“Very Unique!!”
Review of Mattress Factory

Mattress Factory
Ranked #42 of 183 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1977, the Mattress Factory is a contemporary art museum and experimental lab featuring site-specific installations created by artists in residence from around the world. All the works at the Mattress Factory are conceived in the space you view them in. The museum consists of three buildings in the historic Mexican War Streets. Please visit the main building at 500 Sampsonia Way (set your GPS to 505 Jacksonia Street to find our parking lot) to visit the Admissions Desk before you begin your visit. The MF Café offers delicious fare from Coca Cafe in Lawrenceville. The MF Shop is open during normal museum hours. Museum admission is not required to shop or dine!
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Don't listen to the negative reviews. My family absolutely loved this museum, and I have three teenagers! I have been to many museums but nothing even remotely like the Mattress Factory. Their art is so unique and different and thought provoking. The only thing I would say is that it is not the best place to take small children.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went here for a second time in May after visiting last year because I had gone without my daughter the first time and thought that she definitely needed to visit the Mattress Factory. It is full of very unique installation art. Every floor that you visit contains several different installation pieces. The part of it I loved the most was that it takes art of the canvas as it is usually presented and challenges the way in which you see art. Located in a quiet neighbourhood in Pittsburgh in a maze of narrow one-way streets it is definitely worth finding. We also got to see the second building with a three-floor installation by the same artist where it was all done with string like spiderwebs.

If you are interested in innovative art, I would definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

This place was one of the coollest and most interesting museums I have ever been too. It has been around for decades and is 4 (5?) floors of installation art with another 3 floor building down the street. It is odd and strange and through provoking. We got lost in the different exhibits for hours. This is a must see in Pittsburgh. Incredibly fascinating and fun!

2  Thank Molly M
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I have never been a fan of installation art but this place changed my opinion. The exhibits are well set up and give explanations that help the viewer to understand the intent of the artist. Really fun and interactive art. I will definitely be back!

1  Thank Maria N
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We expected to spend a half hour but instead were there for two hours. The art was fascinating. Each installation was one-of-a-kind and each appealed to different perceptions –space, color, time. My husband’s favorite was an illusion created by red light being projected into a corner of a pitch black room. Mine was a fully mirrored room that played with dots. Lots of others were also captivating --sitting in the totally black room, each of us had different sensations and observations.

We enjoyed every minute of the Mattress Factory, even the light lunch in their café.

If you’ve never seen hundreds of images of yourself at the same time or experienced total darkness and how that plays with your perceptions, and other visually fascinating art, this is the place for you. It might be called The Mattress Factory but I promise you won’t fall asleep there (and, don’t worry -- the images wont keep you awake at night.