“Can't wait to go back!”
Review of National Aviary

National Aviary
Ranked #14 of 183 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing collection of more than 600 exotic and endangered birds from nearly every continent.
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I wasn't sure what to expect and I basically dragged my husband with me. I am an amatuer photographer who likes to photograph birds and the aviary did not disappoint.

There were lots of free-roaming and flying birds with lots of timed programs throughout the day. We got to feed the birds, watch them do tricks, and learn about them from the great staff. My husband even enjoyed himself and would like to go back. He was excited that a bird came and took food right from his hand.

It is not a very large place, but they are adding on currently. Parking is free. There is a small gift shop, but no cafe or eating area.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

We live in the Pittsburgh area but hadn't been to the aviary for several years. Boy were we surprised at the lack of everything on our recent visit. Much of the Aviary is under construction but there is no discount on the price. We had 3 adults and 4 kids and it was $75 to get in! We were finished looking at everything in under an hour then watched two shows about 15-20 minutes each, one of which spent half the time trying to get you to donate money by giving bills to the birds to put in their donation boxes. There is no where to get a drink or snack for the kids. If you are in the Pittsburgh area I would highly recommend skipping the Aviary and visiting the zoo instead. The best part of our visit is walking through the park to the local ice ball man....he is the best!

Reviewed July 28, 2010

I love penguins....their exhibit is the closest I have ever been to penguins. You are within touching distance. If you love penguins, it is worth it. The other rooms were all worth while. You get very close to the bald eagles as well. It took us about 1.5 hours to look at everything. It is very quiet and non-commercialized.

1  Thank mbickel17
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I was disappointed with this visit. My main reason was the price ($12.00 per person) compared to the size of the aviary. The aviary's different exhibits are nice, but they really only add up to about 4 rooms of different types of birds. The exhibits are aesthetically pleasing and the birds are beautiful. The penguin area is neat and people can crawl underneath the exhibit to get a "birds eye view" of the penguins. I personally just don't feel there there was enough at the National Aviary to support the high price. I recommed this aviary to you If you are a big bird lover and don't mind the price; otherwise save your money.

Reviewed January 22, 2010

My two-year-old son and I just got home from visiting the Aviary again, and we had a great time. The staff is incredibly friendly (especially to someone with a toddler in tow) and my son was captivated by the birds. We were able to see two feeding shows in just a couple of hours, and he loved climbing through the penguin exhibit. The penguin enclosure is the perfect size for getting a great view of the birds. It isn't a huge facility, but that really makes it perfect for someone with little kids. I'd even go by myself just to watch the birds, and this is coming from someone who's incredibly cheap!