to best satisfy our guests. We really appreciate your positive feedback and will share with our entire team and I am happy we were able to be a part of your visit to Pittsburgh. We look forward to your return stays as your visiting your son at Carnegie Mellon.

Alex Starr

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm a regular Marriott customer and have learned to count on their comfortable beds, clean rooms, and reliable friendly service. So when I used Priceline and was notified I'd be staying in a Marriott I was happy. As I've come to expect, the service at the front desk was very friendly, the room and hotel very clean, and the bed comfortable. However there were some things that disappointed. First, the person at the front desk asked what type of room I'd like and I requested a room on the backside of the hotel on an upper floor. She seemed all set to give me this when something came back on the computer that said she couldn't. I can only assume it was because I was a Priceline customer (Marriotts choice to participate). She instead had to put me on the second floor facing the parking lot and a major street. At first this was not an issue - however around 5 a.m. when the rush hour traffic started, the noise level became loud and sustained. Second, the air conditioning unit was the old style that is very loud and kicks on and off thru the night. In addition, though the room was very clean and nice, the TV reception quality was terrible. This is a common issue I've found with many hotels including Marriott. They invest in the nice flat screen TV's but then do nothing to ensure the picture quality even begins to approach what most of us can get over the air on our home TV's. Finally, as others have noted, you have to pay valet parking at this hotel - something that will cost over $20 a day once you add in tax and tip. If are scheduled to arrive later in the day and are only staying for the night, I'd recommend you park on the street. Parking is free overnight and you just need to pay starting at 8 a.m. in the morning. Be careful though, there is some street parking right next to the hotel that is restricted during rush hour. The hotel is in a convenient location if you are visiting the local Universities or the next door hospital and has plenty of things to do within a short drive or walk but if you have trouble sleeping with noise from a/c or street you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank edlanm
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

edlanm,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you’ve come to expect from us. I can assure you that our front desk associates are trained to make every effort to accommodate each guest regardless of what channel the reservation was made through. We value your business and your loyalty to our brand. We do hope you’ll consider staying with us again. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Recently my husband and I took a trip to the Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Valley Forge and Pittsburgh areas. While coming in to the Pittsburgh area we were looking for a hotel and I was reading different TA reviews but couldn't find one with what I wanted. We had been driving for 7 hours and really wanted a hot tub/ pool area to relax. I called the Marriott people and they said this location was the only one near us that had a hot tub. It was a little out of our way but we decided to try it. Driving in towards the downtown area we went through many run down neighborhoods and wondered what we had gotten ourselves in to! By the way,this hotel only had one room left due to a cancellation so we took it just to make sure we had a place to lay our heads! I also spoke to a nice young man on the phone who was patient and professional so that also led us to try the location. Anyway, we got there and it looked pretty good so we were relieved! We did have to valet park $13 (no self park). As we walked in the lobby they all were friendly and greeted us and the place looked amazing! It had a large sitting area with upholstered chairs, a nice business area, a coffee bar and a nice regular bar where we got drinks after we checked in, and it was open with a bartender until 11pm. Through the windows we could see an outdoor sitting area with 3 waterfall type features and nice landscaping. Our room was a 2-queen and it was on the 6th floor with a decent view and it was large with a sitting area. The pool was not full of people or kids and it was clean and the hot tub was hot enough but the jets were shooting so hard it was like being shot with fire hoses--we did tell them about this. OK, so we were hungry and they had a free shuttle to take us and pick us up at a restaurant. We wanted Italian/wine and they recommended a place called Girasole in a nearby neighborhood, It was excellent! We walked past the outdoor seating down to the inner area with stone walls and close together tables, Italian landscape pics on the walls. Our server was friendly and we asked if the kitchen could make us Carbonara since it wasn't listed on the menu. She said they could if they had the ingredients. Well they didn't have peas or prosciutto but they made it for us (substituted a meat) and it was FABULOUS! The wines were good too. The little old man owner came over and toasted with us as well. Great ambiance and great food. It was a tad loud until some of the people started leaving. The shuttle picked us up and we went back to the hotel for a comfortable night's sleep. This place is not a typical Courtyard! It was not cheap, but worth it! Our room was $209.00 and maybe it was a suite--I'm not sure--it is just what they had left....plus taxes of $34.00 and $13.00 valet..........Anyway--I recommend it!

Room Tip: our room was on the top floor--6th and it had a decent view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

thistrip,
Thank you for sharing feedback on your Courtyard Shadyside experience. We appreciate you selecting our hotel during your travels, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. I’m pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations with our comfortable accommodations, excellent service, and the value added amenities that we’re proud to offer our guests. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to Pittsburgh. Thank you again for writing and sharing your recommendations of our great hotel.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Okay. I have hundreds of thousands of Marriott reward points and I thought this Courtyard was average at best. Linens and towels in our rooms were badly worn. Furniture was banged up pretty good and the air conditioning unit was a mess. In fact, the rattling and the noise were just awful. One reviewer talked about hearing emergency vehicles since the hotel is adjacent to a hospital. Clearly, our air conditioning unit took care of that issue.

Positives...very nice front desk folks and a Starbucks on site.

Maybe Mr.Marriott can spring for some new towels. I use better towels to wash my cars. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

BTrun78,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I really love staying in the big Marriotts downtown. They give great service and have great facilities. This Courtyard had all that the big guys have to offer.

The location is great, close to where I was meeting. Not easy to find but that is more about Pittsburgh topography than it is about the hotel.

The staff is absolutely top notch, very friendly and helpful. The valet was backed up so the Ops Manager came out and tagged my car for me. Nice touch. He even directed me to a little pizza place with really good food and delivery.

I even give them bonus points for having a real breakfast in the morning rather than the Cafe thign that so many Courtyards have gone to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

NorthCostGuy,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your experience with us at Courtyard Shadyside. I’m pleased to hear our friendly service made for an enjoyable stay and our convenient location suited your travel needs. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff was great! It was clean. And it was walking distance to pnc park which was our reason for the visit. The pool was located on the same floor as our room which was great for our son. The shuttle service was nice and the drivers were beyond nice and helpful

• Stayed: July 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

leone63,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Shadyside. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your visit to Pittsburgh and PNC Park. It’s great to hear your son enjoyed the pool and you found our clean hotel, friendly staff, and convenient location well suited for your travels. We hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again for more family fun. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,