“Birds fly free!”
Review of National Aviary

National Aviary
Ranked #14 of 185 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing collection of more than 600 exotic and endangered birds from nearly every continent.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I hadn't been to the Aviary since I was in elementary school (we just never thought to go). Anyway, I took my husband and we had a blast! We had so much fun that we went again with his parents when they came to visit. The birds fly free in a lot of the exhibits and there is a section where you can feed birds during specified times (extra charge). Favorite things: trying to get the kookaburra to laugh, the tiny owls that burrow into the ground and penguin feedings. Beware of leaning on railings in the open exhibits. They're usually clean, but better safe than sorry.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I hate to tell you not to go, because it really is an excellent facility with many birds and opportunities to be educated. But it felt a little small in relation to the entry fee. We were there for about half an hour maximum, I'd say, and unless you buy a specialty package or watch a show, I'm not sure what would take longer to explore than that.

That being said, if you do go, my favorite part was the Grasslands exhibit, since the birds not only roam free (there were several exhibits with "free" birds, which was nice) but are very active and entertaining, wandering in your path on multiple occasions.

On the day we were there, the Lories exhibit wasn't open, which was a shame because they're always fun.

We spent at least 15 or 20 minutes chatting with one of the volunteers. Their staff is very friendly and knowledgeable, which is a great plus.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Be sure to enjoy the shows that are often presented. And don't miss the feedings! Parking is easy and you pay on the honor system. It's a beautiful facility!

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

The Pittsburgh National Avary is a must visit when your in Pittsburgh! Exotic Birds from all over the world, to look at! The are also involved in bird rescue and help hurt birds return to the wild! The entire family will enjoy this trip!!! Go!!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I (husband and 8 year old son) went to the National Aviary in August of 2013. We had a fantastic time. This was our big family vacation this summer(trying to stay on a strict budget) and I budgeted for this to be our big splurge. We had gotten a great deal on our hotel package that included tickets. We paid for an additional AWESOME personal penguin encounter for my son and myself. It was amazing!! We got to learn all about a penguin, pet her, and get our pictures with her. The volunteer educator was phenomenal and we really had a great experience. If cost prevents one of these encounters, I still found the aviary to be amazing. So many different kind of birds! It's wonderful to see them fly around similar to their natural environment. We also fed the lorikeets which is always fun! We also did one of the flight shows. They were falcons, and birds of prey that flew over the rooftop benches and demonstrated their hunting abilities. It was awesome! And hot, on the roof... All in all we found this to be an excellent trip and worth the money. If you or your child(ren) enjoy birds, it's worth it. We would likely visit again if my son asks! Also, all photos were taken by my 8 year old.