“Lots of birds”
Review of National Aviary

National Aviary
Ranked #14 of 178 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing collection of more than 600 exotic and endangered birds from nearly every continent.
Baltimore, Maryland
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Lots of birds”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The aviary was fun to visit, and, if I had children with me, it would be a great place. The displays are well organized and well maintained, with plenty of staff available to answer questions. I am never sure if the animals are lucky to be there (such as the eagles rescued from the wild after being injured) or not...

Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great visit”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I visited with my 2 nieces and her 3 year old. We were very happy with each exhibit. There were lots of feedings and good education. We loved the penguins, pelicans, bird show, grasslands and Lorie's. Well laid out. We were there approx 2 hrs. The 3 year old held up well. Highly recommend.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Small and pricey but intimate and uncrowded”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The aviary is very clean and not cluttered. It is easy to get around. The birds they do have are very interactive. Almost all of this is inside, so it is good to go to on a rainy day. It is slightly pricey to get in (although we used a reciprocal membership from our zoo to get 50% off), but this keeps it uncrowded. And, without crowds, you have a clean environment that is very modern. There is a nice small restaurant, but I do not know if you may bring in your own picnic lunch. We spent about 2 hours there. My 6 year old daughter loved it. Her favorite part was looking for all the penguins names on their name bands. Oh, and the open aviary where the song birds fly.

West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Birthday Party”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Frandaufghter had her birthday there and they had a very nice program for the child. The main building is just like being where the birds are from .Kids loved the birds.

Visited March 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Birds fly free!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I hadn't been to the Aviary since I was in elementary school (we just never thought to go). Anyway, I took my husband and we had a blast! We had so much fun that we went again with his parents when they came to visit. The birds fly free in a lot of the exhibits and there is a section where you can feed birds during specified times (extra charge). Favorite things: trying to get the kookaburra to laugh, the tiny owls that burrow into the ground and penguin feedings. Beware of leaning on railings in the open exhibits. They're usually clean, but better safe than sorry.

Visited April 2013